Baseball Signs Seven During Fall Early Signing Period

Bogus Smith

Some good news that got missed by the Thanksgiving celebration. I think with Rob being back involved with Team USA, our recruiting could benefit positively.

Baseball Signs Seven During Fall Early Signing Period

TULSA— Oral Roberts University head baseball coach Rob Walton recently announced the signing of seven future student-athletes to National Letters-of-Intent.

Among the recruits are five junior college signees and two high school student-athletes. The 2011 class includes: INF Nate Goro (Jefferson (Mo.) College), LHP Michaelangelo Guzman (Hartnell (Calif.) College), OF Kentrell Hill (Arkansas Baptist), RHP Nick Quezada (Cerritos College), RHP Andrew Walter (Yavapai College), RHP Phillip Wilson (Owasso (Okla.) HS), and C/3B Jose Trevino (Corpus Christi (Texas) John Paul II HS).

“We addressed our needs during the early signing period,” said Walton. “We needed some pitching and outfield depth and we got it. Overall, I’m really pleased with the players we signed.”

Nate Goro * 6-0 * 185 * INF * Wildwood, Mo. (Jefferson College)

Played last season at Wichita State where he batted .275-2-12 in 44 games, making 29 starts … recently ranked as the 48th-best junior college Major League Baseball draft prospect in the country by Perfect Game USA … 2009 graduate of Lafayette High School in Wildwood, Mo. … drafted in the 46th round by the Detroit Tigers in 2009 … batted .518 as a senior and broke school single-season home run record which was previously held by current Philadelphia Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard … named All-State, all-metro and all-conference as a senior … outstanding all-round athlete also earned all conference honors in football as a junior … chose ORU over Baylor, Missouri State and Missouri … says Walton: “Nathan is a quality athlete who can play either third base or shortstop, but I expect him to play short for us. He reminds me a lot of (former shortstop) Adam Younger. Nathan can hit, he has an above-average arm and really good all-round tools. I expect him to have an immediate impact on our club.”

Michaelangelo Guzman * 5-11 * 210 * LHP * Soledad, Calif. (Hartnell College)

Currently a sophomore at Hartnell College in Salinas, Calif. … earned second-team all-conference honors after posting a 7-3 record and 3.38 ERA … tossed 72.0 innings, striking out 68 and allowing 56 hits … 2009 graduate of Soledad High School … ended career as Soledad’s career, single-season and single-game leader in strikeouts … also belted eight home runs as a senior … three-time all-league selection … chose ORU over USC and others … says Walton: “Michelangelo is a power left-hander, something we haven’t had a lot of in recent years. His fastball is 86-90 and he owns an above-average curveball. He could fill a lot of roles for us, everything from a weekend starting pitcher to a situational reliever. He’ll give us a lot of options, and he’s only going to get better.”

Kentrell Hill * 6-0 * 180 * OF * Ashdown, Ark. (Arkansas Baptist)

Currently a sophomore at Arkansas Baptist College in Little Rock, Ark. … played last season at Cisco Junior College in Cisco, Texas where he batted .356 … 2009 graduate of Ashdown High School … two-time All-State and three-time all-conference pick … named conference MVP as a senior … chose ORU over Arkansas State, Grambling State and Marshall … says Walton: “Kentrell is a five-tool player. He has an above-average arm, he’s a great runner and he will eventually have above-average power. He’ll have a chance to be a high draft pick after spending a year with us. Kentrell can hit anywhere from 1-6 in our lineup, and he’s a guy who could come in and steal 30-40 bases. He’s a good athlete who’s just beginning to tap into his potential.”

Nick Quezada * 6-1 * 185 * RHP * Bellflower, Calif. (Cerritos College)

Currently a sophomore at Cerritos College in Norwalk, Calif. … as a freshman went 3-6 with a 4.34 ERA while tossing three complete games in 12 starts … pitched 87.0 innings with 79 strikeouts and just 21 walks allowed … 2008 graduate of Mayfair High School … named first-team all-league as a senior after helping lead Mayfair to the league title … also earned second-team all-conference honors … chose ORU over Virginia Tech, USC, San Diego and others … says Walton: “Nick is another power arm, with a fastball between 88-92 miles per hour. Once he develops his secondary stuff he could be a rotation guy for us. He’s pretty projectable and has a lot of potential. But what I like is that he’s a competitor and he throws strikes.”

Jose Trevino * 5-9 * 185 * C/3B * Corpus Christi, Texas (John Paul II HS)

Helped lead the Centurions to the 2010 TAPPS 4A state championship as a junior by hitting .428 with 19 doubles, 10 home runs, 58 RBI and 52 runs scored in 43 games … also went 6-1 on the mound with a 2.20 ERA … teammate at John Paul of current ORU freshman Joey Perez … named first-team all-state and all-district … batted .436 with 13 home runs as a sophomore … coached by Steve Castillo, father of former ORU All-America catcher David Castillo … says Walton: “Jose is going to have an opportunity to come in right away and help us behind the plate and at third base. We think he’ll hit right away; he’s a Division I hitter. He could bat anywhere between fifth and seventh and he will have the chance to play every day. I think he’ll eventually get drafted as a catcher. He plays for a high school coach who has turned out a lot of college talent over the years. Jose is an impact player.”

Andrew Walter * 6-4 *215 * RHP * Peoria, Ariz. (Yavapai College)

Currently a sophomore at Yavapai (Ariz.) College … recently named by Perfect Game USA as the 64th-best Major League Baseball draft prospect among junior college players … played last season at the University of San Diego … appeared in five games for the Toreros (all in relief), tossing 6.0 innings … did not record any decisions, allowing two earned runs in six innings … helped USD reach NCAA post-season play at the Tempe Regional … 2009 graduate of Cactus High School … helped lead the Cobras to a state runner-up finish … was 12-1 with a 1.25 ERA and 112 strikeouts as a senior en route to West Valley Region player of the year honors … also named first-team all-state … drafted in the 31st round by Detroit in 2009 … recruited by Arizona State, Oregon and Oregon State out of high school and by Texas A&M this fall … says Walton: “Andrew is the classic power pitcher. He’ll come in with the opportunity to pitch at the top of our weekend starting rotation. He throws his fastball 90-93 miles per hour and he has the makings of a good breaking ball. He gained some nice experience at San Diego as a freshman and he’ll be ready to go when he gets here next fall.”

Phillip Wilson * 6-0 * 180 * RHP * Owasso, Okla. (Owasso HS)

Currently a senior at Oklahoma prep power Owasso High School … was 8-1 as a junior with a 2.43 ERA and 48 strikeouts in 45.1 innings … also batted .398 with six home runs and 38 RBI as the Rams finished as state runner up … named all-conference as both a pitcher and outfielder in 2010 … also a Tulsa World second-team all-metro selection … helped lead Owasso to state titles in 2008 and 2009 … says Walton: “Phillip is a strike thrower, plain and simple. He’s a bit undersized for a right-handed pitcher but he makes up for it by being mature and having very good mound presence. He also already has a good breaking ball and he’s just going to get better over time; his best days are ahead of him. It’s always great to sign a good local player, especially one from such an outstanding program. I’m excited to have him.”

• 8 months later...

Saw Phillip Wilson pitch for the host team Strike Zone Cardinals in the Connie Mack World Series(18U) in Farmington, New Mexico last night. He threw 115 pitches in 9 innings with 4 k's, 2 walks, 5 hits, and 2 unearned runs in a win against the South Troy, NY Dodgers. The game was scoreless till the bottom of the 6th when the the host team scored 2 on a home run that looked like a game winner but some 2 out errors let South Troy tie it up at 2 to go to extras. Connie Mack only goes 7 innings. I was really impressed with how he handled the pressure and 6,000+ fans and kept going back out there and competing. Still hitting 88-89 in the 9th with great command. Home team ended up winning 3-2 in the 9th with a walk off single. Looking forward to seeing him in an ORU uniform.

For you Owasso fans... Corey Taylor also got picked up on the same team and he is going for the Cardinals in Wednesday night at 7:30 Mnt Time against either the Arizona Firebirds or Midland Redskins. You can listen to the games on verticalradio.org and keep up with the tourney on facebook or cmws.com. I love this tourney. Got to see Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley pitch here last year. They aren't too shabby haha.

Speaking of our recruit, Jose Trevino, from the fall signing period...Jose ended up the season tying the Texas single season record with 25 home runs and recorded a 9-0 record on the mound (the last two wins were in the semi-final and championship games) while leading his John Paul II team to their second consecutive state championship. I don't believe he got drafted this summer, but hope he is a good student so that we can see him out there in an ORU uniform next spring!

The whole timeline of this thread was freaking me out, since it's from December 2010 and we're talking about guys who won't play a real game until February, 2012.

No wonder so many D-1 baseball recruits are lost to the professional ranks before they reach campus: high school seniors who sign in December of any given year have to wait 15 months - while navigating their entire senior season, summer league, the MLB draft, plus pros scouts encouraging them to sign as free agents - before they finally take the field for their college choice.

Yeah....I agree OT....wake me up when these guys are actually on the field at JLJ...... |-)