Barnburner at the Mabee Center

tmh8286

The women's game may set a new record for lead changes. Game is literally moving so fast that when I started the previous sentance Houston had just taken a one point lead - by the time I finished typing it they were up by seven, 61-68! That is their largest lead of the game, largest lead by either team, I believe. ORU not playing much defense by the sounds of it, and have been plagued by turnovers.

I didn't get to hear the conclusion of the game - can anyone give me a final score? It's not up at ORUGoldenEagles.com yet.

Answered my own question with Google - 93-89, Houston. The game must have literally hinged on that little spurt that Houston made while I was typing my first post, because that was basically the margin of the game.

Too bad for the ladies. This would have been a nice win for them. The game seemed to be played at a blistering pace again, which may be working against us as much as it's helping us at this point.

Answered my own question with Google - 93-89, Houston. The game must have literally hinged on that little spurt that Houston made while I was typing my first post, because that was basically the margin of the game.

Too bad for the ladies. This would have been a nice win for them. The game seemed to be played at a blistering pace again, which may be working against us as much as it's helping us at this point.

Very observant..of course, ORU homers will never admit the guards are out of control.

Jfusa = Debbie Downer Could you post something positive every once in a while?

Even though the girls lost this game, they played pretty well. This team is undersized and Houston is picked to win Conference USA and is undefeated. This game could have gone either way. Their post players were taller than ours and we still totally held our own. We make up for our lack of height and beef with speed and an up-tempo approach. Coach Finkbeiner believes that the faster the pace, the better our chance to win.

The extended zone defense that we play will occasionally cause us to give up easy buckets if the other team can place a pass just over the heads of our defenders. That is our biggest weakness. But this team has played with this same zone approach for at least the last 2 years. I'm not sure what the answer is because if they change to man to man or to a different zone defense then we will lose the frenetic defense that also causes a lot of turnovers that lead to fast break points for our offense. Our offense feeds off our defense. Even though this was a tough loss, the glass is at least half full.

Honestly, when I think about this game it is impressive that ORU was able to continue scoring so consistently against a taller lineup. That bodes well for our chances against SDSU in the conference tourney down the road if we are able to get that far.

Also, in the TU game, the point guards were out of control during the last 3 minutes of the game and that is why we lost. But overall, with the frenetic pace that they play, I would not classify the ORU guards as out of control. I think their judgment was a lot better against Houston.

However they do need to work on in-bounds plays because in both the TU game and the Houston game, they lost the ball on crucial in-bounds plays right at the end of the game. It is tougher to inbound the ball when the other team is taller at several positions (except point guard). Houston's point guard was the shortest player on the court but she could sure hit jump shots.