Can He Hang On?

tmh8286

Caleb continues to lead NCAA D1 players in the categories of Free Throws Attempted, ahead of Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, and Free Throws Made, ahead of Duke's J.J. Redick. Can he hold on to lead these categories till the end of the season?

I feel fairly confident that he will be able to stay ahead of Morrison in free throws attempted. Caleb has shot 256 free throws, Morrison has attempted 240. ORU has two games remaining, as does Gonzaga. I think it is unlikely that Morrison will take 16 more free throws than Caleb in the next two games.

Whether he can stay ahead of Redick in free throws made is another question. Caleb has made 195, while Redick has made 187, so Redick is only eight made free throws behind Caleb. The rub comes in the fact that Duke has three more regular season games. So Redick has one additional game to catch up with Caleb.

I believe that Caleb will finish the regular season in the lead in both categories, but it will be down to the wire with Redick.

That all assumes that the tabulation of these stats ends with the regular season. If post-season play is added in, the others will pull ahead, but I don't think that is the case.

We can be very, very thankful that Caleb is a good free throw shooter! It's placed him in some pretty elite company.