Luper, Bigham pair up to help Golden Eagles fly high

ORUTerry

(excerpt)

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

Published: 11/16/2010 2:21 AM

Last Modified: 11/16/2010 6:36 AM

A year ago, Kevi Luper and Jaci Bigham reigned as the highest scoring backcourt duo in Division I women's basketball.

Luper, who garnered player, defensive player and newcomer of the year honors in the Summit League in 2009-10, averaged 24.4 points per game. Her backcourt mate and roommate Bigham boasted the team's second highest average at 17.1 points per game.

They were both freshmen.

So what can Oral Roberts fans expect this season? ............

Link to full story in Tulsa World

Let's beat TU tonight!....we need some revenge for the men's loss at Reynolds today!.... ;)

Double ouch!...that's a bad loss....and now heading on the road vs. Harvard, Villanova and LaSalle....not gonna be easy....how the heck did we lose to TU tonight?... ;(:(;(

Double ouch!...that's a bad loss....and now heading on the road vs. Harvard, Villanova and LaSalle....not gonna be easy....how the heck did we lose to TU tonight?... ;(:(;(

There were several things, but, according to Jerry Finkbeiner, it was the inability to control the tempo, i.e. slow it down when they needed to. Don't know if you heard the radio interview, EM, but Jerry was critical of his one-guards. He said he expected them to have a knowledge of when to push it and when to slow it down, but tonight they only ran at one speed - wide open.

Instead of milking the clock late, we continued to drive the ball, and had several scoreless possessions that TU was able to take down and convert to points at the other end. As I said elsewhere, their little PG, Maybury, was amazing, and came up big when they needed her to. She singe-handedly wiped out the lead that ORU had at the three minute mark.

Jerry also said that the post players didn't execute the defense he told them to on the last play where TU got a point-blank shot. The post players were supposed to be down by the basket but instead they tried to steal the ball near the inbounds (if I understood him correctly). He also said the coaches had not worked with the team yet on the set where they slow down the tempo to run the clock at the end of the game (again if I understood him correctly). You shouldn't lose an 11 point lead with 3:14 left. Would have been nice if Jaci had made that lay-up and we still got the win but learned the lesson. Instead they learned this lesson the hard way. During the run when we were losing the lead Jerry also could have called a timeout much sooner than he did.

However, the girls battled hard and gave it their all for 40 minutes. They just need to all get on the same page. Certainly all these players have played in many games in high school where they have slowed it down with a lead in order to preserve the win. The basketball IQ on this team has always seemed to be very high which makes the end of the game even more surprising.

Right, Jason - I also remembered after my previous post that he said we didn't execute well in breaking their zone defense. He said they'd worked on it, talked to them about it, looked good on paper, but then we just didn't execute. He said they'd talk to them during time outs about running what they'd talked about, but then when the team went back out they didn't do it.

All in all, a very frustrating loss.

This is still a very talented team with a lot of opportunities in front of them. I hope they can continue to bring it in the road games coming up. They have the talent to win most/maybe all of these games if they keep up the intensity, take care of the ball and play smart.