TU to host ORU for Mayor's Cup on Tuesday morning

ORUTerry

(excerpt)

By ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer

Published: 11/15/2010 1:13 PM

Last Modified: 11/15/2010 1:21 PM

The 47th annual Mayor’s Cup basketball game will have a morning flavor this year.

Tulsa will welcome Oral Roberts for an 11 a.m. contest on Tuesday at the Reynolds Center. The early start is because the game will be broadcast by ESPN during the network’s 24 hours of continuous basketball coverage.

“It’s great to have it on national television,” TU coach Doug Wojcik said on Monday. “I think it’s the first time in series history that it’s been on national TV.”

ORU coach Scott Sutton agreed.

Link to Full Story

Kinda hate that its at 11am...makes me wonder if they did that so there would be less ORU crowd there..idk...I cant go because I have class at that time...

dude, skip class... i did that for Summit Tourney every year.... one class is not a big deal, most professors understand!

Gee....Humanties class or ORU/TU basketball?....tough choice..... :P ....but it wouldn't have been for TheEagleman..... :D

Blurb about the game from ESPN:

Noon ET: Oral Roberts at Tulsa (ESPN/ESPN3) -- The intracity matchup features two squads searching for some varied level of mid-major legitimacy. Oral Roberts is a threat to win the Summit League (despite the scariness of returning league player of the year Keith Benson at Oakland). Tulsa is fighting to take that next step -- into an NCAA tournament -- under sixth-year coach Doug Wojcik. Tulsa has won 23 or more games the past three seasons, but too many of those wins have come in ever-mediocre Conference USA and too few have come against solid nonconference opponents. In 2009-10, a team led by two returning conference honorees was supposed to be the leap team. (Tulsa's marketing department even placed signs around the city proclaiming 2009-10 to be "The Year We Have Been Waiting For.") Not so much. Now Wojcik, a once-rising coach in his own right, will be fighting -- with a young, inexperienced team, to boot -- to keep Tulsa fans from wondering whether the program has already plateaued.

Found this on the ORU Athletics Facebook fan page. Apparently this screen shot is from the promo commercial for ESPN's 24 hours of basketball.