Recruiting

ORUTerry

Has anyone heard anything else about who we might be recruiting? We lose six seniors (only five of which are on scholarship). We have signed:

Jeremy Hazzel (6'4" wing player - Patterson prep school)

Shawn King (6'11" post player - Carl Albert JC); he is averaging 20.9 ppg thru 26 games and 12.8 rpg

Marquis Gaines (6'2" guard - Muskogee HS)

That leaves two scholarships to fill. I have heard we are after a kid named Justin Robinson, a 6'3" combo guard from Edmond Memorial HS, but he is getting a lot of attention from other schools. I suspect we are working to get another post player too.

We lose:

Bluitt - replaced by Adam Liberty who is 6'2" and a defensive stopper; he is supposed to be a great passer but not a great offensive threat. Was a 2-year starter at Wichita State.

Michalec - replaced by Shawn King - or a committee of Yemi Ogunoye/Marchello Vealy/Sylvester Spicer

Owens - replaced(?) by Sylvester Spicer or Jeremy Hazzel. Sutton has said that Hazzel is talented enough to start as a freshman.

Fowlkes - replaced by Marquis Gaines; though I expect the coaches might be tempted to red-shirt Gaines.

Riouse - replaced by Moses Ehambe

Meloy - replaced by Sylvester Spicer

We have a lot of holes to fill, but seem to be headed in the right direction from a talent replacement stand-point. It remains to be seen how good the new players will be. Except for Liberty (and some would argue Hazzel given the type of players on his prep school), none of them have played D-1 basketball, so it remains to be seen how they will fare.

I really hope Sean King has good weight. We need someone to take the pressure off of Green down low. I think Ogunoye,Vealy, and Spicer are all good but too skinny. I think it?s important to have someone with size/muscle.

From his JUCO roster pic, he looks like he's built closer to somewhere between a Kevin Garnett - Jermaine O'Neal athletic type rather than anything close to a brick wall like Michelac or Bookout. I was going to use another NBA body but the only one I could think of was O'Neal and he's in a league of his own.

I expect (or hope) King will do for us what Kone is doing for Valpo - solid defense, rebounding, and able to chip in with scoring as well next season. Hopefully he'll be even better his senior year.

Sorry I forgot about Darren Jordan.... as was said - he should provide backup minutes for Adam Liberty.

I think Shawn King is built more along the lines of Schuyler Thomas or maybe even Kendrick Moore - not Mickey. It would be nice to find a big guy who can really bang down low - but those are hard to find.... at least athletic types.

Still looking for another big and maybe a swing guy in the Owens mold. The 3 recruits are all having very good years and should all play next year. See you guys next weekend!