Student fans

Hoopsdude18

My question would be, how are other private schools similar to ORU's size doing it?

Not as well and not with the same overall success.

In sports metaphor, sometimes you have to know which pond to fish in and wait for the right pitch to hit. :?:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• theeagleman5

• ORUalum11

• Hoopsdude18

• ORU Eli

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In sports metaphor, sometimes you have to know which pond to fish in and wait for the right pitch to hit. :?:

So, are you fishing on a baseball field, or are you playing baseball underwater?

I was at a get-together last night where several of the couples had current students at ORU, and a few more had students that will be freshmen this next year. Conversation eventually turned to the fact that, based on the stories we hear from our kids, the AVERAGE bed time for them is 3-4 AM!! We were saying that back when we were students it was typically around midnight when we hit the sack, a little later on the weekends. But keep in mind - computers were still a decade away, cable television was in it's infancy, and probably not even available to the dorms, no video games, no Facebook. You had to look OUTSIDE the dorms for entertainment.

Think about how it is now for students. They've all got cell phones, which have become basically hand-held entertainment centers; many students have big screen TV's in their rooms with a choice of 200 channels or so, and they subscribe to Netflix, which keeps a steady stream of movies coming to their mailbox, or computer; computers - source of video games, email (do any kids actually do that any more?), Facebook, YouTube (you'd be amazed at all the videos being made by ORU students and being put up on YouTube), etc.; Xbox, and on and on. These kids are so saturated with entertainment that they can barely get themselves to go to sleep (or, unfortunately, find time to study).

So, athletics just doesn't have that special place as a unique source of entertainment for students that it once did. Add to that the things you mentioned Eagleman, and it's easy to recognize that the athletic department has an uphill climb to increase student attendance. I think they can do it, they've just got to keep after it.

There's no doubt about it, the days that you (and many others on the board) were at ORU were the glory days in terms of student participation and attendance. But give credit where credit is due - they still turn out in high numbers for the big games.

Dead on. This fall will make 10 years since I was a freshman and at the time Facebook and YouTube didn't exist. Texting hadn't quite become a craze yet. But I remember many times attending basketball games where student turnout was poor and returning to the dorms to find people on my wing eating Papa Johns, glued to their video games. And for myself and over half the wing, 3-4am was a typical bedtime, yes. I noticed in my time there that many students would have a closet full of burnt orange or Sooner crimson, but when it came to ORU gear, not one piece of clothing that they actually went out and bought. I think that's improved as the choices have improved but I'd guess you still have a lot of students who go to ORU but you ask them their favorite college sports team and they'll throw out a BCS school.

TheEagleman's answer to that last statement....EXPEL THEM!..... :puke:

TheEagleman's answer to that last statement....EXPEL THEM!..... :puke:

...which is why you're not the Director of Student Retention! :D

Maybe TheEagleman should be on staff at ORU....there must be something I could do?.... :wasntme:

Get the student leaders out to the games and the others will follow.

Also, highly agree with OT's earlier post. It's worth it to drive from out of town to a game. Best entertainment value anywhere. We have the Dallas Mavs and that's fun but expensive and fans are nonchalant until the end of the game ... if it's close. The fans get pumped up by the announcer but it's nothing viral. I'll take an ORU game any day ... and I love the Mavericks.

Good points there....any chance you can get Mark Cuban to donate a few million to ORU????...TheEagleman would have no problem if we changed the name of Mabee Center to Cuban Arena..... :P

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like we won't have to worry about kicking around the lack of student attendence this upcoming season.........not many attractive home games.....TheEagleman won't blame the kids for not coming out.... :P

• 2 months later...

Coach Sutton and Coach Fink are speaking at an all-men's hall meeting tonight.

I met with the coaches and they both thought it would be a good idea. It's the little things we do that might help the students embrace their Golden Eagles; resulting in higher game attendance and school spirit.

Both coaches will speak for about 15 minutes on this upcoming season and why students should come out and support. We'll see how effective it is - I don't think it can hurt.

TheEagleman loves to hear stuff like that...keep us posted on how it goes.... :up:

Wow, that is an absolutely amazing idea. Really like the idea of putting the "face" of the team in front of the faces of student fans.

Coach Sutton and Coach Fink are speaking at an all-men's hall meeting tonight.

I met with the coaches and they both thought it would be a good idea. It's the little things we do that might help the students embrace their Golden Eagles; resulting in higher game attendance and school spirit.

Both coaches will speak for about 15 minutes on this upcoming season and why students should come out and support. We'll see how effective it is - I don't think it can hurt.

Any feedback on how this went?

Coach Sutton and Coach Fink spoke for a combined 15 minutes. Coach Sutton really stressed the important of supporting ORU Athletics in general and the importance of coming to men's/women's home games. He talked about how the school has a very colorful history in athletics and believe it or not, success in athletics does increase the value of our degree.

Coach Fink went the other direction and focused more on the women's squad for the year. Basically the same things he shared at the Courtside Countdown - more specifically Kevi Kuper being a preseason all-american (there were some whistles from the crowd) and how the team's goal is to go out and score 100 points every night - run, gun, & have fun!

Overall, after asking around, I think the coaches were received well and the meeting was a success. It's just one more step in our student body being able to find their "mojo" again.

Building a tradition of success is extremely important as well. Mike Carter and the coaching staff have put the time and energy to do that. I think we'll see things get progressively better as far as student attendance to all sporting events.

great move by the coaches to visit hall meeting. Shows that they care about the students. in return, i think they will reciprocate that love. One thing Oral Roberts seemed to do well is be accessible to the students. Now Dr. Rutland has the same appeal. If Sutton can do that, they will grow to love him and support the basketball program.

Coach Fink went the other direction and focused more on the women's squad for the year. Basically the same things he shared at the Courtside Countdown - more specifically Kevi Kuper being a preseason all-american (there were some whistles from the crowd)quote]

I have it on good authority that Kevi is a stone cold fox.