Golloway's past with ORU paves OU's path to Omaha

Bogus Smith

This is a good article on the reason that ORU is a great place for coaches to learn the ropes and why Mike Carter is a great AD:

by: JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

To Sunny Golloway, it started as just another late-inning pitching change in just another early May baseball game against Kansas. But then he heard a familiar voice shouting down to him over the rail.

"Hey Two-Nine," the voice shouted, "you're pushing all the right buttons."

Golloway looked up and saw his old friend, Bill Self. A few minutes later, Golloway and Self were reliving the two colorful years they shared at Oral Roberts.

Nice article. Positive about ORU, Sunny admits being impatient in his early years. I guess we can't ask for much more than that.

TheEagleman agrees....a very nice article...I can't even make a derogatory comment.....is daughter Taylor, the OU cheerleader the one who appeared in Playboy?... :wasntme:

Don't think so - I think it was his older daughter, Sunni Kate. Here's a pic from when life was a bit simpler for ol' Sunny:

galloways.gif

Wow...where to start?? |(

I would love to know if Mike Carter really "won't take a phone call" from Sunny, or if Sunny is just referring back to several years ago when NO ONE in the athletic department wanted to take another one of his whiney, late-night calls following the OU-ORU game when he unjustifiably felt mistreated by Golden Eagles fans sitting above the third base dugout.

I do know that the majority of his inbound phone calls in his last couple of seasons at ORU fell into three main categories:

1. Making excuses about his post-season failings.

2. Making excuses about some players' behavior.

3. Complaining about the facilities, the budget, the rules, and just about everything else he felt was "holding him back" at ORU (while he meanwhile was getting turned down for every D-1 baseball job that he applied for).

I can't believe he would have the gall to now take the "ORU-holds-a-grudge-but-I'm-willing-to-forgive-and-forget" stance, when he is by all indications the one who can't get over the past and keeps bringing it up.

Did it ever to occur to Sunny that MAYBE if anyone isn't literally or figuratively "taking his phone calls", it might not be because they're bitter, but simply because they don't want to waste their time on a back-stabbing, hypocritical, narcissistic phony??

It's funny how the only person you can find who says anyone at ORU is bitter about Sunny leaving is Sunny himself - it kills him that NO ONE at ORU was actually that sorry to see him leave, so he keeps feeling compelled to rewrite history in his favor. Truly pathetic.

Finally, did Sunny really refer to himself in the third person in that first quote?

Who does he think he is - The Jimmy??

+1 for OT.....we have to start calling the OU coach...The Sonny.....Sonny doesn't want to play ORU.....Sonny wasn't treated well at ORU.....Sonny is so happy to be at the CWS.....etc....etc.... |(

Pretty good article by Tulsa World. OT after reading your post, are you a little bitter? :-)

OU beats So. Carolina last night 4-3 in a game with six hrs of rain delays.....Sonny's boys still in the winners bracket!... |(

Bitter that he left? Hardly.

Bitter that we are constantly bombarded with his version of history? Absolutely.

OU beats So. Carolina last night 4-3 in a game with six hrs of rain delays.....Sonny's boys still in the winners bracket!... |(

Not for long.