Big 12 Falling Apart

Cletus

By the way, Gary Barnett was on a local radio station lastnight saying that Texas A&M is evidently looking at joining the SEC and not the Pac10...

When it comes to dead weight...how could one not think of South Dakota State!!!?

Yes, aTm to the SEC is the big rumor but SEC appraently wants aTm to have a "buddy".

I won't ruin this thread defending my bunnies. I'll just say that the Dakota schools have been anything but dead weight in our short time in the Summit.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SDSUJacks

• Old Titan

• ORUTerry

• vcboy2000

I find it chilling that this entire process is being driven by POTENTIAL revenue from POTENTIAL TV dollars.

It remains to be seen whether or not the money is actually there, from POTENTIAL ad dollars and POTENTIAL contracts from cable networks.

Meanwhile, the REALITY is increased travel costs for the far-flung schools, more time on the road for the student-athletes, and fewer fans able to afford the time or money to travel to many road contests in most sports.

And all this coming at a time when our economy is shrinking, fan viewership is fragmented across ever-emerging media, and travel expenses are skyrocketing out of control.

Bold Prediction: in twenty years, when expenses and fan outcry have resulted in these super conferences fragmenting back into smaller, regional leagues, this period of irresponsible growth will be remembered as a gross example of blind greed run amok.

Great points. The local radio guy was complaining that he wanted Nebraska to go to the Pac10 (Sioux Falls is the 3rd largest home to Nebraska ticket holders I believe). I asked him why he would want to be in a conference where he could never drive to a game and the away games are all 2 hour time difference. These superconferences are going to span half the nation and be 16 teams. That doesn't bode well at all for building rivalries, something I at least really value in a conference. This is all about butts and eyeballs....butts in seats and eyeballs on TV set. Period.

Not sure who said it (too lazy to look it up) but this whole thing could very, very, very easily affect the Summit. Big Sky President already regrets not adding SDSU and NDSU and is looking at UND. Maybe they lose a team or two and come calling to the "Dakota 4"? Maybe MoValley gets raided and comes calling to ORU? Same w/ Horizon and them asking Oakland? Maybe SUU gets their wish and goes to Big Sky to replace someone (Montana)? Maybe someone like Indiana State or SE Missouri is left out in the cold and applies to Summit? One thing is for sure and that's nothing is for sure right now. Anything can happen. This next week or two is gonna mean alot.

ESPN is reporting that Kansas and Missouri are talking to the Mountain West about joining that conference. Baylor is being shot out by TCU..... seems the Horned Frogs carry a grudge from being excluded from the Big 12. Gotta love payback!

Link

baylor sure has had a rough go this last week. not sure they ever deserved to be in the big 12 to begin w/. also heard they were excluded from the pac-16 because several schools had a problem w/their religious affiliation (namely cal).

Hummmm.....if Cal has problems with Baylor's religious affiliation, I guess ORU won't be getting invited to the Pac-10 any time soon.....maybe it's we who should have problems with Cal-Berkley's extreme liberalism?.... ;)

Jacks, we don't laugh at you for talking college football. We live in Oklahoma for crying out loud. We laugh at how big of a deal you think FCS is on a national scale. College football is NOT king. Division 1 College Football is the king. Followed by D-1 College Basketball and then everything else. What I will give you though is the fact that a large state school with a FCS program is better positioned to make the jump to D-1 Football than schools with no program at all. So while FCS football may not make you relevant in current conference expansions, it could in the very near future if you guys make the jump.

Well said. :up:

Not sure the Denver TV market is as big of a draw as people think...at least in terms of college athletics. For some reason, college athletics in the Front Range just doesn't get the attention, support, etc that it deserves...and this is partly the reason why CU has fallen so far...Denver only cares about a few things...The Broncos (even when the suck), Nuggets and Avalanche...or the NHL playoffs in general.

Perhaps it's the allure of the outdoors that keeps people from watching college football, basketball or other sports here...not sure. I'm making a parallel here between TV and watching in person...other than men's ice hockey at DU, tickets are easy to come by and cheap...and there are plenty of empty seats to be had...

For as long as I can remember, college athletics has never been the big draw or what get's people excited around here...it wasn't until I came to ORU that I noticed how popular college athletics is...no thanks to the Sooners...which thankfully sucked while I was at ORU...

In no way was Baylor deserving of being invited to the Big XII (thanks Ann Richards) and in no way was "religion" preventing them from getting an invite from PAC-11. PAC-11 wouldn't have touched them w/ a 10 foot crucifix. Baylor benefitted the most from Texas deciding they would keep control of the Big XII. Them and Iowa State were SCREWED had UT bolted to PAC-11. And on top of all of that, the PAC-11 now adds CU? Wow, home run!!! (Sarcasm) Their fball program is set for the PAC-11 cellar, Denver ppl care more about their Subaru's and hoops and everything else save Cross Country is a joke. Geez PAC-11, at least grab Utah and save face. CU adds NOTHING. Oh ya, you added Denver....who cares when the Broncos are playing. Yay.

it was chip brown that reported the baptist ties being a prob for baylor and he was the guy that broke everything on the story on orangebloods.com so it seems pretty reliable. (http://twitter.com/ChipBrownOB/status/15791099766).

regardless the biggest winner has to be texas.

-no championship game in football

-the pac 10 or sec still don't have a school in the state (recruiting)

-tv money still distributed on a weighted basis benefiting the bigger schools

-the ability to create their own tv network

-maintain rivalries w/ a&m and ou

-got rid of nebraska thus eliminating one school that could compete w/texas in football

all the way around the "Bevo 10" is a great thing for the longhorns.

I heard an interesting hypothesis that the actual 'catalyst' for Texas remaining in the Big 12 (sic) is that they could not 'allow' Texas A&M to bolt to the SEC. According to this line of thinking, the Longhorns do not want the SEC schools to gain a (larger) foothold in Texas high school recruiting. With TAMU in the SEC, the door would be open to Alabama, Arkansas, LSU, Florida, etc.

Interesting thoughts on the machinations that took place before Texas (and the other schools) decided to stay in place: Link to Tulsa World blog

The source for this information is Orangeblood.com - the Texas Rivals.com site that has been uncannily accurate in its reporting on this whole issue. (Unlike ESPN which was abysmal in its reporting.)

good read...interesting that boone pickens ties to texas (i think he made a sizable contribution to the texas system awhile back) may have saved the big 12 when the pac 10 wanted to swap OSU for KU.

chip brown and orangebloods.com absolutely dominated ESPN on this story.

All TheEagleman has to say about this is....Let's go Penn State!!!.... :D

chip brown and orangebloods.com absolutely dominated ESPN on this story.

...because Texas spoon-fed them everything the Longhorns wanted out there - some of which was pure bluff, to steer the negotiations their way.

There's a reason the most popular card game these days is called Texas Hold-em - the Pac-10, the SEC, ESPN, and just about everyone else got beat in a good ol' hand of high-stakes poker, by folks who are masters of the game.

It still does not explain how/why ESPN got things so incredibly wrong. ESPN has never been a good reporting source.

It still does not explain how/why ESPN got things so incredibly wrong. ESPN has never been a good reporting source.

Because of their "24/7/365" format - and their ego - ESPN is more interested in being first with the headline, rather than being right with the headline.