The Play

tmh8286

No matter what I'm listening to on the radio today - music, talk, sports - the blown call at first base that cost Armando Galarraga a perfect game last night:

Video of the play at first via ABCNews:

Ump missed it by THAT much . . .

I'll weigh in with my opinon on whether Galaraga should get the perfect game: in this day and time, when replay is used to determine all sorts of close calls in sports, and when there is irrefuatable video evidence that the play WASN'T EVEN CLOSE!!!, I think the perfect game should be awarded. Otherwise, this will be the game THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY.

TheEagleman has been a Little League, Babe Ruth and Sr. Babe Ruth Umpire for 25 yrs.....certainly nowhere near the level of a Jim Joyce but the job is still the same at most any level....I saw the play and it was a bad blown call...not sure what Joyce saw there but he clearly got it wrong....bang-bang calls at first base can be the toughest calls that an ump has to make....that play wasn't even THAT close....but still, the call has to stand....that's baseball....no rule was broken so it cannot be protested...it was a judgment call so it stands...right or wrong....I admire Jim Joyce for standing tall and admitting his mistake....most major league umps are too pompous....and kudos to Gallaraga for accepting what happened with grace and offering his forgiveness to the ump....Joyce clearly was overwhelmed by his error and he was in tears at home plate today when Manager Jim Leyland had Gallaraga bring out the line up prior to the game....the Detroit fans did not revile the umpire but instead more cheers than the smattering of boos were heard and this was a great example of sportsmanship at Tiger Stadium....yes, the kid lost a spot in the record books with what would have been perfect game #21....but Gallaraga will instead be long remembered for his wonderful sportsmanship and willingness to forgive a man who cost him a place a history....and Jim Joyce will hopefully be remembered as an really good umpire who had the courage to admit a glaring mistake and take his lumps like a man....TheEagleman applauds Gallaraga, Joyce and the Detroit Tiger organization....they handled it right last night and today.....the call has to stand....but this incident will go down as a positive moment for baseball and not a black mark like all that steroid crap....does baseball need more instant replay?....maybe.....not on every play but they could give each manager one or two challanges per game like in football.....not a bad idea..... ;)

Eagleman, that was one of your best posts EVER!! Couldn't have been said better. I recognize the reasons why the call probably needs to stand, but also see that there is irrefutable proof that Galarraga did indeed achieve one of baseball's most revered accomplishments. I'm sure, after managing that, he was disappointed, but he handled it about as well as anyone could.

Thanks, TMH...after watching the play several times...don't you have to wonder why the heck the first baseman Cabrerra goes half way to 2nd base to field the ball and make a difficult throw back to the pitcher when if he had just stayed put it would have been a routine play for the 2nd baseman and a simple toss to first for the final out of the game....the runner Jason Donald would probably have been out even more easily and unlikely Joyce blows it if the runner is out by 2+ steps....just thinking out loud here....anybody else have a thought?.... :!:

Another comment from Eagleman the Umpire.....the HP and 2nd base umpires had to have a really good view on that call....I know that Major League umps rarely ask for help but just wondering if they could have discussed it because of the perfect game scenerio....I know that Jim Joyce said afterward that he was positive that he had the right call on the field but at least two of his partners had to have seen that the runner was out....protocal at every level of umpiring is that the ump making the call has to ask for the help...the other umps can't volunteer....but I think if I am Joyce on that play....I'm at least talking to my crew because I am affecting an historical event....i know it might have made Joyce look weak but the key is to get each call correct.....if I make an important call and it's close and one team is arguing vehimently....I usually call time and go talk with my partner to ask for his perspective....if he feels that I clearly missed it...I would not be too embarrassed to reverse my call...it's happened....veryrarely... but I feel it's always important to get the call right than to deal with a little embarrassment and fan abuse.... :!:

Thanks, TMH...after watching the play several times...don't you have to wonder why the heck the first baseman Cabrerra goes half way to 2nd base to field the ball and make a difficult throw back to the pitcher when if he had just stayed put it would have been a routine play for the 2nd baseman and a simple toss to first for the final out of the game....the runner Jason Donald would probably have been out even more easily and unlikely Joyce blows it if the runner is out by 2+ steps....just thinking out loud here....anybody else have a thought?.... :!:

I noticed that, too - the second baseman was right there, a step behind him when he fielded the grounder, and had to make the difficult throw to first. At that point don't you imagine that adrenaline was running high in the veins of everyone on the field, and that motivated Cabrerra to go out of his way to make the play, when it would have otherwise been a routine 4-3 out?

His reasoning for not asking for help: he said he had a perfect view of the play and that the call was clear. Major league umps in similar positions rarely ask for help. Part of the ego thing.