Last Season vs. This Season

tmh8286

Hey Guys....

I read the string and couldn't help but chime in....

The biggest thing that jumps out at me is that with the exceptioin of Bowen and Burleson, we do not have starting pitching with experience.

I remember Jerry starting as a Freshman, along with Chance Champman, Jeremy Hefner, Chris Ashman, Erik Crichton, Carlos Luna and Michael Jarmin.

Many of those pitchers grew that season and into the next year or two. That experience, especially against tough competition really toughened our metal.

Many of you can remember the great defensive play from players like Jake Kahaulelio, Kelly Minnisale, Adam Younger, Brendon Duffy and Chad Rothford.

Having the newbies grow with the experienced players was huge!

Last year we always seemed to have the right clutch hitters up at bat during key moments of the game. This is important...... because many teams employ a strategy of pitching to the weakest part of the order so that the big bats do not come to the plate with runners in scoring position. Last year our hitters were well coached and frequently worked the counts to their advantage. This strategy also increased the opposing pitchers pitch count, forcing him out of the game earlier.

This happened to Jerry last summer while playing for Eugene. He struck out 10 batters in the first four innings of a game....sounds great right? Wrong.... they took him out of the game in the 5th inning due to a high pitch count. The opposing teams manager was quoted after the game as saying, " well.... that was our strategy to begin with. We knew this kid was pitching lights out, so we effectively worked the count with each at bat... he got the K's, but we got to their bullpen and won the game." That was the strategy.

The new "pitching philosophy" is to pitch to contact with 3 pitches or less, establish fastball command and pitch inside more. This effectively keeps the pitch count down and keeps the pitcher into the game longer. It also allows the teams defense to remain in the game, honing their defensive skill sets.

We hit a lot of home runs this year... but even Earl Weaver couldn't count on the 3 run homer every game.

Well... I've rambled on enough... just my thoughts!

Irish

I remember Jerry starting as a Freshman, along with Chance Champman, Jeremy Hefner, Chris Ashman, Erik Crichton, Carlos Luna and Michael Jarmin.

Irish

Great post, Irish - thanks!! Those names read like an all-star list of ORU's top pitchers of the past few years. Add Kelly Minnisale to the mix, who trotted in from the outfield (figuratively) and threw some great games, and you're talking about some great memories.

I was out in Oregon last weekend and took in a little Pac 10 action - watched Oregon State beat up on Washington a little!