ORU at SDSU - Friday

Old Titan

... and celebrated like it was the World Series.

I suppose we should take this as a sign of respect. If we come back and win the final three games of the series, the celebration will be long forgotten - by both sides!

I suppose we should take this as a sign of respect. If we come back and win the final three games of the series, the celebration will be long forgotten - by both sides!

Now see, that's what I like about our board - cooler heads always prevail. :clap::clap::clap:

Well, at least most of the time . . . :?:

You know what TheEagleman found to be the most interesting item in the box score of this game?.....attendence 83.....LOL...... :rofl::P:rofl::P

You know what TheEagleman found to be the most interesting item in the box score of this game?.....attendence 83.....LOL...... :rofl::P:rofl::P

At one point Geoff counted 12 in the stands . . .

At one point Geoff counted 12 in the stands . . .

They must have been counting the season ticket holders and the cows in the field adjacent to the baseball diamond.

Ah, so the 83 is actually an exaggerated number?....that's even better..... :P:rofl::P:rofl: ....I'm sure with improving weather tomorrow maybe a few dozen will show up..... |(

Ah, so the 83 is actually an exaggerated number?....that's even better..... :P:rofl::P:rofl: ....I'm sure with improving weather tomorrow maybe a few dozen will show up..... |(

Truth is, I'd question the judgment of people sitting out in the conditions of that game today, Eagleman. Rain, wind and no shelter from either would cause people stay away in droves, if they had a lick of sense.

Not only that, but people come and go during baseball games, as you know. I'm just saying that at one point early in the game Geoff said there were ten or twelve people in the stands.

ORU fans aren't really making fun of how attendance is counted are they? :!::lol: See you tomorrow.

SDSU is to be commended for their comeback win - they have a nice ballclub, with some good hitters and a lockdown closer on the mound. Coach Walton has mentioned before that he has a lot of respect for their program, and it looks like (with wins this year over Minnesota, Air Force, and Arkansas) that the Jackrabbits are doing things the right way on the field.

Still, this is the sort of team that we've seen before in conference play (from the likes of Southern Utah and Valparaiso) that we would typically dominate with superior pitching and defense.

Sadly, such is not the case with this year's ORU team. Come to think of it, when was the last dominant pitching performance we saw from an ORU starter? It's been awhile!

It appears the Golden Eagles bats are waking up the last couple of weeks, and the defense has gotten better. But a 7-run inning for the opponent? Giving up 3 runs in the final two innings to lose a game, similar to last week at IPFW? It's just not the kind of baseball we've grown used to seeing the last decade from Rob's teams.

Here's hoping things get better for our boys on Saturday and Sunday, but if not, no big deal: we still get to host all these guys in a few weeks down here in Tulsa, where I still like our chances in the tournament. But it sure would be nice to see someone step up this weekend in the pitching department, wouldn't it?

Yes....all good points, OT....this ORU team isn't going to dominate the Summit as in year's past and SDSU has a good team....TheEagleman wouldn't be shocked to see us lose 3 of 4 this series....frankly, after yesterday's come from ahead loss, I would gladly take a split and head back to Tulsa.....the Jacks will certainly be "jacked up" today..... :worried:

Sadly, such is not the case with this year's ORU team. Come to think of it, when was the last dominant pitching performance we saw from an ORU starter? It's been awhile!

In answer to that question, I think there have only been a couple or three performances you could say came close to dominating - Seth Fermanek in the first game of the home series with WSU - gave up six hits and one run in the win. The next night Jeff Burleson gave up five hits and one run for the win. Both guys pitched complete games.

Bryce Smollen pitched a five hit shutout in the first game against Oakland.

Even though there have been some good outings for these guys, there has been a complete lack of consistency. I'm going off memory here, but I think after the Wichita State game, the next time Seth pitched he lasted an inning, for example.

Another thing missing is a dominating closer. In the past we have had some absolutely shut-down finishers - if we could get the lead and make it to the eighth inning, we were virtually assured of the win because no one could touch them. The last couple years we had the "Bulldog", as Hax liked to call him, T.J Kelly. He could also struggle with consistency from time to time, but when he was on he'd come in and blow fast balls past every batter and make the final two innings look easy. We just don't have that dominating closer this year.

But SDSU does. Did you see the numbers on their guy, Trever Vermeulen? He leads the nation, not just the Summit League, in several categories. I copied this from a post on their board from a couple days ago:

ERA

#1 Trevor Vermeulen 0.82

Runs Allowed

#2 Trevor Vermeulen 8

Earned Runs Allowed

#1 Trevor Vermeulen 4

Home Runs Allowed

#1 Trevor Vermeulen 0

Only thing different now is his ERA - after yesterday it's down to 0.79. Those are pretty gaudy numbers for a guy that has pitched 45.1 innings in 25 appearances. Only two starters for SDSU have pitched more innings.

That's a nice guy to have around . . . :geek:

I think Trevor has been recognized in prior comments by Rob and national publications for being a very good pitcher. I think he has earned everything that he's being recognized for to date.

As for our "domination" this season. We don't have those guys that we can call on yet. TMH has noted several instances, so we know that our guys can come through. On the offensive side, Baligod, Furmanek and Salidino have started to wake up and show their stuff. We may not see these guys next season in an ORU uniform due to the draft and/or graduation. Regardless of domination in the regular season, though, we only have to "dominate" three games in May, three games the first week of June, two games the second week of June and the rest will take care of itself. There is still plenty of time to get all of the cylinders working together to make this a special season. In the end though, no matter what, the sun will rise in the East and the Son will rise again (e.g., baseball isn't everything). :?:

What's happened to Jameson Dunn?...he got torched yesterday and didn't he start the 34-10 opening game last weekend at IPFW?.....used to be ORU always had great pitching in the opening game of a series with our ace....the past two weekends we've given up 22 runs in the opener....ouch!.... :sweat:

I think Trevor has been recognized in prior comments by Rob and national publications for being a very good pitcher. I think he has earned everything that he's being recognized for to date.

As for our "domination" this season. We don't have those guys that we can call on yet. TMH has noted several instances, so we know that our guys can come through. On the offensive side, Baligod, Furmanek and Salidino have started to wake up and show their stuff. We may not see these guys next season in an ORU uniform due to the draft and/or graduation. Regardless of domination in the regular season, though, we only have to "dominate" three games in May, three games the first week of June, two games the second week of June and the rest will take care of itself. There is still plenty of time to get all of the cylinders working together to make this a special season. In the end though, no matter what, the sun will rise in the East and the Son will rise again (e.g., baseball isn't everything). :?:

You know, the way I worded my post it may have sounded like I was comparing our guys to Trevor Vermeulen, and I really wasn't meaning to do that at all. I just wanted to give credit to an outstanding SDSU player. No disrespect intended for our guys, just in case what I said may have been interpreted that way! ;)

I understood what you meant, TMH....and I agree that Vermeulen is a very good pitcher. The domination comment was really an offshoot of what both OT and you said and acknowledging the fact. Every team in the Summit has always has that one pitcher that, if we didn't have a decent game, they could sneak in a win against us. Such is not the case this year as we have had difficulty getting a consistent rotation and effective pitching from the bullpen out of our team this season.

In the past, every game had the potential to be a double digit win margin against the Summit competition. This year has been different, but doesn't mean that we can't get on a run by pitching to the right spots, seeing pitches at the plate as big as basketballs and having opponents hit balls directly at our fielders.

How the heck does a state-supported, supposedly D-1 baseball program, in an area known for bad weather, not even have a stinking press box?

For starters, our athletic programs aren't state supported. That was one of the stipulations of moving from Division 2 to Division 1. All state support ceased at minute one of Division 1. So all of our facility upgrades have to come from private donations, in this case earmarked for the baseball program. Final FYI, there are no season ticket holders for the baseball program ;)