ORU Women Sign Texas All-Stater

ORUalum

http://www.ktul.com/news/stories/0410/730128.html

Tulsa - An Arlington, Texas guard has signed a National Letter of Intent to play for the Oral Roberts women's basketball team.

Amy Moody, a 5'10" guard from Mansfield Summit High School, averaged 11 points, 4.8 rebounds, 2.9 assists and two steals per game as a senior, helping lead her team to a 26-and-9 record and a trip to the regional finals.

Following the season, Moody was named a Texas Girls Coaches Association all-State selection and earned a spot on the TGCA all-star team.

As a junior, Moody helped lead the Jaguars to the 2009 Texas 5A state championship.

"Amy will bring us more athleticism at the guard spot," said ORU head coach Jerry Finkbeiner. "She plays at arguably the best women's basketball program in Texas, so she has a great high school pedigree and background. She's really a combo guard because she can do a little bit of everything."

Moody was also a star volleyball player in high school, earning MVP honors at Mansfield Summit. She was an academic all-stater in both basketball and volleyball as well.

She joins fellow signees Amber Carver, a 6'5" center from Lufkin, Texas and Christian Key, a 5'10" guard from Victory Christian.

Not a lot of "buzz" on the board over this signing, but Texas 5A All-Staters don't come to ORU (or to the Summit League, for that matter) very often. I would imagine that the prospect of playing with Kevi and Jaci for the next three years was a HUGE recruiting tool, and Coach Fink and the staff took full advantage of the opportunity in landing a prized prospect.

The future is very bright for ORU Women's basketball. I would believe that there is little debate that ORU holds the best returning team in the Summit, the most talented red-shirts becoming eligible for next season, and now the best recruiting class in the conference.

With the talent level and exciting style of play, the Mabee Center will be rocking for the forseeable future.

Congraluations, Coach Fink - you deserve it!

Jerry Finkbeiner is stockpiling good players. He also signed a nice shooting guard from Victory Christian and a 6'5" post player. They are going to fun to watch next year.

Would have to think the "best redshirt" reference relates (at least in part) to Brittany Eskridge, 6'-3" transfer from Oregon State.

Mansfield Summit, where Amy Moody played, is the high school alma mater of Moses Ehambe.

Oh yeah. She's the transfer from Oregon St that wasn't eligible last year due to moving from D1 to another D1. There was also that Cergol (sp?) but I haven't figured out what happened to her - I assume she was a redshirt.

I think Eskridge is gone. Adekunle too.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that women's basketball has a startling roster turnover rate.

How does that not have a devastating effect on APR, for them specifically and for Athletics in general?

Eskridge gone?? She and Kevi were the two players that caught my eye at the scrimmage last year. Was really looking forward to them tandeming this year. Anyone know the story on her leaving?

Eskridge gone?? She and Kevi were the two players that caught my eye at the scrimmage last year. Was really looking forward to them tandeming this year. Anyone know the story on her leaving?

No telling.... wonder if they will sign any more girls for this next season.

I think Eskridge is gone. Adekunle too.

Perhaps someone could ask Fink why they have left so quickly. You can't have too much post presence.

Perhaps someone could ask Fink why they have left so quickly. You can't have too much post presence.

You are certainly welcome to attend the luncheon and ask Coach Finkbeiner the question yourself... :!:

You are certainly welcome to attend the luncheon and ask Coach Finkbeiner the question yourself... :!:

The answer might surprise you . . .

Don't know for sure myself - I'm just sayin' . . .

Fair enough.... :wink: I was looking forward to Eskridge getting a ton of boards. Looks like Amber could get some quality minutes next year. So post players will be Jordan, Dom, and Amber?