Western ILL. at ORU....

theeagleman5

The good guys come from behind with a 5 run rally in the home 8th to win the opener tonight vs. WIU at JLJ by 11-7....a much needed Summit League win....would have been tough to take had they lost to the lowly Leathernecks....ORU needs to come back and take the DH tomorrow....any details from those in attendance on what was probably a beautiful night in Tulsa?........ :)

Was at the game - glad we won but we didn't look all that good. Baligod may a GREAT throw from right field to Pickar at the plate that should have led to an out - the throw beat the runner by a step, and Pickar had the plate covered - it would have been a great play, but Pickar dropped the ball. Just prior to that Sowers the ball on a play at third that would have resulted in the third out of the inning. We just weren't looking real sharp.

Tha said, a win's a win, and the rally in the eighth sure shut up a boisterous contingent of WIU tennis players - I guess they're playing here this weekend. Guess they haven't had all that much to cheer for this season - getting the lead on ORU gave them something. But it didn't last long . . . :geek:

I was only able to listen to the 7th inning and that was enough to leave me shaking my head: down two runs, we load the bases with no outs. Furmanek hits a shallow fly to right which the runner from third tags up on. The throw comes home, the runner from third scores without a slide, yet the runner on second fails to move up on the throw. Next batter grounds out; and instead of scoring from third, that tying run is now only on third base. Next batter, another ground ball out, and a golden opportunity to at least tie the game goes by the wayside. I don't know if it's a coach or player thing, but that runner on second HAS to take third on that sac fly. I know things worked out in the 8th, but it's little plays like that one that we usually excell at that drive me nuts.

Right on, OT.....Coach Walton can't be very pleased with how this team is playing....for the first time in over a decade, ORU has a decent chance of getting beat out for the automatic Summit NCAA bid by SDSU or Centenary....it's going to come down to weather we can win those first 2 games of the tournament....we usually had too much pitching depth for everyone else but not this year.....the tournament at JLJ next month could be a very interesting one for a change.... :sweat::sweat::sweat: