SUU day 3

MrsSmith

I hope no one else is listening to the game. ORU is trailing 9-0 in the 6th. UGLY for the Eagles.

ORU will have to score in the top of the seventh to keep the run rule from being applied on THEM!! 10-0 Thunderbirds.

This has been an absolute comedy today. Four errors in the second inning by the Eagles allowed SUU to score seven, I beleive. As I typed this an E was committed that just scored the eleventh T-bird run. So far ORU is being shut out. Now they have to score two to continue play.

Major problems of some sort with this team. They just don't seem to have desire or something. Don't know what it is.

Price gets a base hit, gives new life. Need two runs this inning (top of seventh) to continue play. Two outs.

Garewal strikes out. We were just shut out and run ruled at Southern Utah. Final score, 11-0, T-birds.

This may have been the most embarrassing loss since I've been following ORU baseball.

Geoff reported that there was a player-only meeting after this game. He said he's never seen that before in the years he's been calling ORU baseball. Not sure what that means - whether that is player-initiated, or whether the coaches don't even WANT to meet with them. Either way, we're looking at a serious problem that will have to either be straightened out, or ORU runs the very real risk of ending their NCAA tournament streak at twelve.

A sad sad day for ORU baseball.....losing 2 at horrendous SUU and giving up 21 runs in the last 2 games....would loved to have been a fly on the wall in that players meeting....yeah, the run of Summit League titles could be in serious jeopardy.... ;(;(;(

Man, we have officially entered some seriously uncharted waters.

And beyond this point, there be dragons... :sweat:

Man, we have officially entered some seriously uncharted waters.

And beyond this point, there be dragons... :sweat:

I've seen them, they have long ears and they look something like this.

080214-jack-rabbit-02.jpg

I kid, I kid. I can't say too much we lost to Oakland today. :(

I've seen them, they have long ears and they look something like this.

080214-jack-rabbit-02.jpg

I kid, I kid. I can't say too much we lost to Oakland today. :(

Baseball is a strange, strange sport, eh, 89rabbit??? ;)

Yes...baseball IS a strange sport...TheEagleman knows that a lot can change in a month....ORU still has 5 weeks to prepare for the Summit League Tournament which is still on our field.....I'm not throwing in the towel just yet....let's see how the boys rebound vs. Arkansas and WIU this week.... ;)

We knew coming into this season that pitching would probably be the weak point for this team. We lost 4 of our best pitchers after last season. It seems that there are some pitchers who are dialed in, and others that are very inconsistent. I'm sure Rob and his staff are developing these guys as fast as they can but it is a process. It also seems that if ORU gets down by a few runs then the team seems to press and doesn't have the confidence to be patient and make a comeback.

In the Summit League tournament, you only need to win 3 games (as long as you win the 1st 2 games) and I would guess that we have enough quality pitching to piece together those wins. However, if we lose 1 of those 1st 2 games, it could be a real challenge to stretch our pitching through the final game (which would be the 5th game if you go through the loser's bracket).

We knew coming into this season that pitching would probably be the weak point for this team. We lost 4 of our best pitchers after last season. It seems that there are some pitchers who are dialed in, and others that are very inconsistent. I'm sure Rob and his staff are developing these guys as fast as they can but it is a process. It also seems that if ORU gets down by a few runs then the team seems to press and doesn't have the confidence to be patient and make a comeback.

In the Summit League tournament, you only need to win 3 games (as long as you win the 1st 2 games) and I would guess that we have enough quality pitching to piece together those wins. However, if we lose 1 of those 1st 2 games, it could be a real challenge to stretch our pitching through the final game (which would be the 5th game if you go through the loser's bracket).

I agree with what you're saying about pitching, Jason - we knew going into the season that that was supposed to be the weaker part of our game. But in reality, it hasn't been. Take yesterday's game, for instance. Mark Guest struggled on the mound, but we had four fielding errors in the second inning alone (one was on Guest himself, I believe). We had six errors in a seven inning game! Our pitchers aren't really getting support. There have been several games that have gone that way. If you were at the UALR game you saw some fielding errors that were downright embarrassing. I really don't want to come down too hard on anyone - in spite of the errors they make on occasion, I'm amazed at some of the plays they do make out there. It's just that we're unaccustomed to seeing the kinds of problems we're seeing this year.

Our hitting is another thing. In a lot of games we just struggle offensively.

All that to say that I believe our problems extend past the pitchers mound and are pretty pervasive throughout all the areas of play for this team. I'm with Eagleman, though. I still think there's opportunity for righting the ship and getting things headed in the right direction before tournament time. But we'd better start doing it!!

The team seems to be in a February-stage development. New pitchers (Dunn and Beeler) are being added to the pitching staff and they have little game-speed practice to get ready. The fielding has been worse than bad. Yesterday alone, we have six errors - many from mental errors that shouldn't be happening after 30+ games. Also, we give up eleven runs, of which only TWO are earned runs. I don't recall seeing that type of stat before from any competitve game. The only positive thing that happened yesterday was that there was a players-only meeting after the game. At least there are some leaders on that team that care about what is happening right now. Whether they can do anything about the mental-readiness of the team is unknown, but maybe Rob needs to get together with those captains and determine which nine they want to go to combat and put them on the field.

Arkansas will be a tough game to turn things around, but this team has been shown to be prepared for big games where they didn't seem to have a chance; however, if we lose any of the WIU series at home, I would serious question our heart for getting through this season. Regardless of the outcome for this season and the Summit League tournament, this League's NCAA qualifier looks to be destined for a #4 seed. There's still time for this team to turn this around and better their lot in life, but there's not much time, for sure.

Anybody have any dirt on what was said at the players only meeting?....sounds to TheEagleman like some of the leaders on the team are not pleased and are "stepping up to the plate"....this should be an interesting week....if we are uncompetitive vs. the Hogs and can't sweep pathetic WIU.....well, that spells trouble......let's hope and pray that the good guys show some heart this week....it's been a tough year....gotta work on those fundementals.... :worried::sweat::worried: