Montana Message Board

tmh8286

ORU/Montana game to be televised locally:

Montana-ORU game on television

The Missulian

Febuary 14, 2006

It's not ESPN, but Saturday afternoon's BracketBuster game in Missoula between Montana and Oral Roberts will be televised after all.

The 2:05 p.m. contest at Dahlberg Arena in Missoula will be aired as the Montana Ford Stores "Game of the Week" on Bresnan, Mid-Rivers and other cable systems throughout Montana.

Bruce Parker will handle the play-by-play with color commentary from Dave Guffey and Joe McClafferty. The game is being produced by Lynn Productions of Helena.

Digital coordinates: AM05-K10C; D/L FREQ: 11987.5 H; Symbol Rate: 5.632; FEC: 3 over 4.

I don't remember if this was posted before, but even if it was, I thought I'd post it again. It's the response of the Montana coach, Larry Krystkowiak, after learning he'd be playing ORU. I've highlighted some pertinant parts:

Griz draw Oral Roberts in BracketBuster

By BOB MESEROLL of the Missoulian

Want to get Montana men's basketball coach Larry Krystkowiak [pronounced] riled up?

Ask him about BracketBusters, a made-for-TV weekend of 50 games pitting teams from 18 mid-major conferences.

The Griz learned Tuesday that they'll host Oral Roberts of the Mid-Continent Conference on Saturday, Feb. 18. A tip-off time has yet to be determined.

Despite their 16-3 overall record and being ranked No. 9 in the latest collegeinsider.com Mid-Major poll, the Griz were passed over when TV games were awarded by ESPN on Monday. That's one of the minor factors that got under Krystkowiak's skin.

?It's not really for me to decide,? Krystkowiak said of the teams selected for televised games. ?There's a lot of logistics involved when you're running a TV company. I can't say I appreciate armchair quarterbacks trying to do my job, so I'm not going to jump in and do somebody else's job.?

The Big Sky Conference selected Montana, Montana State, Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona as its representatives for BracketBusters this season based on projections that those teams would be in the upper echelon of league play. Krystkowiak would have been just as happy if the Griz had been left off that list.

?If I had my choice, I would not be a part of BracketBusters,? Krystkowiak said. ?The reality is we're never going to get an at-large bid (to the NCAA tournament). When you have eight coaches' livelihoods and players' fate depending on how the conference goes, then two weeks before it's over you throw in a completely random opponent and create travel situations, I just think it's counterproductive.?

Because of its involvement in BracketBusters, Montana's home game against league-leading Northern Arizona was moved from Feb. 18 to Feb. 27, a Monday. It will be the Grizzlies' third game in five nights to close out the regular season.

Northern Arizona, with a Division I-best nine-game winning streak, learned Monday it will face Western Kentucky in Bowling Green in one of the televised games.

On Tuesday, Montana State learned it would host Idaho while Eastern Washington will travel to Cal State Fullerton.

Oral history

The Griz are 0-4 all-time against Oral Roberts, including an 80-68 setback to the Golden Eagles in 1997 in Missoula in their last meeting.

The Golden Eagles currently are 12-9 overall, 7-2 and in second place in league. Among their nine losses are setbacks to Minnesota of the Big 10, Oklahoma of the Big 12, and two to WAC contender Utah State.

?They're solid,? Krystkowiak said of the Eagles, who are led by 6-foot-8 junior forward Caleb Green, who averages 20.5 points. ?I don't think either one of us are very excited about playing each other. Logistically, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense from a geography standpoint. It's far from perfect, that's for sure.?

ORU is coached by Scott Sutton, the youngest son of Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton.

?We have a lot of respect for Montana's program,? Scott Sutton said. ?They're obviously having a great year. This will be a difficult challenge but we're looking forward to it.?

The Griz will make a return trip to Tulsa next season.

We're going to have to watch these guys closely!! This was posted over on the TU message board.

Montana Apologizes For Scoring Mistake

Montana Apology - Feb. 16

University of Montana Athletics Director Jim O?Day has sent a letter of apology to Sacramento State Athletics Director Terry Wanless and head men?s basketball coach Jerome Jenkins for a scoring error which occurred in Wednesday night?s basketball game between the schools.

?After reviewing Wednesday night?s game film with members of my staff, I would like to apologize on behalf of UM Athletics for a critical scoring error that occurred late in the contest,?? O?Day wrote. ?While an apology does not rectify the existing problem, I can only tell you we are reviewing with our scorers the duties and responsibilities found in Rule 2 Section 12 of the NCAA rules and Interpretations Manual.??

?I can only imagine how upset the Sacramento State men?s basketball team must be. On behalf of the University of Montana, I express our deepest and most sincere apology.??

Sacramento State?s DaShawn Freeman was credited with making just one free throw with roughly five minutes remaining in the second half. Although credited with two free throws on the scoreboard, the official scorekeeper credited Freeman with just one make. The point was added to the scoreboard with 3:16 to play, making the score on the scoreboard correct.

With 1:57 remaining, the official scorekeeper reviewed his book and determined Sacramento State had one less point than displayed on the scoreboard. At that time, the score was adjusted to reflect the score as it appeared in the official scorebook.

Montana officially won the game 84-79.

?We appreciate the University of Montana stepping forward and admitting the mistake,?? said Big Sky Conference Commissioner Doug Fullerton. ?The officials rely on the personnel at the scorers table to keep an accurate account of the score. The Big Sky Conference will still review the game tape and evaluate the procedure of everyone involved.??

The rule book states that the NCAA Men?s Basketball Rules Committee does not recognize or allow protests.

Followed the link on the original link that I posted and it looks like the Bracket Busters game will be streamed. Maybe I'm missing something. We'll find out this afternoon. :?

http://www.mtgriz.com/