"ORU Section" at 66ers Playoff Game This Friday

Old Titan

Come on out to the Tulsa Convention Center Friday night and support Larry Owens, Marcus Lewis, Moses Ehambe and the 66ers as they take on Taylor Griffin and the Iowa Energy in the D-League Playoff.

We got a sweet group deal from the 66ers on tickets: $11 lower level reserved seat, AND it includes a drink and a hot dog! ^_^

Just call Kari in the 66ers Business Office at 585-8444 and ask for tickets in the "ORU Section". She will put us all in the same area of seats. You can pay by phone with a credit card, or at their offices at 2727 E. 21st, Suite 500 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. this week.

And don't forget to wear your ORU gear!! :clap:

I bought our tickets today.

Kari told me that 7 of the Thunder players are going to come watch the 66ers.

I bought our tickets today.

Kari told me that 7 of the Thunder players are going to come watch the 66ers.

I'm taking my son and a couple of his basketball teammates - should be fun!

What section are your tickets for? We got free tickets at work but want to move over and sit with our ORU fans.

Sounds like a great evening....TheEagleman wishes he could be there with you guys....I will expect a full report.... ;)

How did our ORU guys play last night?....TheEagleman heard that Tulsa lost a close game.... :(

thanks to the info that Old Titan gave us, we had great seats!! LO played very well, led the team in scoring with 20. Moses hit some 3s to get us back in the game. A fun night, except that we lost.

How did our ORU guys play last night?....TheEagleman heard that Tulsa lost a close game.... :(

I was really impressed with all three, despite the loss. Not having attended a 66er's game before last night, I didn't realize how much of a factor they are for the team.

Larry Owens was honored before the game for making the D-League All-Star team, and in pre-game introductions, he was the only Tulsa player to get a little extra love from the PA guy, who introduced him as "the heart and soul of the 66er's, Larry Owens". Larry's game is very similar to what it was at ORU: he does everything really well, including bringing the ball up, rebounding, playing defense, and getting to the rim. His 3-point shooting has really improved, though he still uncorked a couple of airballs at critical times. Still, he was all over the stat sheet, and at times appeared to be the best player on the floor (which is saying something, because Iowa was pretty good - could really shoot the ball).

Moses Ehambe doesn't start, but the PA guy sure made it a big deal whenever he entered the game, and the crowd really responded, I suppose because he's gained a rep for being instant offense off the bench. He hit several 3's last night, and every time he did, the PA guy went nuts, saying "HO-O-O-O-LY MOSES!! ANOTHER THREE FOR EEE-HAHM-BEE!!" Pretty clever, if you ask me.

After a slow start, Marcus Lewis really impressed me in the 2nd half. While his offensive game is a little earth-bound for this level, he helped lead Tulsa back from a 20-point deficit by battling for rebounds, drawing 3 straight charges on one stretch, blocking a couple of shots, and even squaring off with an opposing player during a deadball, getting both benches all riled up. Like the other two ORU guys, he simply brings a lot of energy and heart to the team. I thought they all three just did a great job that ORU fans could be proud of.

Just saw this today:

All NBA D-League Third Team - forward Larry Owens

Owens is the only player on the 66rs to start all 50 games during the regular season, averaging 15.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.5 steals in 36.4 minutes per game. The Oral Roberts University product scored a team season-high 37 points against Maine on February 18, then posted a 34-point performance on the road at Rio Grande Valley on March 14. The 6-7 forward also posted four double-doubles on the season.

Adams scores 24 to lead Sixers past Iowa on Sunday

(excerpt)

By Staff Reports

Published: 4/19/2010 2:26 AM

Last Modified: 4/19/2010 4:41 AM

DES MOINES, Iowa — Wink Adams led Tulsa with a team-high 24 points and six assists, as the 66ers defeated Iowa 117-106 on Sunday in Game 2 of their NBA Development League best-of-three playoff series at Wells Fargo Arena.

The Sixers' victory extends the semifinals to a deciding Game 3 on Tuesday in Des Moines at 7 p.m.

The 66ers won despite playing without forward Byron Mullens, guard Mustafa Shakur and guard Kyle Weaver, who were recalled from Tulsa on Saturday by the team's parent club, the NBA's Oklahoma City Thunder.

Tulsa broke out early with a 12-3 run, capped by an Adams jumper with 5:24 left in the first quarter. Two free throws by Darian Townes capped a 6-0 run for the Energy, as it got to within 12-9 with 2:47 remaining. The 66ers held on to lead 20-18 after the opening quarter. The Energy shot 6-for-22 from the field, as Townes scored six points in the quarter, while Tulsa shot 8-of-22.

The Energy jumped out to a 17-5 run in the second quarter, taking a 35-25 edge with 7:03 remaining in the first half after a Pat Carroll 3-pointer.

Iowa used six Tulsa turnovers in the quarter to extend its lead to 15 after two Brian Evans free throws with 1:14 left. The Energy took a 53-40 lead into halftime after shooting 13-for-30 from the field, led by Curtis Stinson and Carroll with nine points each in the quarter.

Latavious Williams led the 66ers with six points and four rebounds in the period, as they shot 9-for-22 from the field.

Tulsa outscored Iowa 21-10 to start the third quarter, and battled back to within 63-61 following a Cecil Brown 3-pointer with 5:46 remaining.

The Energy used an 8-0 run to build its lead back to 71-61 with 5:06 on the clock. The 66ers continued to battle back and captured the lead at 79-78 after another Brown 3-pointer and Williams dunk with 1:03 left.

Tulsa shot 70 percent (14-20), outscored the Energy 43-27 and outrebounded Iowa 14-6 in the quarter to take an 83-80 lead into the fourth.

A three-point play by Larry Owens capped a 6-1 run to start the fourth quarter for the 66ers, as they built an 89-81 lead with 10:55 left in the game.

The Energy got back to within four at 89-85, but JaJuan Smith hit a 3-pointer and Moses Ehambe three-point play gave Tulsa an eight-point lead at 95-87 with 7:16 left. The teams traded baskets throughout the rest of the quarter until Ehambe hit a 3-pointer with 1:13 remaining to give the 66ers a 110-99 lead. Free throws down the stretch sealed the victory....

Link to Full Story

Not surprising at all to see the 66er regulars play better without the Thunder players in the line-up.

From what I saw Friday night, Weaver and Shakur were ball hogs and Mullens couldn't guard my dear ol' Granny, and she can't go left.

The 66er reserves, with Moses and Marcus leading the way, fueled the second half comeback that cut a 20-point deficit to just 3; before the Thunder guys came in and botched it the final few minutes.

Have you guys seen the Phila. 76ers play this year?....maybe we could pick him up....LO would be in our top 8 and get some valuable minutes on this team.....we could sure use someone with is defensive intensity..... :geek:

Wow - the 66ers lose at home and then beat the Energy twice on the road. I noticed that the Energy had 4 technicals tonight so I'm guessing that they weren't liking the officiating too well.