66ers Advance in Playoffs; Larry Owens Stars

Old Titan

Former ORU great Larry Owens scored 21 points as the Tulsa 66ers of the NBA D-League won the deciding game of their best-of-three series with Sioux Falls last night in South Dakota.

The 66ers, with former Golden Eagles Moses Ehambe and Marcus Lewis also seeing time, host the Iowa Energy at 7:00 Friday night at the Tulsa Convention Center to start the next round of playoffs.

I've been wanting to see a 66ers game all season, and Friday night should be a great time to do it. Iowa just added Taylor Griffin, Blake's brother and Sooner teammate, to their roster from the Phoenix Suns. The 66ers' late-season surge has been helped by the addition of Oklahoma City Thunder players Byron Mullins and Mustafa Shakur.

Anybody else think they might check this one out? We could all go out there en masse in Golden Eagle gear and support the former ORU players! :clap:

That's a great idea. We've also been meaning to go. What section are you buying seats in?

LOL! Buy a cheap seat and sit in the front row.

LOL! Buy a cheap seat and sit in the front row.

Should we just tell the ushers we're friends of yours? 8)

Got a sweet group deal from the 66ers on tickets for Friday night's playoff game: $11 lower level reserved seat, AND it includes a drink and a hot dog! ^_^

Just call Kari in the 66ers Business Office at 585-8444 and ask for tickets in the "ORU Section". She will put us all in the same area of seats. You can pay by phone with a credit card, or at their offices at 2727 E. 21st, Suite 500 between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. this week.

Don't forget to wear your ORU gear - hope to see you guys there! :clap:

Larry really did a great job this year..he is really improving..and has really improved alot since he has been at ORU....What has really helped the 66ers is that the Thunder send down Kyle Weaver right as the playoffs started...and in 3 games he has averaged 25 some points per game

The 66ers head coach was interviewed earlier today on the Sports Animal and I only caught part of the interview. However, he said that it is possible that Larry Owens could get a 10-day contract with the Thunder and not be available for the NBDL playoffs. He actually said that it was possible that either Larry or one other player (whose name I don't remember) could get a call-up. He also said that 36 players from the NBDL have had call-ups to the NBA this season and he considered that to be a very healthy thing for the NBDL.

I would love to see Larry get an opportunity like that, but clearly Larry is drawing some attention. I thought it kind of odd that a team would consider calling a player up for their first time in the NBA as they enter the 1st round of the playoffs. Do the NBA playoff rosters include an extra player vs. the regular season?

The 66ers head coach was interviewed earlier today on the Sports Animal and I only caught part of the interview. However, he said that it is possible that Larry Owens could get a 10-day contract with the Thunder and not be available for the NBDL playoffs. He actually said that it was possible that either Larry or one other player (whose name I don't remember) could get a call-up. He also said that 36 players from the NBDL have had call-ups to the NBA this season and he considered that to be a very healthy thing for the NBDL.

I would love to see Larry get an opportunity like that, but clearly Larry is drawing some attention. I thought it kind of odd that a team would consider calling a player up for their first time in the NBA as they enter the 1st round of the playoffs. Do the NBA playoff rosters include an extra player vs. the regular season?

They may want him simply for practice purposes, to give the Thunder regulars the toughest possible match-ups in playoff preparations.

they have been calling up mustafa Shakur, he is really good as well...the thunder signed him to two ten day contracts this season..and i believe he is still on the thunder roster...they just sent him back down