Longhorns fall to Oral Roberts

ORUalum

I e-mailed a note last week after the Texas win to the UT journalism homer who called us "lowly" in the American-Statesman article, trying to educate him on our baseball heritage, and here's the response I received:

Michael Sherfield

April 4, 2010 at 1:55pm

Re: "Lowly Oral Roberts"?

I appreciate you reading the article and taking the time to find me, even if you disagree with what I wrote.

While Texas has had a few struggles against ORU, that was the first time in 16 games the Eagles have won. They're also a very mediocre 11-10 on the season playing against the team that is among the favorites to win the title, was within a strike of winning last year, and is probably the most successful baseball school in the past decade.

I'm sorry to say that in that context, I believe the term "lowly", while perhaps undeserved given their performance Tuesday night, is still fitting in the bigger picture.

Again, thanks for reading, and congratulations on the win Tuesday.

Michael

I'm not sure which ticks me off more: the fact that he called us "lowly Oral Roberts" in the first place; or that after reconsidering it, he still feels it was warranted.

They say "Youth is wasted on the young".

So too, apparently, are facts and college tuition. :doh:

Trust me, his response probably has a lot more to do with the fact that he's at TEXAS, than his age.

Trust me, his response probably has a lot more to do with the fact that he's at TEXAS, than his age.

It's a bad combination for any hope of humility, that's for sure... |(

This kid has a lot more work to do if he plans on being a sports journalist and not just a smug writer for the college paper. On the comments below the story even UT and A&M fans mock using the term "lowly". Maybe he needs to put down the thesaurus and take a few more pre-game and IN-game notes next time...

Like maybe the name of the ORU starter? Or how the score mysteriously got to 2-0? But if you put all that in the article, then there wouldn't be room for the whiny excuses from Texas: "We just don't compete when we play them and weren't focused on the game." Please. :puke:

I'm surprised by the Statesman-- they just send interns to UT baseball games now? And then poorly edit the submitted article?

I e-mailed a note last week after the Texas win to the UT journalism homer who called us "lowly" in the American-Statesman article, trying to educate him on our baseball heritage, and here's the response I received:

Michael Sherfield

April 4, 2010 at 1:55pm

Re: "Lowly Oral Roberts"?

I appreciate you reading the article and taking the time to find me, even if you disagree with what I wrote.

While Texas has had a few struggles against ORU, that was the first time in 16 games the Eagles have won. They're also a very mediocre 11-10 on the season playing against the team that is among the favorites to win the title, was within a strike of winning last year, and is probably the most successful baseball school in the past decade.

I'm sorry to say that in that context, I believe the term "lowly", while perhaps undeserved given their performance Tuesday night, is still fitting in the bigger picture.

Again, thanks for reading, and congratulations on the win Tuesday.

Michael

I'm not sure which ticks me off more: the fact that he called us "lowly Oral Roberts" in the first place; or that after reconsidering it, he still feels it was warranted.

They say "Youth is wasted on the young".

So too, apparently, are facts and college tuition. :doh:

Most of the dumbest people I know are the most highly 'educated'.