Eddie Sutton....

ORUTerry

There was a press conference in Stillwater tonight where OSU head basketball coach Eddie Sutton admitted to being intoxicated (along with the effects of pain medication?) while driving to the airport last Friday. He said the pain he has been enduring caused him to give into temptation and begin drinking again. Eddie took full responsibility and apologized to the people who were harmed and endangered. (It is unclear whether he has resigned or not.)

I think we can all agree that what he did was wrong and put others (and himself) in peril. That said, I think we can also agree that we should pray for all of those involved including the woman/family affected by the accident.

Coach Sutton (and his family) will need our prayers as he continues his struggle against alcoholism.

How does this affect ORU? Well, our head coach will be emotionally impacted - and by extension, the team. We need to pray for Scott as he walks with his father through this valley. Some things are bigger and more important than basketball.

(It is unclear whether he has resigned or not.)

I seemed clear to me he did not resign. The only question asked of the president was about the resignation as well; his answer was about the medical leave, waiting, and making that decision in the future.

Personally, I am very glad he did not resign at this time.

Quote from the ESPN link in the previous message:

"We know our program and our players will be in great hands," Indiana president David Schmidly said.

Uh, excuse me... Schmidly is president at Oklahoma State... not Indiana.

There are reports that Mike Davis of Indiana has told IU officials that he will step down after the end of the season. That may be the reason for the mix-up.

From the Tulsa World "Latest Headlines":

"'I regret what has happened more than anyone will ever know,' said Sutton, who was cited by police for driving under the influence.

Sutton will remain on medical leave and didn't announce a resignation or retirement. OSU president David Schmidly said Sutton's future as basketball coach would be discussed at a later date. "

Eddie Sutton's statement Wednesday night during a press conference at Gallagher-Iba Arena (TW):

Note: An audio version of this statement will be available mid-morning.

"Let me begin by expressing to each of you how much I appreciate the support I received from so many people around the country. I especially am grateful to my family for their support -- especially my wife, Patsy. I also want to thank the OSU family for their support.

"This is a very difficult period. As many of you know, I love Oklahoma State University and I want to do what is best not only for OSU, but also what is best for my family and me. I know what has happened since Friday has caused a great deal of sorrow. I regret what has happened more than anyone will ever know. I sincerely apologize to my family, to my university, to my players past and present, to the great student body, and to all of our great fans.

"I also want to apologize to Teresa Barnard. I am grateful no one was seriously injured in the accident.

"For the past two years, I have experienced a number of health challenges. My back and hip situation is well documented. The pain at times literally has been unbearable.

"Last Friday, the pain was so bad that I took a lot of pain pills, but that didn't seem to work. So I succumbed to temptation and went and bought a bottle. I have a problem with alcohol. That said, I make no excuses for what has happened. I recognize it and I will be seeking treatment for it. I went to (the Betty Ford Center) in the late '80s, and I will be checking into another treatment center in the very near future.

"I know I've let many people down. I seek your help and I trust, as I address my health challenges and my problem, I will once again be worthy of earning your trust and respect. The overwhelming words of encouragement I've received from people, and the unconditional love of my family, has sustained me and I am certain will continue to do so in the difficult days ahead.

"I love Oklahoma State basketball. Even though this has been a tough year for our coaches, our team and our fans, I know our team is in great hands with Sean (acting head coach Sean Sutton and assistants James Dickey, Jimmy Williams and Kyle Keller). I am very proud of Sean, as I am my entire family, and I know he will do a great job. He has a chance to be an even better coach than I have been.

"To my players, I love you guys and I expect you to play hard because you are representing the finest university with the best fans anywhere on the face of this earth.

"I will now move forward to address my health concerns, but let there be no doubt that I will be pulling with all my might for the Cowboys. And I hope each of you will be pulling for me. I won't see you again for a while as I will be going to a treatment center. God bless, and please continue to pray for me."

Victim of crash wishes Sutton well

By MIKE STRAIN World Sports Editor

2/16/2006

Teresa Barnard choked back tears late Wednesday after hearing Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton's apology to her during a press conference in which he announced he would seek treatment for an alcohol problem.

"It hurt my heart, and I wish him the best," Barnard said in a telephone interview, her voice quaking. "It takes a hell of a man to do what he did."

On Friday, Sutton and Barnard were involved in a two-vehicle collision. Sutton, who was driving a Dodge Durango, hit Barnard's Chevrolet Suburban from behind at about 60 mph, according to a police report. Sutton was cited for driving under the influence.

In the days afterward, Barnard said she was "furious" that Sutton hadn't apologized.

On Wednesday, Sutton issued several apologies -- to his family, his university and his players, both past and present. He singled out Barnard by name.

"I also want to apologize to Teresa Barnard," Sutton said. "I'm grateful no one was seriously injured in the accident."

Sutton was thankful for the support he has received since the accident and asked for continued prayers.

He has Barnard's continued support. "I wish him the best," she said. "I really do wish him the best."

Tragic. Why does it seem that good people always find a way to ruin thier legacy. I feel sorry for them. Makes me realize that no one is immune to making choices that can ruin your life.

"an unexamined life is no life at all" God help us keep ourselves in check.

I know i have learned from this situation.