Noah Hartsock

tmh8286

I had a chance to watch Noah Hartsock in person last night, and the kid really is a special player. He's the younger brother of UMKC's Jeremiah Hartsock that was mentioned in the "Mid-Continent Notebook" article.

Here is the line from the paper today:

"Bartlesville (17-4) 64

Broken Arrow (13-7) 62

Highlight: Noah Hartsock scored 38 points to lead the 6A No. 9 Bruins, who held off the 6A No. 12 Tigers' rally from a 14-point deficit."

This kid is an amazing. He's 6'8" but shot lights out from anywhere on the court. Seemed like he hit EVERYTHING he threw up. He missed a couple of contested layups and one or two free throws, but everything else went in, including the game winning layup with four seconds on the clock. Broken Arrow's coach wanted a charge on the play (I watched it on video after the game, and he definitely lowered his shoulder into the defender), but the refs weren't about to call a foul on the game-winning shot against one of the state's best D1 signees! Broken Arrow tied the game up with 13 seconds left, but Bville got the ball to Hartsock and he drove the length of the court for the game winning contested layup.

Not only do his shots go in, but they almost NEVER DRAW METAL! I've never seen so many nothing-but-net shots in my life. During warm-ups I never saw him miss a three pointer, and never saw the ball hit the rim on the way down. I don't think he shot any threes during the game, as nearly as I can remember, though.

My understanding is that he's committed to Brigham Young University for next year.

Great read on the Hartsock kid. Saw him first play as a Soph in the tournament of champions. Obviously pretty special.

Doesn't it seem strange that a program could have 3 D1 kids, but not be any more successful than B'ville has been. Big brother is logging a ton of playing time at UMKC and the Mitchell kids is doing the same at TU.

Mitchell was at the game last night, sitting behind a very LOUD Bville student section. They had almost as many students there as BA.

The problem is, as can be told by the score, Hartsock doesn't have much of a supporting cast. Thirty eight of their sixty four points were scored by Hartsock, and a number of others by free throws.

BA really packed in the zone to deny Hartsock the ball - about the only way he could get it was to come out to the perimeter, where he's still dangerous - but they had a couple of others that his some pretty big threes. From what I was told, Bville shot better from the perimeter last night than usual.

Hartsock scored quite a few points by free throws - sweet shot, nearly always nothing but net.

I didn't say that very well - what I was trying to say is that BA packed in the zone so tight on Hartsock trying to control him that they left shooters wide open on the perimeter, and they were able to hit some big buckets, mostly uncontested.

It's amazing how a single player like Hartsock can make such a difference in nearly EVERY aspect of the game. It goes WAY beyond just his ability to score. He's a difference maker at both ends of the court.