W. Michigan at ORU....

theeagleman5

Glad to see the boys got back in the win column today....sounds like they played a little long ball in the 13-2 win over a weak W. Michigan team....ORU could use a confidence building sweep this weekend....hopefully, our pitching starts to come around...it's clear we can score.... :)

What a brutal schedule Western Michigan has. They open the season with 17 straight road games. ORU was the 10th, with their only win last week against Butler. Hopefully we will send them home 1-11.

I was there today - to the bitter end (as was MrsSmith). Here's what I can tell you about the game - it was COLD!!!

As Eagleman alluded, it was a good confidence-builder for the boys in blue.

Early in the game P.J. Sequera was the leadoff batter in the inning and bunted the ball up the third base line. I don't remember whether it was the pitcher or the third baseman that fielded it, but in any event they made the play to first. It was going to be close, and P.J. was running hard. Somehow, the first baseman was kind of standing on the baseline when he caught the ball, and P.J, ran into him. It wasn't really a hard collision, or at least didn't appear to be. P.J. would have been out, but the ball popped straight up and out of the glove of the first baseman.

Almost immediately he screamed in pain, grabbed his arm, stumbled forward, and then went down near the pitchers mound, writhing in pain and holding his arm. People from both dugouts ran to his assistance. He was on the ground for several minutes before he was helped up and off the field. He looked like he was struggling to find the strength to make it off under his own power. He was holding his elbow, and he looked to be in tremendous pain. I really felt terribly for the kid.

I'd sure like to know what happened and how he's doing, if anyone should know the story.

Thanks, CCB82. That video gives no impression of how cold it was out there - in the 40's by the end of the game, I believe. I kept thinking about those guys sliding and diving on that wet, cold, muddy ground, grinding that mud into thier unis.

They must have some really special soap to get that red mud out of those white uniforms . . . :(

Let's get game 2 today...hope the weather is a bit nicer....TheEagleman is sorry to hear about the WMU first baseman....possibly a dislocated elbow?.... :(

Let's get game 2 today...hope the weather is a bit nicer....TheEagleman is sorry to hear about the WMU first baseman....possibly a dislocated elbow?.... :(

My first thought was a dislocation. I've seen a couple of others, and the reaction is classic - instant, excruciating, uncontrollable pain.

The guy I was with suspected a broken bone.

It appeared that the bill of P.J.'s batting helmet may have caught the guy right on the elbow, or just above it. Hope we can get a report on it at some point. Maybe Geoff will have some info on it today.

Who is starting today on the mound for ORU?....we have to get our pitching in order.....big games coming up in the next 10 days vs. TCU, UCLA and Wichita State..... :sweat::sweat::sweat:

ORU wins game two by 9-2....Bowen pitched well for the win....HRs for Price and Saladino.....two in a row for the good guys!....any details from those at JL johnson?... :)

Nice to get the sweep today....we really kicked butt in all 3 games but not sure how stiff a test we got from Western Michigan....the six games in the next 10 days will show what we are made of....TheEagleman is glad we are 5-6....sounds a lot better than the 2-6 we were coming in to the weekend..... :)