Freshman duo seals victory; ORU women advance to final

ORUTerry

20100309_oruwomen0309_package.jpg

ORU's Kevi Luper draws a blocking foul on UMKC's Mariah Davis. Luper scored a game-high 26 points. Dave Eggen / Inertia

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

Published: 3/9/2010 2:20 AM

Last Modified: 3/9/2010 4:32 AM

Related Story: Golden Eagles' run hits skids in Summit League semifinals

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. — Jerry Finkbeiner said his Oral Roberts women sailed into "uncharted waters" Monday when senior leader Janae Voelker fouled out with 5:55 left in the Golden Eagles' semifinal game with UMKC in the Summit League Tournament.

"I leaned over to (assistant coach Eric Ely) and said, 'Jaci and Kevi' are gonna have to finish this thing for us," Finkbeiner said.....

Link to Full Story

The Eagles advance to the Summit League final for the third time in four years and seventh time overall in Finkbeiner's 14 seasons. They've won the title five times.

ORU swept the season series with SDSU, but is sure to face a hostile crowd Tuesday. The Jackrabbits, from nearby Brookings, S.D., had 3,800 fans for Monday's win.

"It was the same way when we played them up there," Luper said. "They had tons of fans ... but we love playing in atmospheres like that."

#1 - this documents the INCREDIBLE success that Jerry has had since he's been at ORU. I think sometimes we overlook some of that. The women's team doesn't get quite the attention that the men's team does, but think about what that says - Jerry has won the Mid-Con/Summit League Championship FIVE TIMES in fourteen years, and has been in the championship seven times. that comes pretty close to DOMINATION.

#2 - I hate to admit it, but once again, voice is right - these ladies DO enjoy the energy of a hostile crowd!! :clap:

"I leaned over to (assistant coach Eric Ely) and said, 'Jaci and Kevi' are gonna have to finish this thing for us," Finkbeiner said.....

Let’s not overlook that Janae and Jordan both had strong performances in this game and the tournament. Kevi is an exceptional ball player; as is Jaci; however, if we are going to beat South Dakota State, it is going to take more than them to win – it will take all five on the court playing aggressive defense, hitting the boards, and looking for the open shot. Oh, and a solid contribution from the bench.

I like how ORUJason stated it on another post...."Great win for the team!"

Let’s not overlook that Janae and Jordan both had strong performances in this game and the tournament. Kevi is an exceptional ball player; as is Jaci; however, if we are going to beat South Dakota State, it is going to take more than them to win – it will take all five on the court playing aggressive defense, hitting the boards, and looking for the open shot. Oh, and a solid contribution from the bench.

At this point in the tournament I think you'd have to give Jordan MVP. She's just been unstoppable so far.

Now, why twist Coach Finkbeiner's quote into another of these tired "Boo-hoo-Jaci-and-Kevi-get-all-the-love" arguments?

I'm virtually certain that Coach meant THE GUARDS (Kevi and Jaci) would need to protect the ball - and thus the lead - down the stretch, by making good passes, taking good shots, drawing fouls, and getting to the free throw line.

That's what guards do with a slim lead and 5 minutes to go - it's not about who gets to be the star, it's about who's job it is.

Thank goodness the girls on this team seem to get along and play unselfishly. I just wish some of their "fans" would show a similar level of maturity.

I've had it with the sniping and bickering from a small but vocal contingent on this message board about who gets the credit for the team's success.

Like Harry Truman said: "It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."

[

Like Harry Truman said: "It's amazing what can be accomplished when no one cares who gets the credit."

Let's keep politics out of this discussion, OT!!! ;)

Unless I can add my own two cents, in which case, it's like John Kennedy used to say, "Ich bin ein Berliner"!

it would be a shame if the great accomplishments of this team is overshadowed by arguments over who should get credit for the success. it is a team and all of the young ladies contributed to a fantastic year that is not over yet. i have thoroughly enjoyed following the lady golden eagles for the last month and a half since returning stateside. coach fink has introduced a fun and exciting brand of basketball to the summit league and they almost got to the big dance w/a very young team. the future is very bright w/a talented group of recruits coming in and georgia jones returning from injury.