Bracketology

tmh8286

I believe that the confernece will finish in the same order that it stands right now. I've gone through the final games of the conference season, and here's how I think the season will finish up:

1 - IUPUI     14-2

2 - ORU       13-3

3 - UMKC      11-5

4 - SUU       9-7

5 - Valpo     8-8

6 - CSU       7-9

7 - Oakland   5-11

8 - WIU       3-13

9 - Cent.     2-14

If these are correct, here are the first round matchups:

1 vs. 8 - IUPUI/WIU

2 vs. 7 - ORU/Oakland

3 vs. 6 - UMKC/CSU

4 vs. 5 - Valpo/SUU

Those are my predictions for the first round of the Mid-Con Tournament.

I was doing the same thing yesterday. I definitely like those matchups for us. I think the first round will follow the seeds but then it gets tricky.

Valpo is usually a tournament team, so I could see them upsetting IUPUI, but I don't think that will happen.

On Thursday we will find our if we really have UMKC's number. If we can comfortably beat them, then all roads lead to the championship game.

All in all, I think we will see an IUPUI-ORU rematch in the finals.

PS - TMH, who do you think will beat IUPUI?

PPS - ORU will win the mid-con tourney, forgot to mention that. :D

I think I gave the win to SUU. IUPUI has got three pretty tough games ahead of them. There's a pretty significant chance, after the really big week they had last week, that they could let down at Centenary and lose there. A friend of mine is betting that they do.

But I think it's more likely that they will lose at SUU. Cedar City's just a tough place to win.

Even if they don't, and win out, it doesn't change THEIR place; it might change SUU's depending on the tiebreaker between them and Chicago State.

I thought about posting my prediction of the entire bracket, and yes, in the bracket I've filled out, ORU wins! Can you believe it?

I went back through and found I made a tabulating error that flip-flops Valpo and SUU. Everything else stays the same.

It didn't affect the bracket.

Bascially, finishing 4th or 5th is the same thing when it comes to the tournament....I agree with your list, although I think Valpo might sneak into 3rd if we beat UMKC and you do to....but I think being 4th or 5th might be better. I really think we beat IUPUI in the semi's if we get there....we'll see....

I based my prediction of the outcome of the UMKC/Valpo (W for UMKC) on the fact that they beat you at home, and that they swept us in a similar situation last year.

Purely conjecture . . .

I gave Southern Utah the win at home over IUPUI. That would also have a direct effect on Valpo.

It's easy to make a case for Valpo finishing third . . .

It's easy to make a case for Valpo finishing third . . .

I don't know if I'd say "easy". Valpo must win at UMKC, and then still needs some help, including a possible Valpo win at the Mabee Center. Although I believe that Valpo is always dangerous, I think they have a 90% chance of playing in the 4/5 game on Sunday night.

Also, even though upsets reigned supreme in the tourney last season - I believe the top 4 teams this year are a "step above" the rest of the competition. Monday night's matchups should be the regional rivalries of Valpo-IUPUI and UMKC-ORU. Those would be two exciting semis!

My predictions regarding the four games last night were all correct.

So far my first post regarding seedings and first round bracket is still on track.

I like our chances against Oakland early. Of all the lower teams, that is a good one to match up with.

I don't like Valpo's chances against SUU. If they are hot, good night. But i don't count valpo out totally. I hope you guys can rebound abit from this tough time.

I also see upset from CSU over UMKC

1. UMKC relies too much on day

2. CSU always plays for pride in the tourney. They got them last year at a higher seed

TMH, is there any speculation about which next rounds will play together?

If you see Valpo lose next Saturday at Mabee and then lose to SUU in the first round at the Mid-Con Tournament, that will continue to make Homer "0-for-A Lot" in Tulsa and will continue to make the psychololgical drain that Valparaiso can't win in Tulsa even stronger.

TMH, is there any speculation about which next rounds will play together?

Sure!

Semifinal games will be:

IUPUI vs. Valpo

ORU vs. UMKC

Not any upsets there. This is a time when I hope that I'm wrong - it would be a lot more fun.

I also see upset from CSU over UMKC

1. UMKC relies too much on day

2. CSU always plays for pride in the tourney. They got them last year at a higher seed

Didn't Oakland upset UMKC in the first round last year, and CSU upset Valpo.

Good memory, fenix. Here are the results of last year's tournament. I thought about posting them before, but hesitated because of the result of the championship game. But since you brought it up, here are those results:

Quarterfinals

#1 Oral Roberts 82, #8 Southern Utah 59

#7 Oakland 67, #2 UMKC 63

#4 IUPUI 70, #5 Western Illinois 62

#6 Chicago State 72, #3 Valparaiso 67

Semifinals

#1 Oral Roberts 80, #4 IUPUI 69

#7 Oakland 56, #6 Chicago State 53

Championship game

#7 Oakland 61, #1 Oral Roberts 60

2005 Toshiba Mid-Continent Conference Men?s Basketball All-Tournament Team

Caleb Green, Oral Roberts

Rawle Marshall, Oakland (MVP)

Andrew Meloy, Oral Roberts

Cortney Scott, Oakland

Ken Tutt, Oral Roberts

BTW, I'm saying that UMKC doesn't get hosed two years in a row in the tournament, and Valpo finally gets the monkey off their back by winning one in Tulsa. There will probably be upsets this year as well - I'm just not predicting any at this point.

It appears highly probable that ORU's first round opponent in both the Men's and Women's brackets will be Oakland. Given the recent history between the two schools (the women just split two very close games within a week, and the men... well, we all remember), it would be an ironic setup to begin the Mid-Con Tourney. Bring on the Grizz!