Use of the Zone Attacks Perceptions and Ego - NY Times

ORUTerry

(an interesting story about zone defense and its perception in college basketball - from the March 3, 2010 New York Times)

By RAY GLIER

Published: March 3, 2010

Man-to-man defense is the red meat of college basketball, with players held accountable on every possession. They crouch — sometimes so low they can slap their palms on the floor — as if defending against a threat more dangerous than an opponent with a basketball.......

Link to Full Story

Interesting article.

I think zones are OK - until the shot goes up.

There's a misconception that zones help you on defensive rebounds, but I have found over the years that it's simply not true: you're in no position to screen a man off the boards when the other team shoots.

I'm convinced one of the reasons we are such a good defensive rebounding team every year is because we play exclusively man-to-man.

Zone defense is a weapon that can be used for specific purposes. Sutton has used it at times (very sparingly) to throw the opponent off stride a bit during a game.

I agree that it is hard to rebound using a zone because it is difficult to find your man to block out.

It's funny how tightly coaches hold on to their defensive principles, even with variations of man-to-man defense