The LEAST we can do for the Green family

orumom

Most of us visit this message board because we love ORU Athletics. Without the Green family there would be no ORU.....Without ORU, there would be NO ORU Athletics. duh.....

The deadline is approaching for the $4 million matching donation. Please take time to make a donation. We owe it to the Green family to give so that they know that their sacrifices have not gone unappreciated. IT IS THE LEAST WE CAN DO!!! If we don't step up as alumni & friends of the university we are saying we don't care if ORU gets back in the same shape it was in. What a slap in the face that would be to the wonderful people who stepped in to help a university that they had no ties to. To see ORU out of debt and deferred maintenance being corrected is a miracle. Please say thank you by giving and taking advantage of the offer to match these contributions by the Green family & the Board of Trustees.

https://webapps.oru.edu/new_php/give/in ... ?memorial=

The is the first that I've heard of a new matching campaign and I live here in Tulsa. Did anyone else know we were in another matching campaign after Renewing the Vision? Right now this upsets me a little bit, because If we are in another campaign and we don't even get close to reaching our goal then we absolutely DO NOT need to point the finger at the Alumni & Friends of ORU.

There are no ads on the website homepage about a new campaign

There are no ads on the alumni and friends homepage about a new campaign

Where was this promoted?

What is the campaign for?

Did anyone receive a call about a campaign?

Did anyone get something in the mail about a matching campaign?

I can only assume the goal is 4 million because of your post, mom. Why is this not posted anywhere else? Am I missing it?

One of the greatest reasons that Renewing the Vision was so successful was because a great deal of effort was placed into promoting the campaign. This was Mart Green's baby so he took it upon himself to make sure everyone knew about the campaign, and that ORU was doing everything it could to go after those dollars; and the Alumni and Friends showed their support more than ever before by stepping up to make a gift. Putting the concentration and effort into the promotional platform of fundraising campaigns is not Mart Green's job though! He shouldn't be responsible for making sure that every giving campaign has an markerting plan and indentity to work off of. Somebody else is going to have to step up big in this area. This is a huge (sounds like a several million dollar) learning experience that ORU can grow from. We'll get there one day. I think the OSU Foundation (Oklahoma State University's arm of development) is a good model to learn from. Of course they've been around the block a lot longer than ORU so I'm not expecting us to operate at that level yet, but there are some things we could probably learn from. Check out their site, most notably the various clearly defined areas "campaigns" to give. http://www.osugiving.com/

I stand corrected. Mom's link shows that the giving page is the one place on the website that this is "promoted". Regardless, lets show ORU some Whole Person Scholarship love and give! Tell your friends. Maybe we can still get the word out to a lot of alums everywhere using the greatest promotional tool known to man- Social Media! And it's free!!! When is the deadline, Mom?

I believe that they encouraged alumni at the President's Dinner at homecoming to contribute before April 1 to have funds matched. I thought that it was only contributions made to the Whole Person Scholarship that were being doubled, though, so I learned a little from mom's post as well.

I just called Chris Miller's office to be sure I was giving correct information, You can still give through April 30, 2010 and it will be matched. You must give through "Annual Fund Match Opportunity - Whole Person Scholarship Program" . Because it is then matched up to $4 million, the possible total of $8 million will be used for scholarships. That frees up funds that would otherwise need to be used for scholarships for other things.

Hopefully someone on the the message board is a financial wizzard and can better explain how having more students translates to our being more fiscally sound will jump right in. Terry?

TMH is correct, we were encouraged to give and received brochures at the Homecoming President's Dinner.

Natalie also included information in the monthly emails to alumni. But, there is a LOT of information in those emails so it could get lost. Students have also been calling Alumni.

I have requested that we put something on the front page of the university website ORU.edu that helps push it these last two months. The thermometer kept me enthused on Renewing the Vision. It would be a shame to miss out on the match. I suggest that you send an email to Chris Miller or call his office to suggest it as well 495-7336. That way, I'm not perceived, quite so much as a mavrick. As a member of the Alumni Board, I really do want to represent all of you to the best of my ability. I have also requested that we do an email to all of the alumni and friends of the university that ONLY talks about the match.

Thank you for a very well thought out post vcboy.

I have to agree with VCB, this campaign has really been under the radar. The only time I heard about the matching donation was at the alumni dinner.

You know, as I was sitting here writing this, it dawned on me what a different stratagem that the university is now operating under. Even though it still bears the name of the founder, there is no longer an external organization that the school is a part of. There's no ministry supporting it (or taking from it, depending on your point of view ;) ). ORU is now independent, in a similar way to TU or OCU or any number of other private institutions around the country. ORU now has two sources of income (so far as I'm aware) - tuition and fees from students, and donations from alumni and friends. That thought is exciting in some ways, a little frightening in others.

It's really all the more reason to buck up and give what you can if you want to see ORU survive and thrive.

I have to agree with VCB, this campaign has really been under the radar. The only time I heard about the matching donation was at the alumni dinner.

You know, as I was sitting here writing this, it dawned on me what a different stratagem that the university is now operating under. Even though it still bears the name of the founder, there is no longer an external organization that the school is a part of. There's no ministry supporting it (or taking from it, depending on your point of view ;) ). ORU is now independent, in a similar way to TU or OCU or any number of other private institutions around the country. ORU now has two sources of income (so far as I'm aware) - tuition and fees from students, and donations from alumni and friends. That thought is exciting in some ways, a little frightening in others.

It's really all the more reason to buck up and give what you can if you want to see ORU survive and thrive.

You nailed it! I sent an email to everyone in my address book with the link and challenge all of you to do the same and to ask those people to forward it on as well. The next 60 days could make a big difference, and it would give us a chance to show that it came from the grass roots level. :!:

I really do need to say this:

I am so very appreciative for all of the great things that ORU's development staff has accomplished in such a very short time. This area of the University, like so many others, seemed to operate in handcuffs or under a glass ceiling previously. Since the inception of our new board, Chris Miller has brought exponetial growth in that department with the giving clubs, the donor recognition tree, the 1963 Society, and that is probably just the tip of the iceberg. I am sure that more than anybody else, they have great aspirations to grow. This is something that is close to my heart because being an alum and development officer myself, I am passionate about both ORU and philanthropy.

I just wanted to clarify that so people know that ORU does have a very talented and hard working development office. What could have happened is that this campaign has entities that fall under several departments and some things may have just fallen through the cracks.

Mom, Maverick or not, ORU can't have enough passionate people like yourself that care enough to make those phone calls. Your enthusiasm is contagious, and you are doing an excellenct job as a board member.

I really do need to say this:

I am so very appreciative for all of the great things that ORU's development staff has accomplished in such a very short time. This area of the University, like so many others, seemed to operate in handcuffs or under a glass ceiling previously. Since the inception of our new board, Chris Miller has brought exponetial growth in that department with the giving clubs, the donor recognition tree, the 1963 Society, and that is probably just the tip of the iceberg. I am sure that more than anybody else, they have great aspirations to grow. This is something that is close to my heart because being an alum and development officer myself, I am passionate about both ORU and philanthropy.

I just wanted to clarify that so people know that ORU does have a very talented and hard working development office. What could have happened is that this campaign has entities that fall under several departments and some things may have just fallen through the cracks.

Mom, Maverick or not, ORU can't have enough passionate people like yourself that care enough to make those phone calls. Your enthusiasm is contagious, and you are doing an excellent job as a board member.

Thank you for your kind words. Whenever I come to the message board, I am always reminded that ORU is family.

We ARE fortunate to have Chris Miller & his staff, as well as Natalie and those she works with. They have accomplished a LOT with little funding and manpower. Though, they may never see, this,,.,.kudos!

Wow, Tim! As I read your post, it hit me too! This is all new for ORU. We're going have to help as much as possible while they get their "sea legs" in that area. Folks like me need to be understanding and do continue to do what Mom advised: Communicate to as many people that we can about the scholarship.

It would also not be a bad idea to start brainstorming ways to communicate that epiphany to alumni as well. We were under the old system for so long that it still probably has not hit home yet with some of them either.

Wow! ORU is independent. It is still sinking in.

Wuh oh! Does anyone know if the Development Office took hits during our last Right-Sizing? Chris Miller is no longer listed under the staff section and two other Regional Reps are gone as well :sweat:.

On a brighter note, I found the ORU Giving Twitter site. http://twitter.com/ORUgiving It hasn't been updated since 6/12/09, but could be a valuable tool along with other things as we seek to get the word out about the "Whole Person Scholarship" matching campaign for $4 Million!

Per Natalie Adams in the Alumni office............................................

$1,203,570 combined from alumni & friends so far this fiscal year (which began May 1).

In other words folks.....$1,203,570 down and sixty (60) days, counting today, to raise the other $2,796,430

Call me crazy (I've been called worse) but I think we can do it if we all pull together! Are you all up to the challenge?

I'm up for it, mom! Thanks for finding that out.

I'm up for it, mom! Thanks for finding that out.

I will get a weekly update for us. I'll send you a PM on who is doing what so we can work the most efficiently. Thank you!!!

Sounds like a plan. I'll send you one with my cell phone number as well just in case you need to get ahold of me.

Just brought the mail in-------

I received a piece from Mark Rutland about the match. Please let me know if you all received it as well.

Very nice piece and I especially like the part where he says:

"Not one penny will be used for debt (we have none) or to pay back bills (they are all paid). The printing cost for these books aside, all that you send - all - will go directly to the Whole Person Scholarships, and each dollar will be doubled.

It also says:

This program benefits both students and alumni because it:

-drives up enrollment

-helps erase the deficit

-helps balance the budget

-moves ORU from "economic sustainanility" to "economic vitality"

-makes ORU a more excellent university

-enhances ORU's reputation in the academic community

-increases the value of your degree

It also asks if your employer will match your gift and refers you to matchinggift.com/oru

Thx for the heads up orumom in the mail.

Got to keep supporting ORU!