Ken Tutt may be ready to practice - TW (2-14-2006)

ORUTerry

Ken Tutt may be ready to practice

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

2/14/2006

Junior guard Ken Tutt, who has missed 10 games with an injured right foot, could be cleared to practice and play for the Oral Roberts basketball team as early as Wednesday when he sees his doctor.

ORU athletic trainer Glenn Smith said "everything is positive," based on how Tutt did in limited drills over the weekend.

Smith said it is questionable whether Tutt would be in shape to play in Thursday's home game with Missouri-Kansas City, or Saturday against Montana.

"I won't really know until I start going up and down the court," Tutt said after participating in shooting drills with the team Monday afternoon. "I want to make sure I have some practice time with the guys and I want to make sure everything is OK. I don't want to come back and injure it again."

Tutt said he hopes to play at Montana.

An all-conference honoree each of his first two seasons, Tutt sustained a stress fracture in a game against Western Illinois on Jan. 7. He underwent surgery on Jan. 11 to insert a screw in the bone to hold it together.

Such injuries generally require four to six weeks for recovery. Thursday would be five weeks and a day since the surgery. Smith said

weekly X-rays have shown the bone calcifying properly, although the outside part of the fracture is still visible and will be for some time.

Tutt began jogging Saturday morning and did limited conditioning work with Jonathan Conneely, ORU's strength and conditioning coach.

"I was cutting pretty good. (The injury) doesn't hurt, but it's weak and hard to jump off of right now," Tutt said.

Tutt has been ORU's top outside scorer for most of his first three years, averaging 18.1 points per game over the course of his career and 14.1 this season.

It will be interesting to see how Tutt fits in, now that the Eagles have developed a 10-man rotation. ORU is 7-3 in his absence. Eagle reserves have scored 195 points in the past six games.

Scott Sutton misses ORU practice

By MIKE BROWN World Sports Writer

2/14/2006

Oral Roberts men's basketball coach Scott Sutton missed Monday's team practice "because he had personal matters to attend to," said Chris Belvin, ORU's director of athletic media relations.

Sutton is the son of Oklahoma State head coach Eddie Sutton, who was injured Friday in a two-car crash and stepped aside Monday as OSU's mentor for the remainder of the season.

Scott Sutton attended Oklaho ma State's game in Stillwater against Kansas on Monday night. Scott Sutton was unavailable to the media Monday, Belvin said.

Monday's practice is generally the least formal of the week, Belvin explained. Players lifted weights and did shooting drills for about 45 minutes, directed by first assistant Tom Hankins.

I see Ken Tutt on the sideline at men's games and in the stands at women's games and I just dream about him rainin' threes at the UMAC.

Won't be long before your dream becomes reality, fenix!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's hope that that toe of his has healed properly.