Off to a slow start

tmh8286

:(:(:(

All we needed last night was a little more hitting and a little better pitching, and we would have been right back in that one. ;)

Let's hope we can find more of both today.

Reminder: 5:00 PM start today.

One game down in a LONG season. Obviously, getting drilled 14-1 in the opener was NOT what anyone had in mind. If we get swept by similar scores all weekend, then I'll be concerned. Until then, it's just one game.

ORU needs better pitching tonight....FIU is 4-0 and on a roll....they are obviously playing with a lot of confidence....time to burst their balloon and win this next game or we are looking at a season opening sweep tomorrow....True Blue ORU!... ;)

I pretty much threw away 8.95 last night to see the game. Couldn't really tell what was going on when the ball was in play, and the rest of the time the audio and/or video was out...

But it was obvious that we were playing our first game of the season against a team that gained a lot of confidence last weekend. Pitching, of course was going to be an early concern, but I guess I would feel differently if FIU was knocking the ball all over the park... they benefited from Bowen getting a little rattled, which led to him hitting and walking a couple batters, and they got back-to-back 2 out rallies. A lot of mental errors by ORU and it seemed like ALL of FIU's hits were bloop singles.

The one big bright spot, at least defensively was Pickar. He kept just about everything in front of him. Thats going to make a huge difference. He did get picked off on the bases though :P

I expect ORU to settle down today and maybe have a chance to win this series. Hopefully they remember to bring the bats today!

I expect ORU to settle down today and maybe have a chance to win this series. Hopefully they remember to bring the bats today!

I understand (from the FIU message board) that the Panther pitcher was "on" his game on Friday, especially with his "filthy" off-speed pitches. With Friday night being our season-opener, I can imagine that we were pretty amped up - and throwing a "filthy" pitcher against a pumped-up lineup is like drawing up a screen against a blitzing defense - very effective. Time to get one back tonight...

Rain delay pushed 1st pitch back to 5:30, but top 2nd ORU leads 3-0 off a Colby Price 3-run blast

Rain delay pushed 1st pitch back to 5:30, but top 2nd ORU leads 3-0 off a Colby Price 3-run blast

Thanks for the update, Alum. I can't get the FIU live stats to show that the game has even started - so I'm glad you have insider information - keep it coming!

No prob, Blue. I can't get the live stats to work either.

ORU now up 4-0, top 3rd, no outs. Saladino with a solo HR over the trees in right field. ORU has still somehow struck out 6 times already

Burleson worked out of a jam, with 2 on and 1 out in the 2nd inning.

How the heck do we blow a 6-run lead?....looks like our pitching is going to need a lot of work......... :(

Eagles try to avoid the sweep today at FIU. Down 2-1, bottom 5th... I believe Mark Guest got the start today

Bright side from this weekend is hopefully some of the early season pitching and defensive kinks are getting worked out. Guys getting the full experience this weekend-- getting drilled for 14 runs on Friday... and then giving up a 6 run lead, rallying to tie it in the bottom of the 9th and finally losing it in extras on Sat.

Eagles try to avoid the sweep today at FIU. Down 2-1, bottom 5th... I believe Mark Guest got the start today

Bright side from this weekend is hopefully some of the early season pitching and defensive kinks are getting worked out. Guys getting the full experience this weekend-- getting drilled for 14 runs on Friday and giving up a 6 run lead, rallying to tie it in the bottom of the 9th and finally losing it in extras on Sat.

Thanks for the heads up, Alum. I'm just tuning in. Still in striking distance - let's hope we keep it that way.

Thanks for the heads up, Alum. I'm just tuning in. Still in striking distance - let's hope we keep it that way.

Anytime, tmh! And even better news, Eagles now lead 5-2 going to bottom 7th

Watching USA hockey but trying to keep up with this game too - looks like FIU scored a couple - now 5-4 going into the top of the eighth.

5-5 in the top of the 9th now...our bullpen letting another lead get away....not good..... :sweat:

6-5 ORU as we head to the bottom of the 10th!....another chance for the bullpen to save our first win of the season....where's chance chapman when you need him?... :sweat: