IUPUI 80 ORU 75

orumom

INDIANAPOLIS, IN?Caleb Green (Tulsa, Okla.) scored a game-high 29 points but it wasn't enough for Oral Roberts University in an 80-75 Mid-Continent Conference loss to IUPUI, Saturday at the IUPUI Gymnasium.

League-leading IUPUI (17-7, 12-1) gained a two-game lead in the standings over second-place ORU (15-10, 10-3) with three games remaining. The loss snapped the Golden Eagles five-game winning streak.

Maushae Byles and Brandon Cole combined to score 27 points in the second half as IUPUI shot a sizzling 73.9 percent from the field, including 9-of-11 from 3-point range. The Jaguars shot 56 percent overall for the game.

ORU led 34-30 at halftime and extended the lead to as many as nine points early in the half. But the final five minutes of the game were the difference.

After Andrew Meloy's (Houston, Texas) 3-pointer with 5:12 left gave ORU a 64-61 lead, the Golden Eagles wouldn't score another field goal until Moses Ehambe (Arlington, Texas) hit a 3-pointer with one second left in the game.

During ORU's field-goal dry spell, the Jaguars were 6-of-7 from the field. Angelo Smith cut ORU's lead to 64-53 with a layup at 4:49, and David Barlow gave the Jags the lead for good when his 3-pointer made it 66-64 IUPUI with 4:12 remaining.

A pair of free throws by Green tied it a 66 apiece with 3:32 to play, but a 3-pointer by Cole and a layup by George Hill put IUPUI up 71-66 with 2:44 left. ORU got no closer than three points the rest of the way.

Green was 7-of-15 from the field and 15-of-18 from the line. He added six rebounds and four assists in 39 minutes before fouling out with 10 second to play. Jonathan Bluitt (Oklahoma City, Okla.) scored 12 points and handed out five assists with zero turnovers in 40 minutes, and Larry Owens (Mesa, Ariz.) had 11 points and a game-high 10 rebounds.

ORU shot 49 percent from the field, including 47.4 percent from 3-point range, and was 18-of-22 from the line.

The Golden Eagles return to action when they host UMKC, 7:05 p.m., Thursday at the Mabee Center.

On paper it looks like another game we shoulda won... Except that IUPUI shot 56% from the field and 47.6% from outside the arc. We'd held what, like the last 5 opponents to under 60 points or something like that? Looks like our defense wasn't up to the task last night, not to take any credit away from the IUPUI players tonight, they definitely shot the ball well.

The Jags were just on cruise in the second half and some tougher D by IUPUI using big man Van Senus on Green (I remember that Green got fouled at least 3 times in the last 10 minutes and made all 6 free throws) sealed the deal. Green did not get a FG in the last part of the 2nd half. I don't really think anybody but some Big 6 conference teams could have bested the Jags last night. "The Jungle" was really humming, Byles & Cole were hitting the shots and Hill was driving past everybody with the basketball. By NO means did ORU play poorly. If IUPUI and ORU hook up in the Mid-Con championship game it will be a real barn burner if both teams play like they did last night.

If Hunter & IUPUI lose that championship game I foresee the city of Indianapolis making a bid on the Mid-Con tourney soon afterward. If Indy can do the FINAL FOUR every 5 years then I'm sure they will find a location for the Mid-Con tourney and put in a bid. The only ideal location is Butler's Hinkle Fieldhouse although because the Horizon League has home games in their conference tourney that isn't possible. Maybe the city can get Butler to switch to Conseco Fieldhouse for those Horizon League tourney games but I doubt Butler would want to help out the Mid-Con.

TD

Tulsa has 2006, 2007 & 2008 , So you have while to think about Indianapolis. You may not even have Hunter by then as a lot can change.

Guest Rob Marshall
TD

Tulsa has 2006, 2007 & 2008 , So you have while to think about Indianapolis. You may not even have Hunter by then as a lot can change.

I've always thought Indianapolis would be a nice spot for the Mid Con basketball tournament.

When we went to the IUPUI game a couple of years ago we were very impressed with the downtown area and how alive it was even after the night games. Lots to do & places to go.

If Hunter & IUPUI lose that championship game I foresee the city of Indianapolis making a bid on the Mid-Con tourney soon afterward.

As mom pointed out, the tournament is in Tulsa till 2008. And, although I've looked pretty hard for the article where I saw this and haven't been able to find it, I recently read where the Mid-Con Commissioner, Tom Douple, said that there was a good chance Tulsa would become the permanent home for the tournament.

there's only one spot that could probably beat it & that is Indy. This is a basketball city (except for 3 days, one in May one in August and one in Sept--guess what those days are). Hunter has a contract through 2009. If Hunter wanted to go somewhere else he would have been there already after the Jags last NCAA tourney appearance. I think Hunter sees his only chance of winning the tourney is getting it to Indy a city that is well well rehearsed in holding basketball tourneys. Maybe by the time Tulsa is up for renewal Indy will have a venue picked that works for the Mid-Con. Just like Kemper Arena in Kansas City wasn't a good venue I don't think Conseco Fieldhouse is a good place for the Mid-Con tourney. Outside of that you have New Castle High School (11,000) where Steve Alford (Iowa coach) played in high school, Southport HS-southside of Indy(7900) and several high schools on the northside of Indy that seat from 5000-6500. If Hunter can get the mayors office to get them a good venue Indy becomes very appealing. I stood next to the IUPUI AD at last night's game. I don't think this is far from the minds of people making decisions at IUPUI. I asked him how he he felt about the Jags having to win the tourney in Tulsa. He said he hoped someday that would change but for now it's the place that they must play.

TD, I'm a graduate of Southport High School. It's a tremendous facility to watch a high school game, and it is one of the finest in the nation.

Recently brand new scoreboards were installed that FINALLY have added tenths of a second (for years we didn't have this) and now new goals have been added.

These goals have the orange light around the backboard as time expires, and the goals feature a shot clock above the backboard in case one day the IHSAA moves to use the shot clock.

I do think that the Southport Fieldhouse could easily host a tourney such as the Mid-Con tourney, because after all, Southport was host to the Circle City Classic this December which featured some of the top high school teams in the nation.

However, I don't think we'd be able to extend the court to the necessary length that the college courts are.

Conseco Fieldhouse would be a great venue, but like Kemper, it's just too big for the Mid-Con Conference. It'd be depressing seeing all those empty seats.

Perhaps the University of Indianapolis' facity would be a good fit? I think they seat anywhere between 6000-7000 fans? I could be wrong on that, but I think their place could host it.

I don't think it'd be good for the Mid Con to continue to have the conference tourney in the same place year after year. Schools in the Mid Con just don't travel quite like schools in one of the power conferences, and having it in the hometown of a conference school year after year is a huge advantage for that school.

No school in the Mid Con ever, except possibly Valpo, could ever match the type of crowd that Oral Roberts will play in front of if the tourney is held every year at the UMAC. Mid Con schools just do not travel.

Do you think Southport has the parking for the Mid-Con tourney? I know they were parking along the street for the Circle City Classic (my church is just north of Southport HS on Shelby). I heard about Lawrence North's (Greg Oden 7 footer, the next LaBron James, is an Ohio State recruit on Lawrence North) win over Chicago's Proviso West. Those are two of the top high school teams in the country. I guess they could park in nearby parking lots and use shuttle buses to get them to the high school. There's the parking lot on Madison & Southport Rd by National City Bank.

Exactly how much distance do you need to fit the college court distance? It couldn't be that much.

And by the way, the Valpo crowd would be in Indy. They got 100 fans to come for a week night game at IUPUI. There would be plenty more for the Mid-Con tourney.

Do you think Southport has the parking for the Mid-Con tourney? I know they were parking along the street for the Circle City Classic (my church is just north of Southport HS on Shelby). I heard about Lawrence North's (Greg Oden 7 footer, the next LaBron James, is an Ohio State recruit on Lawrence North) win over Chicago's Proviso West. Those are two of the top high school teams in the country. I guess they could park in nearby parking lots and use shuttle buses to get them to the high school. There's the parking lot on Madison & Southport Rd by National City Bank.

Exactly how much distance do you need to fit the college court distance? It couldn't be that much.

I've always thought the main parking lot was too small. However, there's the back parking lot, and the side streets in the town of Homecroft that could be used. I would think with those three lots that would be more than enough to cover it.

There's also plenty of hotels and things of the nature along Southport Road by I-65 or US 31 and I-465, and both are close to the high school.

I went to the Cirlce City classic to watch the alma mater play and defeat a very talented 2A Forest Park. Forest Park won the 2A title last year and has the potential to win it again so that was a very nice win for Southport.

All in all the Indianapolis schools were perfect on the day.

Nothing like a good basketball game on a cold night in Indiana. Just ask Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson, George McGinnis, Bobby Knight, John Wooden, Shawn Kemp, Bobby Plump (the real hero of Milan High School which the movie "Hoosiers" is modeled after) and so many others.

Guest EagleBackr

Geez, guys - GET A ROOM, WILL YA?!? Wouldn't this Indiana lovefest be better suited to the IUPUI message board? I hear the theme music from "Hoosiers" playing in the background!:wink:

Nothing like a good basketball game on a cold night in Indiana. Just ask Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson, George McGinnis, Bobby Knight, John Wooden, Shawn Kemp, Bobby Plump (the real hero of Milan High School which the movie "Hoosiers" is modeled after) and so many others.

Despite the fact that Southport is not exactly having a successful season, I've still gone to most of the games this season.

And you and I know what's coming in Indiana.......sectionals......which means every team is now 0-0 an anything is possible!

The sad thing is though the past two years I've missed some of sectional action due to the Mid Con tourney.

Geez, guys - GET A ROOM, WILL YA?!? Wouldn't this Indiana lovefest be better suited to the IUPUI message board? I hear the theme music from "Hoosiers" playing in the background!:wink:

haha, if only there were such a thing.

I believe one of the Valpo fans here posted, or currently still posts on Hickory Husker on the Rivals network.....which is a website I'm always on. :wink: