Homecoming Event Updates

vcboy2000

For those of us that couldn't make it out to the Chapel today, would anyone like to share some of what went on. Saw a lot of students tweeting that they were proud to be students at ORU.

I was able to go today. It was very good. They showed the video of Oral's life - the one that was shown at the memorial service. Then Jimmy Buskirk spoke. I always love his stories. He told some stories about Oral and some about Mark Rutland (I didn't realize that they have been friends for years). It was a good time for bringing the old and the new together. There were quite a few alumni in attendance.

The best thing about the chapel, I think, was the video message from OR that they showed at the end. He said he was 90 at the time, so it must have been filmed in 2008. It was a message to students, faculty and staff. He talked about "when I go to heaven..." It made me cry! The video should be up on the Web in the near future, I would imagine. At the beginning of the service, we all sang, "Something Good Is Going to Happen to You."

Wow! Sounds like it was an amazing service. I look forward to seeing the replay when they post it online. If anyone goes to the Q&A I'd be interested in hearing about what are on President Rutland's priority list

I have been at Homecoming events the last few days (via the Alumni Board) and can tell you ORU is moving in the right direction. They are working at slaying the four dragons (Debt -which is paid off, Declining Enrollment - which increased in 2009-10 and appears to be headed for another increased based on inquiries/applications, Deferred Maintenance - $20 million has been spent so far and the Greens have given another $10 million (!!) to be spent this summer, and Deficit Spending. This is the dragon that controls the others. The administration is determined that this dragon will be slain. They are attacking it through increased efforts at fund raising (enrollment and Whole Person Scholarship drive) as well as budget cuts.

Dr. Rutland was asked about the school's commitment towards Division 1 athletics and he said that ORU would continue to field Division 1 teams - we just need to be cost conscience and review how it is done. He seems to be aware of how athletics is the 'front porch' of the university. He attends all of the games and is very involved (cheering). Last night at the banquet, Dr. Rutland mentioned the game on Thursday and said (in jest) that we 'started off slow and tapered off from there." He also said that the officials did not help matters - and while he would not pray curses down on them, he would not be praying for them either.... they were on their own.

Thanks for the updates, Guys! My schedule during the day keeps me from being able to make these events. I'll be at the game tonight though. I wonder if any more layoff are apart of the plan for slaying that dragon of deficit spending.

Thanks for the updates, Guys! My schedule during the day keeps me from being able to make these events. I'll be at the game tonight though. I wonder if any more layoff are apart of the plan for slaying that dragon of deficit spending.

I'm sure they're trying to avoid that, but I imagine that that option is on the table. I was glad to read that Dr. Rutland said we would remain D-I, although the response I got to that question, point blank, from one of the trustees last week was, we'll probably stay D-I, but "we've got to get spending under control somehow." That wasn't particularly comforting.

More cuts are sure to come. Dr. Rutland even used the word "draconian" in more than one talk that I heard. He said ORU has a history of deficit spending and he is very serious about eliminating the deficit in the next 1-2 years.

Let's go for it...ORU needs the best recruits that money can buy.... :P:P

The best announcement I heard over the weekend is that $10 million will be used to update the campus this summer. This will be the third straight summer with $10 million worth of improvements. That just blows my mind.

It was indicated that this 3rd $10 million installment will result in the most identifiable changes on campus. A lot of the first $20 million was used in repairs like rewiring, interior paint, new HVAC systems, interior sprinkler systems, etc.

Great news, MM....maybe some of that $10 Mill can be used to help get the Maniacs back at the games....my negotiations on their behalf will start to heat up soon..... ;)

It was indicated that this 3rd $10 million installment will result in the most identifiable changes on campus. A lot of the first $20 million was used in repairs like rewiring, interior paint, new HVAC systems, interior sprinkler systems, etc.

That is really great news!!! I look forward to hearing about where the money will be spent. Now, more than ever before, is the time to give to ORU. There is no doubt that your investment will be managed with the utmost discretion and transparency. The level of stability that this administration is bringing is sure to make it come back in nice dividends as well! ORU's stock is going through the roof! BUY BUY BUY!!!!!!!