College Baseball 360: Summit Preview 2010

Dr. Cornelius

http://collegebaseball360.com/2010/01/1 ... l-preview/

To say that Oral Roberts has dominated the Summit League would be an insult to the word understatement. The Golden Eagles not only run roughshod through the postseason by winning 12 straight Summit (formerly the Mid-Continent) League titles...

Sean Stires doesn't really know the Summit League if he's selecting two northern tier players for POY honors. Additionally, he doesn't know the players that we have recruited that will take us to another level. It's possible that we may not get a POY Pitcher this year, but we will have a POY and Newcomer of the Year for sure. If POY Pitcher is based on games played against Summit League teams, then we will have at least one pitcher that should dominate that as well. Not trying to sound arrogant about it, but ORU is in a position to play at a much higher level than its League brethern.

So, will Furmanek remain the starter behind the plate, or move to another position to make room for Bennett Pickar? You can never have too many catchers, but I'm wondering who the every-day starter will likely be. I know that Bennett is touted to be "the real deal".

So, will Furmanek remain the starter behind the plate, or move to another position to make room for Bennett Pickar? You can never have too many catchers, but I'm wondering who the every-day starter will likely be. I know that Bennett is touted to be "the real deal".

I think that the thought is that Seth will become our "Dennis Bigley". He moves to the DH spot in the lineup and will be tried at Pitcher and 1B. We need his bat in the lineup, but we have better catchers now to work behind the plate - starting with Bennett, Jason Barth, and Brett Burch. That's not an indictment on Seth as a catcher as much as it is an improvement in the talent behind the plate.

Sean Stires doesn't really know the Summit League if he's selecting two northern tier players for POY honors. Additionally, he doesn't know the players that we have recruited that will take us to another level. It's possible that we may not get a POY Pitcher this year, but we will have a POY and Newcomer of the Year for sure. If POY Pitcher is based on games played against Summit League teams, then we will have at least one pitcher that should dominate that as well. Not trying to sound arrogant about it, but ORU is in a position to play at a much higher level than its League brethern.

Stires' main gig is as a college football writer, working out of South Bend, IN and covering Notre Dame for the past 10 years.

I think his POY picks of two players from an NDSU team that won only 16 games last year and plays it's first 26 games of 2010 on the road is bizarre - they simply won't have the stats at the end of the year to warrant the honors.

I think that the thought is that Seth will become our "Dennis Bigley". He moves to the DH spot in the lineup and will be tried at Pitcher and 1B. We need his bat in the lineup, but we have better catchers now to work behind the plate - starting with Bennett, Jason Barth, and Brett Burch. That's not an indictment on Seth as a catcher as much as it is an improvement in the talent behind the plate.

Furmanek a surprise catch for Oral Roberts

By Barrett Neale

CollegeBaseballInsider.com

(excerpt)

Walton said Furmanek might get some breaks from catching this season and have the opportunity to pitch again, either as a starter or a reliever. At Chandler-Gilbert in 2007, Furmanek had a 4.54 ERA, earning a 2-2 record in 32.1 innings and striking out 23 batters.

“He’s kind of a mid- to upper-80s guy on the mound,” Walton said. “He’ll see some time as a DH, and there’ll be an opportunity to catch so he’ll end up really helping us in three areas – DH, on the mound and behind the plate.”

http://www.collegebaseballinsider.com/1 ... manek.html

CBI Summit Preview:

http://www.collegebaseballinsider.com/1 ... eview.html