Mayor's Cup: Let's play two - Tulsa World (1-23-10)

ORUTerry

He is right in that Tulsa did win this year and that is all that really matters. However i do like that the ORU coaches did not make any excuses about the game other than they should have played better in the 2nd half.

I wonder what type of team they would be and what their record would be if they lost their top 2 point guards and were playing with 6 healthy scholarship players? Doesn't really matter i guess.

Doug W. just wants to make the tourney one time so that he can take the best available job and i don't think most people at TU would be upset about that at all.

They would switch coaching staffs in a heartbeat with ORU. At least their fans would get to see some better teams on their schedule.

If he in fact does take another job after this year (Arkansas?), you have to give Wojcik credit for leaving the program better off than he found it.

I hope he stays - I worry about TU bringing in another young Bill Self or Tubby Smith, and really taking off. I feel more than comfortable with him at the helm, if we have to recruit and play against them every year.

But, he sure is a complicated guy: there are people in both the college basketball ranks and in the media who know him pretty well, and you'll find them all firmly entrenched at either end of the "like/dislike" spectrum - not much middle ground. And the TU fan base seems equally polarized.

My own personal dealings with him, though very limited, have been pleasant. But I must admit I do wonder about the whole "my team did this and that", "I've never won at Mabee Center", "My fans know how I feel about that", etc.*

Isn't it the University of Tulsa's team? :doh:

*Actual quotes I heard him make this past week in radio interviews.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Titan

• theeagleman5

• ORUTerry

• oruvoice

The fans at Arkansas would eat him alive. That would be a very bad spot for him in my opinion.

I do think Tulsa is a good job but i don't think he sees it that way and would gladly leave.

"scoreboard" = "no viable rebuttal".

Just finished reading the TU message board free-for-all regarding the Rice game, which resembled jackals and vultures fighting over a carcass, and the audio from Doug Wojcik's post-game meltdown on the KRMG.com website, where he takes his frustrations out on an unsuspecting Bruce Howard and Rick Couri just trying to do their jobs. Epic kick-the-dog fail.

For crying out loud, what are you guys like to each other when you lose?

Quite possibly the most dysfunctional and miserable 16-3 college basketball team in America. :|

Link to Wojcik interview, OT?

Link to Wojcik interview, OT?

KRMG Sports with Rick Couri

Click on the blue hyperlink that says "Listen here as Doug Wojcik talks", just to the right of the photo in the body of the story.

You know, I've heard Scott Sutton when he's mad at his players, and you can tell, but he never says sarcastic stuff like, "I'm upset with my 'star' player, Jerome Jordan", etc...

I think the teams should probably stick to just one meeting per year and I think later in the year is probably best. I understand why Woj wants it on TV next year and hopefully the administration goes to the lengths necessary to create an atmosphere that reflects the rivalry because it's going to be tough to draw well in November as last year's game showed. For the life of me, I can't figure out why each fanbase seems so reluctant to drive 10 minutes across town to attend the game every other year.

As for the importance of the game, I think it's probably 50/50 between both teams. This year Tulsa viewed it as a must-win game to keep some slim at-large hopes alive, but I'm not sure anyone placed significantly more importance on the game than say winning against Colorado or at SMU. If you lose one of those games, it's a "bad loss" in the eyes of those who matter. OSU was easily the game that was circled on TU's schedule this year along with Memphis and ORU had Missouri and New Mexico circled so neither team really saw it as the marquee game on their schedule.

As for the Woj-bashing, I wouldn't trade him for Sutton and you don't have to trade your coach for ours. I didn't think he was out of line the other night and I think the team's performance had little to do with an "ORU hangover". The late arrivals to that morning's team breakfast set the tone for a day that didn't go well and I'm glad the coach called some of his guys to task for that along with lackluster play against an inferior team. Hopefully they respond because we've got a big game tomorrow. And as for dysfunction, I seem to recall a thread on here about "white refs" having it out for ORU so I think each fanbase has its own "dysfunctional" fans. Some of them just manifest their quirks in different ways is all.

And as for dysfunction, I seem to recall a thread on here about "white refs" having it out for ORU so I think each fanbase has its own "dysfunctional" fans. Some of them just manifest their quirks in different ways is all.

And your thread was going so well until that little blurb!

Never said "white refs have it out for ORU".

I just said that, when playing in the Dakotas, where it can feel like the only non-white faces in the building are wearing a visitor's uniform, it would just be nice to occasionally see a non-white referee, if just for appearances sake.

That's not "dysfunctional".

It's apparently just "inflammatory." :x

I would argue that both groups are just inflammatory, but to be fair you did throw out "dysfunctional" first.

I've got my own dysfunction, but most of it centers around spending too much time with the RPI.

It is not a bad loss for ORU. It is considered a bad loss for TU by the fans and coach.

Pretty level playing field right now for both teams even if Tulsa won't admit it.

I do think ORU fans give Scott more rope than Woj has there; however that could be due to him leading the team to 3 NCAA bids.

Geez....TheEagleman just listened to the post game interview with Wojcik....what a tool......throwing players under the bus like that....even if the kid had a bad game, he's still a student/athlete not a professional.....I have also seen Sutton when he's not happy but he doesn't act like that....TU players must really love this guy....they are probably praying he goes to Arkansas..... |(

I've got my own dysfunction, but most of it centers around spending too much time with the RPI.

For those who haven't seen it, ctt8410 does an almost daily post on the TU message board, detailing which TU opponents are in action that night, who they're playing, the spread, and their RPI's, with a synopsis of where TU stands overall in terms of RPI, their opponents' records, etc. - it's pretty awesome.

By the way....see what happens when TU and Wojcik (tool) go on the road and face some decent competition like tonight at UAB?.....they lose.....the Hurricane battled back valiantly in the 2nd half against the #25 ranked team but came up a little short, 65-55....what a shame... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Doug Wojcik had another bad day yesterday. Here's the post-game interview after the UTEP game last night:

Interview

Rick Couri needs to wear body armor when he ventures into the locker room after the games! "They were trapping the ball. Did you guys report that???"

TheEagleman watched some of the 2nd half of TU-UTEP....too bad TU lost.... :P

Doug Wojcik had another bad day yesterday. Here's the post-game interview after the UTEP game last night:

Interview

Rick Couri needs to wear body armor when he ventures into the locker room after the games! "They were trapping the ball. Did you guys report that???"

Yeah, you can hear the exasperation in his voice: he knows if TU doesn't make the NCAA tournament by winning the C-USA championship in Tulsa in a few weeks, he's stuck for at least another year in a job he had no intention of keeping this long.

Rumor has it his representation has already made inquiries into the opening at DePaul, but the Blue Demons are reportedly wanting alum Rod Strickland, or Southern Illinois' Chris Lowery. Wojcik has looked into several coaching jobs over the last three seasons, but with no luck.

He sure doesn't seem to be having much fun this year, a season that was supposed to be a breakout year for him and the program. Still, I would make TU the odds-on favorite to win the C-USA tournament, since it's here at the BOK. They're pretty tough in front of their own fans, just not very good at all on the road.

OK. I'll give you Tulsa and I'll take the field. How much?

I never said TU was a lock - I said they would be the "odds-on favorite".

There are four teams that could win that tournament, if they got hot: UAB, Tulsa, UTEP and Memphis, with Marshall and even SMU good enough to play the spoiler role on a given night.

If you want to take Memphis, with me taking Tulsa (as far as who advances the farthest in the tournament), for a BBQ lunch at the winner's choice of local joints, you're on...

OK. Deal.

Although, I could see a scenario where both teams lose in the semifinals....and what a DISASTER for TU (now to be known as NITU) and the city of Tulsa, to have UTEP vs. UAB in the finals, with 2,000 fans in the BOK Center.

Even with a TU-Memphis final (dream match-up for the conference), do they sell it out? Do they get over 10,000?

Just suffered through Wojcik's weekly interview with Al Jerkins and Chris Lincoln on "The Sports Animal"

Coach could best be described as "prickly".

Personally, I would define his attitude as "abusive".

You could tell his aggresive behavior was really getting under Al's skin - Lincoln tried to play referee, but it got pretty awkward.

Jerkins was defending his position that the NCAA tournament should stick with 64/65 teams; Wojcik was adamant that it should go to 96 teams, using Northwestern of the Big 10 (???) as an example of the sort of team that could/should get in, if the format was changed.

When Jerkins (to his credit) refused to back down, Wojcik's final word on the matter was, "Look, all I know is that Mike Krzyzewski at Duke and Bobby Knight think they should expand it, and they know more about basketball than you or me, so that's good enough for me."

Ooooh-kay... :x