Eddie Sutton - please pray

orumom

ABC just reported Eddie Sutton was in a serious accident on the way to the airport.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmh8286

• casualobserver

• MrsSmith

• orumom

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott just got the call. He was at Steak & Shake having dinner with our team. Please pray & notify your prayer chains. Jack Bunds didn't sound hopeful.

Guest EagleBackr

...Craig Day of KOTV reporting that Coach Eddie Sutton was involved in a one-car accident in Stillwater. Stillwater medical officials reporting that Coach Sutton suffered "a head injury" but described his condition as "good". Let's hope this is not as dire as that idiot Jack Bunds at KTUL made it sound about an hour ago....

Huge called to say Scott told them that the media is wrong. (8 just had a trailer that Eddie Sutton was in a serious accident) We understand he is getting stitches and will be ok. Thank God.

Guest EagleBackr

...Fox 23 just reported in a bottom-of-the-screen crawl that Coach Sutton underwent a CAT scan at the hospital that turned out negative, and that he has already been released! Incredibly wonderful news in light of the sensationalism of the early reports. No word on whether he will still make the trip to College Station, or whether Jack Bunds at Channel 8 still has a job...

I heard that Jack Bunds was on his way to College Station to fill in for Coach Sutton...

Guest EagleBackr

Fox-23 reporting on their 9 o'clock newscast that Eddie Sutton is in fact still in the hospital, in "good" condition. This in contrast to their earlier report that he had already been released from the hospital. Can't anyone get this story straight? I guess the one great thing that everyone can agree on is that Coach Sutton's injuries are not life-threatening...

Guest EagleBackr

Ruben Diaz, reporting live from Stillwater at 10:22 p.m. for Channel 8:

"Well, it's been an exciting night - a fun-filled night, in a weird kind of way..."

Fun-filled?!? Yeah, I'm sure the Sutton family and college basketball fans all across Green Country thought his and Jack Bunds sorry excuse for reporting in the early hours of this story were just a laugh-riot! Do these clowns have any sense of decency or professionalism?!?

I was at a high school basketbal game and a friend of mine said that his niece had just called him. She had said that Eddie Sutton had been killed in a car accident!!! My first thought was, this is unbelievable - I was at another basketball game a few years back when someone told me that an OSU plane had gone down and several had been killed.

Back to tonight - I made some phone calls, but nobody I called knew anything about that accident. By the time I got back to the gym, several people said they heard that Eddie was alive, but brain dead. Where did all of that come from? Gradually info started trickling in that he'd been injured but not killed, then I got a call back from one of my friends saying that Eddie had a cut over his eye, but tests didn't reveal any other injury, and that he'd been treated and relased.

Boy, that place place was abuzz with all sorts of bad information.

I am so thankful that those early rumors were so FAR off, for the sake of all of the Sutton family, and especially Scott. It's a wonderful thing!

From Go-pokes.com:

Eddie Sutton Injured In Auto Accident

By GoPokes.com staff

Date: Feb 10, 2006

Oklahoma State head basketball coach Eddie Sutton remains in the Stillwater hospital with a non-life threatening head injury after an automobile accident Friday night, OSU officials said. Sutton is expected to be held overnight and released Saturday.

The 69-year-old Sutton is just "banged up a little bit," said Gary Shutt, director of communications at OSU, during a news conference at 9:30 p.m. (Central time).

The Cowboy head coach suffered a cut above his eye and was semiconscious when emergency workers cared for the Cowboy coach, who was driving one of the two vehicles involved in the two-car accident. A call for a helicopter to transport him to the hospital was initially made, but was cancelled. Sutton, who will turn 70 on March 12, was then transported to Stillwater Medical Center.

Sutton was en route to the Stillwater airport to meet the team for the flight to College Station, Texas, for Saturday's game against Texas A&M when the accident occurred. The accident happened on the north side of Stillwater at Washington Street and Lakeshore Drive, next to Boomer Lake Park and the airport. Police reports state that Sutton was driving north on Washington in a sport utility vehicle when he veered left of the centerline, and when he steered back onto his side of the street he hit another SUV from behind as he was traveling about 60 mph. Sutton's SUV then left the road and struck a tree, the police report states.

Sean Sutton, Sutton's son, and the rest of the Cowboy basketball contingent flew to College Station after learning that Eddie Sutton was not seriously hurt. Sean Sutton, who will take over when his dad retires, will be head coach for Saturday's game with assistants James Dickey and Jimmy Williams at his side. Eddie Sutton will watch the game on television from his Stillwater home.

30 years ago a friend's husband was driving a petroleum transport & was hit by a train. When he died she wanted to get home to be the one to tell their 3 children. They heard it on their front porch from a policeman, just before it came on the 10 o-clock news.

It appears some things haven't changed The media still cares more about sensationalism than people & facts.

I don't know if it's right or not to post the latest story that came out today about Eddie's crash but just wanted to say I'm praying that the situation works out for the best and for peace to surround the Sutton household.

I don't want Eddie Sutton to go out like this. I think that Sean will do a great job when he takes over the OSU program, but man would I love to see one more season with Eddie Sutton scowling on the sideline. I understand that he might have to retire for health reasons, but he is one person who belongs on a basketball court.

We probably don't need to post an article to the board - anyone interested in the most recent developments in this story can find them here:

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasket ... ry/9230620

As has already been said, let's continue to pray for and support the Sutton family at this difficult time for their family.

Guest EagleBackr

...the more I contemplate the events of the last few days, the more I am saddened by them. Part of that sadness is the TOTALLY irresponsible reporting that continues even today. The man deserves better than this continually shabby, shoot-from-the-hip media speculation. Coach Sutton is a giant in college basketball - here's hoping that the final analysis will provide him and his family with an appropriate level of vindication...

This is a more comprehensive story:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2329109

I wish there were some things that could be kept quiet in today's society. Do we all really need to know everything? I don't like the headlines - DUI for most of us implies alcohol. I doubt that was the case.

Let's all pray for a quick and good resolution.

Good points, MrsSmith. First thing this morning, around 6:30, and before these stories came out, I heard Joe Riddle on KRMG, and he was ADAMANT that alcohol was not involved. Joe is very close to the OSU basketball program and would have known if alcohol was involved, I would think.

But the insinuation by the first article, as well as one available on the Tulsa World website, is that it was alcohol. I hope and pray that that was not the case.

It all goes back to what EagleBackr said: irresponsible reporting and Eddie deserving better.