Attendance Committee

MrJones

Over the past 12 years or so that I have been a booster for the women's basketball team I sit and watch the media/marketing department promote men's basektball far more than womens basketball. For those of you who know and go to the mens basketball games as well there are probably 2 to 3 thousand more people that show up for the mens games.

I have taken it upon myself to do my best to change this. We have a team this year that leads or is at the top of every offensive statistical category in the nation and for some reason we can't seem to get more than 500 people in the seats, uncalled for if you ask me.

If you have been to a womens game you see at halftime they do a shooting contest for free wendy's burgers, at the guys games they do a halftime contest for a free car?????? A little bit more incentive if you ask me. I sent an email to the athletic department this week and told them that I want to sponsor a halftime event to give away a free car, I told them that I would front all the money to get the contest done and have yet to hear back from anyone regarding this as well. I offered to give away a 2010 mustang if there was a winner of the contest!!!

I am looking for some individuals, students, parents, boosters, faculty or anyone who is a fan to form a committee and figure out a way to get people in the stands for the remaining girls games this year, these girls have worked hard this year and I think it is time that they get some good fan support in return.

If you are interested in helping me with this you can contact me by email, Holtontulsa@aol.com and we will get a time and place setup to figure out a way to fill the seats.

God Bless,

Jeff Jones

Wouldn't it be better for attendence if they played the women's games right before the men's game as a doubleheader?....seems like 2 games for the price of one might put a few more fannies in the seats....start the women's game at 5:30 and the men at 7:45.....

The athletic department is so greedy, if they do that then they dont get to charge people 2x, once for each game! I wish they would do something, I mean the womens team has won more conf. championships and benn to more NCAA tourneys than then men have in the past 12 years I think...... Stupid if you ask me

How much $$$ can we be talking about here?....the womens games barely attract 1000 and men's 3500 or so....seems to TheEagleman that playing a doubleheader is going to be advantageous for both teams....some people would come early to watch the women and some would stay later to watch the men...they would still get about the same attendence overall...just likely to get more people for both games....I can't believe there would be much money lost at all....and fans would get 2 games for the price of one...i still believe the usual 4500 would show up.... :^)

I believe I've heard that it is up to Jerry and his staff when they want to play their game.

The attendance this year has been better than in the past. Give it a chance to build.

The cost to get in to a women's game is low so I don't believe attendance would be any higher if the game was at 5:00 - it may even be lower.

Also, I don't think that the athletic dept is greedy - they are just trying to run a business the best way possible!!

Wouldn't it be better for attendence if they played the women's games right before the men's game as a doubleheader?....seems like 2 games for the price of one might put a few more fannies in the seats....start the women's game at 5:30 and the men at 7:45.....

This issue was raised with Scott Higgins a couple of weeks ago at a pre-game meal of the Golden Eagle Club. He indicated that the "doubleheader" concept that we used to enjoy, was changed at the direction of Coach Fink. Fink is of the stong opinion that he wanted the girls program to stand on its own, and apparently feels that it diminishes the high quality of basketball that the girls play, if they are scheduled directly before the boys game. (It would be viewed by the fans similar to a JV game.)

The athletic department is so greedy, if they do that then they dont get to charge people 2x, once for each game! I wish they would do something, I mean the womens team has won more conf. championships and benn to more NCAA tourneys than then men have in the past 12 years I think...... Stupid if you ask me

While I appreciate your passion for the women's program, I frankly think that accusing the Athletic Department of being "greedy" and "stupid" is way out of line.

Coach Finkbeiner is, in fact, the one who wanted to move the games to mid-afternoon on Saturday's, same as most of the other league schools. And rightly so - the girls deserve to have their own stage.

Sponsors many times dictate how much they want to spend on particular promotions for men's and women's basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer, etc. It would be wonderful to have more sponsors willing or able to provide bigger and better prizes as a draw for the women's game - if anyone knows of some, I'm sure the Athletic Department would appreciate knowing who they are.

We're very fortunate to have Jerry Finkbeiner, his staff, and the girls on the team - their success is a testament to commitment and hard work. Attendance at women's games, in times both good and bad, on and off the court, has been a source of much debate and attention for years in the ORU Athletic Department, and is not one easily solved, especially not in a message board forum.

Yes, Mr. Higgins I sure do. I am please to announce that we will be moving forward, with the help of the Athletic Department on doing some promotions geared towards womens basketball! So far Mr. Higgins has been great to work with and I am really excited to see what else we can do in the future to help promote women's basketball. Kudos to the Media/Marketing department for their recent help.

Thanks Scott

Jeff Jones

Lets get one thing straight here, I am not the one who suggested we put the womens games right before the mens games!!!!!!!!! I suggested we figure out a way to put people in the seats. So please direct your comments regarding that towards theeagleman

I am not saying that I am the answer to the problem here. I am saying that I, as a donor to womens basketball and a friend of Fink's for over 20 years am willing to put my own money on the line to try and sponsor some events to promote womens basketball more. I fell by donating my money this way, I am in control of where it goes and how it is used! I am not at all saying the athletic department would misapropriate the funds at all, I am simply saying that if I can spends x amount of money for a promotion that brings in x amount of dollars then hopefully I have been able to provide more of a donation. If we get more people to come to a game due to a promotion that I am funding and they have a great time watching the women play, then hopefully they will come back and spend even more money in the future. I think by doing promotions to get fans in the doors it will help build a better fan base and as we all know the bigger the fan base the more money that will be spent in the arena during any given game!