Quin Snyder Resigns

orumom

Posted on Fri, Feb. 10, 2006

Embattled Missouri coach Quin Snyder resigns

ALAN SCHER ZAGIERAssociated PressCOLUMBIA, Mo.

- One day after saying he planned to finish the season, Missouri coach Quin Snyder resigned Friday, ending a seven-year stint that began with high hopes but ended in disappointment.

Men's basketball sports information director Dave Reiter said Snyder announced the move to his team about 2 p.m. CST, before practice.

Associate head coach Melvin Watkins will coach Missouri (10-11) the remainder of the season, starting with a home game Sunday against Kansas State.

"What he told us is, it's an opportunity to get back to playing basketball. All the speculation was a heavy burden," Reiter said.

Expectations were low for this season's team after Missouri went 16-17 last season and a 32-point neutral-court loss to Illinois dropped the record to 4-4. Missouri won six of its next seven, culminating with a nationally televised overtime win over archrival Kansas, but since then has lost six straight and fallen to 3-7 - and next-to-last - in the Big 12.

All six of those losses have been by double digits.

Still, Snyder told reporters before practice Thursday he had not been asked to resign and didn't plan to.

"I'm coaching my team, so I'm going to keep doing that until someone tells me not to, keep working as hard as I can," Snyder said at the time.

Snyder, who played at Duke and was an assistant to coach Mike Krzyzewski, was hired to replace the retiring Norm Stewart and take Missouri to national prominence. He had 20-win teams and NCAA bids in three of his first four seasons, including an appearance in the Elite Eight.

But the once-proud program is 42-42 since then and attendance has plummeted despite a new arena that opened last season.

The program has also been marred by scandal. In 2004, it was placed on NCAA probation for three years after more than a year of scrutiny focused on questionable activities surrounding former point guard Ricky Clemons. The school avoided a ban from postseason play but was prohibited from off-campus recruiting for one year.

Overall, Snyder was 126-91 at Missouri.

Watkins is in his second season with Missouri after six seasons as head coach at Texas A&M. Watkins, whose son Marcus Watkins is a reserve for the Tigers, also coached Charlotte to a 42-20 record from 1996-98, during which he had two NCAA tournament appearances.

Curiously, both Watkins and Snyder spoke to reporters about the team's struggles Thursday. It was believed that Snyder would miss practice with flu-like symptoms when Watkins met first with media.

"When you're in the coaching profession you know how some of these things can go," Watkins said Thursday. "I've been there."

Quin Snyder (born October 30, 1966 in Mercer Island, Washington, United States) became the head men's basketball coach at the University of Missouri in 1999 after being an associate head coach at Duke University. He played for the Duke Blue Devils for three years and saw his team to the Final Four in 1986, 1988, and 1989. He graduated from Duke in 1989 and later received a J.D. from Duke Law School in 1995 and an M.B.A. from Duke's Fuqua School of Business in 1995. On February 10, 2006, ESPN reported that Snyder resigned from his position at the University of Missouri.

He is the son-in-law of Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown. He has a son, Owen, born Dec 25, 2002

Guest EagleBackr

Dana Altman at Creighton rumored as one of the candidates for the Missouri job. If he gets it, do the Blue Jays contemplate hiring another "Sutton" as head coach? Eddie led them to a couple of NCAA appearances (including one in the Mabee Center in 1974) before going to Arkansas...

Guest Rob Marshall

If that does happen, what are your thoughts about going after the charismatic Ron Hunter, or do we keep the Self/Hinson coaching tree going and promote from within with Tom Hankins?

He's the most exciting coach in basketball - just ask him! From his bio:

"The nation's most exciting head coach, Ron Hunter, returns to the IUPUI bench for his eleventh season in 2004-05. Hunter, widely known for his demonstrative sideline antics and fiercely competitive nature, has taken the IUPUI basketball program to an entirely new level over the past few seasons . . . Over the past two years, Hunter has become one of the hottest coaching commodities in the nation after guiding the Jaguars to their first NCAA Tournament berth in 2002-03 and leading them to their second straight 20-win season in 2003-04 . . ."

But, alas, there's little hope for ORU snagging this guy:

"In the summer of 2003, Hunter inked a lucrative contract extension that should keep him at the helm of the Jaguars through the 2009-10 season. He has turned down numerous offers from across the country to keep his family stationed in Indianapolis."

If you've got about thirty minutes or so, you can read his entire bio here:

http://www.iupuijags.com/Staff/Coaching/hunterbio.html

Clearly, the writer of that bio views Hunter a bit differently than the rest of us around the Mid-Con.

If that does happen, what are your thoughts about going after the charismatic Ron Hunter, or do we keep the Self/Hinson coaching tree going and promote from within with Tom Hankins?

All I know is that if we don't offer Williams it would be a HUUUUGE mistake. You don't let guys like that get away.

Hankins is X's & O's & a recruiter. Williams is a recruiter. There is a big difference in who you want for the head coach & I would say Hankins.

BUT, at this point we just need to think about IUPUI & the season. Coach Sutton hasn:t showed a desire to move his family from Oklahoma.

Guest Rob Marshall
Dana Altman at Creighton rumored as one of the candidates for the Missouri job. If he gets it, do the Blue Jays contemplate hiring another "Sutton" as head coach? Eddie led them to a couple of NCAA appearances (including one in the Mabee Center in 1974) before going to Arkansas...

In an attempt to participate in the game of "my scoop's better than your scoop," my very reliable sources tell me Steve Alford will leave the hot box he's found himself in at Iowa for better money and less pressure at Mizzou. And yes, please remember you read it here first when it happens. Oh, and UNI's Greg McDermott is the fav to replace Alford in Iowa City. If you think Scott Sutton has little interest in Omaha, he definitely won't sniff at an opportunity in Cedar Falls. :wink:

Guest Rob Marshall
TV guys said that UAB's Mike Anderson is a top runner as a replacement.

TV guys = Weathermen (and Weatherwomen) :lol:

Trust me, Steve Alford.

Guest Rob Marshall
...since when did Greg Swaim start posting on this board? :wink:

Greg Swaim's been known to know more about less than most people ever dream of fantasizing that they could possibly imagine the things he knows about. :wink:

Steve Alford is a lock for Columbia ... plus he has plenty of black and gold options already in his game day sideline wardrobe.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rob Marshall

In an attempt to participate in the game of "my scoop's better than your scoop," my very reliable sources tell me Steve Alford will leave the hot box he's found himself in at Iowa for better money and less pressure at Mizzou. And yes, please remember you read it here first when it happens. Oh, and UNI's Greg McDermott is the fav to replace Alford in Iowa City. If you think Scott Sutton has little interest in Omaha, he definitely won't sniff at an opportunity in Cedar Falls. :wink:

Given that Steve's in Columbia today to talk with Mizzou about their opening, I couldn't resist the opportunity to bump this thread to the top of the board. :wink:

With McDermott already taking the Iowa State job, it will be interesting to see if Dana Altman will consider taking over for Alford in Iowa City. If so, look out below!!! It could translate into Scott Sutton to Omaha where D-I coaching tree all began for the Sutton family. 8)

Maybe I'm wrong here but my guess is that Scott stays one more year. He has the chance to coach an All American in his senior year, which could turn out to be a big year all around. We already have some national exposure which could get a LOT bigger. His stock will go up big time when we beat a 3 seed next year in the first round. Offseason coaching changes always happen so it's not like there will be a job he can't pass up this year.

The Dana Altman move from Creighton would alert me more than anything about losing Sutton but I believe JoeyO is right that it would make more sense for Sutton to stay at ORU at least one more year. If Arkansas opens then I believe Coach would have to look very hard at that gig. Saying that, the job seems safe for now at Arkansas. Barry might look to move if offered a change while on top at MO State. He has gotten alot of heartache over the past few years and I believe Coach Sutton would have to look at Mo Valley with their rise in the basketball arena if any opening becomes available. Just my take. 8)

Guest Rob Marshall

Trust me here is all I'm saying ...

IF you read Alford's words, he clearly did NOT say he would NOT take the Mizzou job if offered. Sounded a lot like Bill Self (and every other smart coach) who is "flattered" by the "attention" the success (of his current team) is drawing toward him. Quite simply, Steve said he didn't have any "official" interviews set up with any other universities (true) and that he and his family were happy at Iowa (maybe not so true, but very true if he's not offered another job somewhere else darn right he's happy in Iowa - bird in hand is better than two in the bush). Mizzou's AD has asked for and was granted permission to talk to Alford and "negotiations" have begun between Steve's agent and Mizzou. Will they come to an "agreement"? To be determined within the next week. Stay tuned.

Huggins to Kansas State?

That is what Sportsline is reporting Wednesday evening.