ORU pounds Oakland with 3-point shots

tmh8286

ORU pounds Oakland with 3-point shots

By Staff Reports

2/10/2006

Led by Chris Riouse's 10 treys, the Eagles hit 18 shots behind the arc.

ROCHESTER, Mich. -- Oral Roberts University hadn't shot the ball like this all season.

Scott Sutton couldn't remember anything like it in his seven years as head coach.

Chris Riouse made a school-record 10 3-pointers and the Golden Eagles had 18 treys as a team, racing to a 90-53 Mid-Continent Conference win over Oakland (Mich.) Thursday night.

ORU (15-9, 10-2) extended its season-best winning streak to five games and set up Saturday's first-place showdown at Indiana-Purdue. The Jaguars beat Valparaiso, 75-67, to maintain their one-game lead over the Eagles.

Riouse scored a career-high 32 points and broke the school's previous Division I record of nine 3-pointers in a game, set by Eric Perry in 2000 and tied by Markius Barnes in 2002.

He made four 3-pointers in the first half, pacing the Eagles to a 40-18 halftime lead, and six in the second when ORU led by as many as 38 points.

His previous collegiate high was seven against Oakland last year, and he recalled hitting eight during his Broken Arrow High career. It came in the Tournament of Champions at ORU's Mabee Center.

"I just kept shooting. I didn't

even know I was close to eight (3-pointers). I was in a zone, so I kept firing away," Riouse said in a post-game radio interview.

Larry Owens had four treys among his 20 points and Moses Ehambe had three treys among his 12 points. Riouse, Owens and Ehambe were a combined 17-of-26 from beyond the arc.

ORU's 18 3-pointers as a team tied the school's Division I record. The previous high this season was nine.

"That was fun to watch," Sutton said. "Obviously, when you shoot the ball that well, good things are going to happen."

Sutton was also pleased with the Eagles' defense, which held a fifth straight foe under 60 points. The Grizzlies shot only 37 percent from the field. It didn't help their cause that Calvin Wooten drew four first-half fouls and played only 25 minutes while scoring a team-high 12 points.

Oakland had only four more field goals (22) than ORU had 3-pointers.

ORU again received a huge bounty from the bench. Eagle reserves accounted for 53 points. They've scored 176 in the past five games.

Freshman forward Marchello Vealy, the only ORU player not to score, had eight rebounds, three blocked shots, three assists and one steal in 26 minutes.

"He didn't score, but he was so active. He continues to grow up and play better and better," Sutton said.

Oakland's zone surrounded ORU's big men, making it difficult for the Eagles to get the ball inside. Caleb Green (10 points, eight rebounds) had limited touches, but it didn't matter when ORU's perimeter men started firing.

Riouse's first two treys started a 14-point run that sent the Eagles to a 24-10 lead. A little later, ORU hit four in rapid succession -- first Riouse, then two by Ehambe and another by Riouse -- and it was 36-15.

"We want to get the ball inside, but Oakland was really packing it in around Caleb and (senior center Mickey Michalec), and I'm sure IUPUI will try to play us the same way," Sutton said. "But (the Grizzlies) were giving us open 3's and our guys stepped up and made shots."

Interpreting the anthem

By LYNN JACOBSEN World Sports Writer

2/10/2006

'The Star Spangled Banner' meaningful for many on ORU's team.

Alycia Seay estimates she has heard "The Star Spangled Banner" roughly 5,000 times throughout her life.

The Oral Roberts junior basketball player still gets chills as she listens.

"The national anthem before a sporting event shows respect and honor for our country," she said. "Also, it makes me thankful for the country we are in. It just stirs up your emotions so much that by the time it's over, you're ready to play.

"When I think of the national anthem, I think of all the people who have fought and died for this country, just to give me the opportunity to play basketball."

But how does it affect her teammates, six of whom hail from borders beyond America.

"For some reason, the song has just caught Rachel (Watman)," Seay said. "We'll be in the weight room and she'll start humming or singing it. The other Australians start throwing stuff at her. They'll throw towels and call her a traitor. It's all in fun."

The Australian freshman said she likes the national anthem.

"I've actually tried to learn the words. The song gets stuck in my head and I just start singing," Watman said. "Leah (Cannon), my second best friend,

really gives me a hard time. The other Australians reject me from their group sometimes. It really is in fun."

Claudia Pereira, a junior from Brazil, has also tried to learn the words along with fellow countryman Marianna Camargo.

"When I look up at the United States flag, I think of the Brazil flag," Pereira said. "It just takes me back to Brazil. Marianna and I have been learning the words. We would like to sing it for our teammates sometime before a game."

It is the last verse that catches Tulsa senior and Australian Megan Moody.

"I love the last part of it," Moody said of the final verse that goes. "'O'er the land of the free and home of the brave.' I love that line. I think it's such a motivational end to it. Even though I'm not an American, I'm like yeah that's good."

Asked if she would stand during the anthem if it wasn't required, Moody said yes.

"Even though I'm not a citizen of the United State, this is my place here," she said. "I've been here for four years and I look at it as my second home.

"I'm respectful because it's America's anthem and I respect it. I'm in your country and I feel like I have to do that."

Oklahoma junior forward Leah Rush says her mind is on other matters immediately before a game.

"Actually, I'm thinking about the game," she said. "Any other time, when I'm not about to play, it's another feeling. But before a game, as soon as (the national anthem) starts, I say a quick little prayer and then my mind is on the game.

"I pray for our troops serving our country, for our team, that there are no injuries and to help us play the best we can."