Remember I warned you....

rlh

I'm not going to complain about the refs or the fact that our best shooter normally went 0-8 tonight...that happens....but I just wanted to let you ORU fans be forwarned that if the game Saturday is anything like tonight's game was.....Caleb Green needs to borrow some footballpads from Tulsa.....He will be beat up like nothing you've seen up to now....just remember I warned you.....if your refereeing crew allows them to get away with it, and they probably will in that bandbox they call a gym, you have serious trouble......Remember who warned you......

Thanks for the warning, but we already have enjoyed that experience. Caleb is sore & bruised after our games and that explains why he isn't scoring as much as he did before. Even though we seem to be playing the officials and our competition each game , there aren't enough of them to double & triple team every player on our team at the same time.

Bang Caleb all you want...and enjoy Riouse, Meloy, and Ehambe draining threes on you all night. Should be a great game either way.

I hope we can keep Caleb strong and healthy. He is the backbone of our team. It makes sense that IUPUI would try and shut him down. Our recent success from outside couldn?t come at a better time. The outside threat should help take some of the stress of our big guys down low.

IF and it's a huge IF, we had made our outside shots (9-23) from 3 point range and our best shooter and one of the best outside shooters in the conference going 0-9, we win pretty easily....it happens...to pull them out and give your stud (Green) a chance is something we couldn't do for ours (Oppland)

I think a couple of things are happening to the premier big men in the league, Green and Oppland. One is that other teams in the conference are keying their entire defensive strategy on these guys. They're seeing double, triple and even quadruple coverage on every possession. One overriding principle seems to be driving defenses - deny Green or Oppland the ball. Consequently, they're getting fewer touches.

The other thing is that they are absolutely getting PUMMELED under the basket and are getting little protection from the officials.

Okay, after I typed that I went to sportsline.com to see if the stats supported this, and found that Caleb Green LEADS THE NATION in both Free Throws Attempted, with 212 (ahead of Adam Morrison), and Free Throws Made, with 160 (ahead of J.J. Redick)!

So while I STILL think Caleb isn't getting the protection he should be getting under the basket, no player in the country has taken more free throw attempts! Amazing.

But the other aspect of that is the physical toll that that type of play MUST be taking on their bodies, as well as their minds. Not only are they battered and bruised, their faced, game in and game out, with getting more of the same. It's bound to affect their games, at least a little bit.

What's really amazing is the beating Caleb's taking when he doesn't have the ball. Constant forearms shoves in the back, lots of jersey clutching, etc. Opponents are being allowed to do WHATEVER they want to do to Caleb when our guards are settting up the offense, without penalty.

I remember once during the Oakland game here when one of OU's big men (Ritzema or McCloskey I think) literally held a fistfull of jersey the entire time Caleb went from block to block. And all that was in clear sight of the referee. I'm all for letting guys play, but that was a bit ridiculous.

.He will be beat up like nothing you've seen up to now....just remember I warned you.....if your refereeing crew allows them to get away with it, and they probably will in that bandbox they call a gym, you have serious trouble......Remember who warned you......

Unfortunately we won't be able to see the game, and it's difficult to get a sense for the physicality of a game on the radio, rlh, but it's hard to imagine it being worse than what we saw at Mabee against Chicago State. I wanted to yell, "Are you going to wait till you see blood to call a foul, J.D.?!?", to J.D. Collins, but he never got close enough to my corner of the court to hear at that point.

If our three point shooters can hit from the outside it will take pressure off of Caleb, both in the physical level of play, as well as to score.

What's really amazing is the beating Caleb's taking when he doesn't have the ball. Constant forearms shoves in the back, lots of jersey clutching, etc. Opponents are being allowed to do WHATEVER they want to do to Caleb when our guards are settting up the offense, without penalty.

I remember once during the Oakland game here when one of OU's big men (Ritzema or McCloskey I think) literally held a fistfull of jersey the entire time Caleb went from block to block. And all that was in clear sight of the referee. I'm all for letting guys play, but that was a bit ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more, osb, and I really don't understand it. How many fouls would have to be called before some of that is curtailed? Not many, I would guess. Do they let it go because it isn't directly affecting play? Or is there some other explanation?

What I love is the call of a hand check at one end of the court, while Caleb is getting mugged with no call at the other end.

Good refereeing used to be to let things go a little bit as long as it doesn't directly affect the play....I'm all for that, but what Dan is experiencing (and I'm sure Caleb too) is beyond that. How do you know that it doesn't directly affect the play that's been called....? It certainly keeps them from getting into position and getting the ball....I know it sounds like sour grapes, but I hate to see good players stopped by refereeing instead of good play. If they are outplayed fine, but when lesser players are allowed to hold and hit to stop them, then the game is getting out of hand.....(Just my opinion)

NOBODY in this league can stop these guys, rlh, so they're resorting to the kind of stuff we're talking about, and the refs aren't protecting them from illegal play.

Everything in your post is SPOT ON, in my opinion. I agree, I've always said let them play, but what these guys (Green and Oppland) are seeing is just ridiculous.

What kills me though is when Oppland and Green try to get out of the shirt grabbings and hard checks they will end up getting double fouls and basically it helps out the other team to get the free fouls on both of them and try to get them out of the game. During portions of the game I will just watch Green and watch exactly what all you guys have posted and then when that stupid double foul gets called I jump blow up, and there is nothing you can do about it (except yell at the ref which i do) Look forward to seeing oppland and green at the mabee center, maybe we won't see a whole bunch of hacks on them in that game.