Sun Belt Rumors

Bogus Smith

An excerpt from the Baseball America site shows that the University of New Orleans is moving forward to withdraw from the Sun Belt Conference. Could ORU be far behind in moving to a more southern conference with natural rivals in UA-Little Rock?

News Roundup - Baseball America

Posted Dec. 16, 2009 6:16 pm by Aaron Fitt

• On Friday, New Orleans took another step toward reclassifying as a Division III athletics program. The Louisiana State board of supervisers approved UNO’s decision to notify the Sun Belt Conference of its plans to withdraw from the league. UNO chancellor Tim Ryan said the school’s general fund coffers are subsidizing the athletics program about $700,000 a year, and with more budget cuts on the way, the athletics department could be facing a shortfall of nearly $3 million. In May, students narrowly voted down an increase in fees that would have provided enough funding for the athletics department to remain in Division I.

It looks grim, but the fight to keep UNO in D-I is not quite over. According to the (Baton Rouge) Advocate, Ryan must still develop an inclusive and comprehensive plan justifying the Division III move that must be approved prior to May 15 by the board.

“You’ve got a very, very short window of opportunity to go out and get some major donations,” LSU board member Jack Andonie told those who oppose the LSU move, according to the Advocate. “You’ve got to go out and act.”

UNO’s baseball program has a rich history, which includes 14 trips to regionals and one appearance in the College World Series, in 1984 under Ron Maestri. The Privateers made regionals in 2007 and ‘08 under coach Tom Walter, who left this summer to take over as head coach at Wake Forest.

I would be ALL for this Bogus! Just look at the teams in the west division of the Sun Belt. It would make a lot of sense for ORU to look into this.

In addition to the instant rivalries of the Arkansas teams and North Texas (ORU could finally get into Texas!) most teams are within driving distance so travel would be an upgrade. South Alabama has been the baseball power in the past but I have confidence ORU could compete and probably continue to dominate.

UNO is a non-football school in the Sun-Belt's west division and after losing New Orleans picking up Tulsa (another top 50 media market) might be a smart move. ORU has shown they can they can compete in baseball and basketball. Something to consider.