ORU OT Win Over Tulsa

eagle-eye

Not exactly what I expected. I thought we would run them out of the gym. But it was a very gutsy win by the Golden Eagles. We were down by as much as nine in the second half and by six with 1:30 to go. Two big three-pointers by Bigham were huge. This young team grew up today.

Not exactly what I expected. I thought we would run them out of the gym. But it was a very gutsy win by the Golden Eagles. We were down by as much as nine in the second half and by six with 1:30 to go. Two big three-pointers by Bigham were huge. This young team grew up today.

Dying to get your rundown of the game, Terry. Got out of my son's game, got in the car, and managed to catch the final few seconds of regulation, and then OT. Was surprised by both the tie AND by the low score. Sounded like we struggled to hit threes for most of the game, but caught fire when we needed to at the end.

May not have been what we expected, but a win is a win, especially sweet when it's over TU!!!

Congrats to Coach Fink and the team!!!! :clap::clap::clap:

TU probably feels successful in guarding Luper - she only scored eighteen!!! My guess is she was double-teamed all night.

An interesting line from the TU PR:

"Tulsa out-rebounded ORU, 52-38, but the Golden Eagles had 17 steals to TU's nine."

A deficit of fourteen rebounds may explain why ORU struggled to build the lead we've come to expect. Coach F. said in the pre-game that TU was bigger than us and probably more athletic in three of five positions. Those numbers, at least the first one, no doubt substantiate what he was saying.

One other thing - my impression is that conditioning didn't play as much of a role in this game as I would have expected. My impression from the games I've been to is that teams just can't keep up with us for forty minutes - looks like TU did. Or maybe they were fading a bit at the end, and that's how ORU got back in it, and ended up winning in OT.

Anybody that was there with an opinion?

TU played really tenacious defense - especially on Luper. They knew where she was at all times. She got very few open looks. The Hurricane also pressed us at times to disrupt our offense.

Tulsa had a height advantage and very quick/athletic. Our pressure caused lots of turnovers but we did not get a lot transition baskets. Most offense was out of a half court set.

The referees were poor. TU was helped in setting tempo by rough play (hand checks, etc) that was not called. Our shot blocking was called for fouls and we couldn't draw a foul down low.

ORU shot the ball poorly. We missed open looks, but most shots were heavily defended - a credit to TU.

Bigham's shots were huge.... an absolute dagger to TU. They led all of the second half (sometimes by as much a 9 points) and seemed to be in control. Until Bingham's dramatic 3-pointers. TU has to be devastated....

Wonder if we saw a replay of the Tony Heard/Eric Perry scenario from 10 years ago? ORU's Luper had a big article in the Tulsa World today and I don't think there was any mention of TU or their freshman phenom (Mayberry). I am sure that motivated the Hurricane like it did our men's team 10 years ago.

Congrats to the ORU ladies....playing at TU is always tough....TheEagleman knew they would put up a fight....big comeback wins build character....there was a lot of character shown by both ORU basketball teams the past few days!.... :clap::clap::clap:

You are right EM.... this was a 'grow up' game. The women could have easily folded, but instead they reached down and found a way to win. It was very sweet because TU thought they had the game in hand. This young team learned a lot about themselves today.

TU pLayed a very inspired ..........I'm tried of losing to ORU game. Jaci was big time at the end. It was the first time I've witness Kevi looking human, but she still had 18. TU clearly abused ORU on the boards to which most were over the back no calls. But, again these ORU ladies appear to have attitude and I like it. Nice road win!!!!!

Congratulations for Coach Finkbeiner and the team. Great win in a tough building.

How do you think the TU girls will do the rest of the season? Their coach has to be under a little bit of pressure.

Mayberry looks like she will be a great player, but she can't do it all.