Possible ORU pick-up

ORU-sisko

Jets sweep Western

By Mark Rountree

Sports Editor

Ask Rashad Moss how he?s doing, and most likely you will get the same answer every time.

?Blessed.??

The Northern Oklahoma College Enid basketball program feels the same way about Moss, who is entering the stretch drive of a good junior college basketball career with the Jets.

Moss was his solid self again Monday at the Mabee Center, shooting well from the field and controlling the backboards, leading the Jets to an easy 69-50 victory over Western Oklahoma State.

The 6-foot-7 sophomore center hit seven of nine field goals, pulled down nine rebounds and scored 14 points as the Jets improved to 11-12 overall and 2-1 in the Bi-State West. Western fell to 7-15 and 1-2.

The Lady Jets cruised in the women?s game, overwhelming the Lady Pioneers from the outset in a 76-49 victory. The NOC Enid teams will travel to Murray State on Thursday.

The 19-year-old Moss spoke with a recruiter from Oral Roberts University after Monday?s game. ORU is one of several colleges which are pursuing Moss. He also is being recruited by Texas-San Antonio, Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Eastern Illinois, Arkansas-Little Rock and Illinois State.

?I am considering ORU. It?s a good Christian school,?? said Moss. ?I want to go some place where I can glory in the Lord and play basketball.??

Moss said he likely will make a decision on his next college after the conclusion of the Jets? season.

Living in northwest Oklahoma for the last two years has been an adjustment for Moss, a native of Freeport, Grand Bahama, where he grew up less than a mile from the Atlantic Ocean.

?There aren?t any beaches around here, but there are many fields and cows,?? said Moss in his thick Bahaman accent. ?But I?m going to be sorry to go. I dwell on it many nights that I wish (NOC Enid) was a four-year school. I?ve enjoyed my time here, but it?s coming to an end.??

Moss has a special relationship with local minister Alan Seibel, whose family virtually has adopted Moss as one of their own.

?Alan and his family and I have had many talks,?? said Moss. ?Without them, my spiritual growth might not be where it?s at right now. Alan is like my godfather. I really appreciate God putting him into my life.??

Moss and the Jets ran up against an athletic outfit from Western Oklahoma on Monday.

Actually, they hardly were from western Oklahoma. The Pioneers? active roster included five players from New Jersey and one from New York City.

?They had jumpers,?? said Moss. ?But coach (Greg Shamburg) told us not to get into a running game with them and just be patient. We did and we came away with the victory.??

The Pioneers? athleticism did not translate into winning basketball on Monday as the Jets took the lead early and never got close to getting upset.

Robert Johnson led the Jets with 16 points, while Nolan Richardson added 15.

WOMEN

NOC ENID 76, WESTERN 49

There wasn?t really a big run for the Lady Jets. The whole first half was one as NOC Enid started fast and never let up.

The Lady Jets (17-7 overall, 3-0 Bi-State West) outscored Western 40-17 in the first 20 minutes, half of it during a 20-1 run. Haley Myers, Mara Kee and Jenni Williamson hit 3-pointers during the rally that turned an 8-4 lead into a 28-5 bulge.

NOC Enid harassed Western (9-13, 1-2) into a woeful shooting effort in the first half. The Lady Pioneers connected on just five of 20 shots from the field. Western finished 15 of 46 (32 percent). Western also was forced into 23 turnovers. But the Lady Pioneers shot well from the foul line, hitting 18 of 22.

NOC Enid coach Scott Morris was able to use his entire team, and 12 of the 13 players scored. Williamson led the way with 14 points. Kee, Pearle Hare and Myers each had nine points.

You know I love it when ORU gets recruits, but in that section where it says who else recruited them, just once I'd like it to say that one of our recruits was also offered scholarships by Duke, UNC, Texas, and UConn. That would be nice.

Dunno how good he is but sounds like he has character. Plus if he's playing center in his current school, he's gotta know a little about posting up and grabbing boards. All of which I'm a big fan of.