Pastor Billy Joe Daugherty Dies

tmh8286

Pastor Billy Joe Daugherty died this AM at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He was 57. He was diagnosed with lymphoma only a month ago. He spoke in chapel since school started. Kind of hard to believe.

The Rev. Billy Joe Daugherty dies

He was a great friend to ORU, and served as the interim president after Richard Roberts resigned.

You might want to remember his family in your prayers.

TheEagleman is very sad to hear that news... :( .....Billy Joe was a student at ORU while I attended and as I recall he was a very good guy and a wing chaplain....Prayers go out to his family as they grieve during this holiday season....however, they can certainly take comfort that Billy is no longer in pain and singing with my dad and heaven's choir tonight!...... :)

I remember going to worship at Sheridan Christian Center and then Victory at the Mabee Center with Pastor BIlly Joe preaching. He came to one of our classes at ORU and spoke to the students. He was so personable. Loved that laugh he had, too. His death was shocking to read.

He's in God's hands now. Thanks be to God for the life of Billy Joe. He touched us all!

I can remember coming to Tulsa and being amazed at how diverse (in ethnicity and socio-economic status) the church body was. Later learned that it was an extension of who he was. He was about loving people no matter what you looked liked or how much money you had. He will be missed.

I never attend Victory and have to say I can't remember ever hearing Billy Joe Daugherty speak. I met Billy Joe a couple of times in some social settings. He was always very humble and gracious.... and real. I came away impressed. I can also tell you that I know unbelievers who knew him or lived near him and they all said the same thing - he was unassuming and unpretentious.

Anyone attend Billy Joe's funeral service at the Mabee Center?

Though sad I'm sure it was inspiring.

Even though I don't live in Tulsa I'll miss him with us on this earth.

Here's a write-up on the memorial service for those that don't live in the area. It started at 1:30 and lasted four hours.

Billy Joe Daugherty: 'His life is still with us'

by: BILL SHERMAN World Religion Writer

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

12/1/2009 10:22:07 AM

People from around the world joined the Victory Christian Center family Monday afternoon in a rousing, nearly four-hour tribute to Victory's pastor, Billy Joe Daugherty, 57, who died Nov. 22 of cancer.

An estimated 12,000 people packed Oral Roberts University's Mabee Center for the memorial service, characterized by worship, preaching, a few tears, laughter and many personal stories about Daugherty, one of the country's best-known charismatic ministers.

Among the attendees were well-known national preachers, numerous Tulsa-area ministers, representatives of the Tulsa Jewish community and political leaders such as U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe and U.S. Rep. John Sullivan.

Billy Joe Daugherty: "His life is still with us"