Valpo

praetorfenix86

Yesterday I learned that Orville Redenbacher is from Valparaiso, Indiana. Valpo just moved up a notch in my book. If Homer Drew can find a way to make popcorn fluffier then I might just have to start liking Valpo, but that doesn't seem likely.

Yeah I noticed that awhile back as well on that old school commercial they've been airing. Doesn't do much for me...generic brand popcorn seems to taste just as good.

Orville Redenbacher gave us the popcorn we know and love today. He grew and tested thousands of different kinds of corn until he got a really fluffy and good tasting one. Without Orville, popcorn might not be so good. But I would still rather buy the cheaper walmart brand of popcorn.

That's why we have the Popcorn Festival every September to celebrate Orville (and his partner Charlie Bowman) who transformed popcorn into what it is now....Orville actually was from a small town in Indiana, went to Purdue and was sent to Valparaiso to work as an extension agent I believe. (Not sure about that since I wasn't here at the time)...just another of our claims to fame in the "Vale of Paradise"

Yesterday I learned that Orville Redenbacher is from Valparaiso, Indiana. Valpo just moved up a notch in my book. If Homer Drew can find a way to make popcorn fluffier then I might just have to start liking Valpo, but that doesn't seem likely.

Patricia Ireland grew up in Valparaiso. And I've also been told there were some prominent KKK groups from there a long time ago. Valpo has been about 99% white for a long time. That is changing somewhat and it really is a nice place to live and the school system is very good. Except for being in one of the highest heroin user population counties in the state, Valpo really is a Vale of Paradise - really.

Obviously you've never been to Texas.

Not sure your post was addressed to mine, but I did live 4 miles from the Texas border near Midland/Odessa in Hobbs, New Mexico once upon a time. Carlsbad caverns just south of there are absolutely beautiful! Hobbs is a desert communtity full of pump jacks, tumbleweeds, prairie dogs, snakes, and very hot summers and windy springs. Very flat too. You can see for miles. The people in Hobbs are very friendly to yankees and everybody else. I miss Hobbs.

Guest EagleBackr
I've also been told there were some prominent KKK groups from there a long time ago. Valpo has been about 99% white for a long time.

...considering some of the posts I've read on your message boards the past couple of years, I'm not surprised. Like the one a couple of weeks ago by the fan who said IUPUI's Ron Hunter was a disgrace to the coaching profession because he didn't display the appropriate level of dignity and decorum on the sideline. No mention made, however, of Oakland's Greg Kampe's histrionics. Wonder why? Or some more recent posts where former ORU standout Markius Barnes was labeled a "punk", and another player of the non-Caucasian persuasion was described as a "thug". Interesting choice of words, don't you think? I'm trying to think of the last time I heard either of those words used to describe a white player, but I'm stumped. I could go on and on, but then - don't I already? :wink:

...considering some of the posts I've read on your message boards the past couple of years, I'm not surprised. Like the one a couple of weeks ago by the fan who said IUPUI's Ron Hunter was a disgrace to the coaching profession because he didn't display the appropriate level of dignity and decorum on the sideline. No mention made, however, of Oakland's Greg Kampe's histrionics. Wonder why? Or some more recent posts where former ORU standout Markius Barnes was labeled a "punk", and another player of the non-Caucasian persuasion was described as a "thug". Interesting choice of words, don't you think? I'm trying to think of the last time I heard either of those words used to describe a white player, but I'm stumped. I could go on and on, but then - don't I already? :wink:

I wasn't referring in my comments about the KKK to anyone currently from Valpo. I know that most people in Valpo welcome people of all races, religions, cultures, etc. And that regardless of where you go in the entire world there are those minorities from every race who hate others simply because they are different from them and caucasions don't have a monopoly on that kind of hate. It happens even with Christians. :shock:

We shouldn't be so concerned about others' racisim or bigotry. We each carry the same sin within us that they have within them and we should take care of our own spiritual business and not get all self-righteous about "not being like them." (Dear God thank you that I am not like them) And we should never take for granted God's mercy towards us which we don't deserve. This is the sin of the presumption of mercy. We do better to beat our chests and look up to God and say God forgive me, have mercy on me for I am a sinner.