(TW) Deliberate foul almost 'backfired' on Golden Eagles

Dr. Cornelius

11/19/2009 10:39:00 AM

ORU head coach Scott Sutton admitted by phone late Wednesday night from Stanford, Calif., that his decision to deliberately foul with a three-point lead and 10 seconds left "almost backfired on us."

But Sutton had his reasons, and junior guard Rod Pearson hit an 18-footer as time expired, allowing the Eagles to escape with an important 83-81 road win over the Cardinal of the Pac-10. (Full Story)

Think we'll ever do that again? I'm guessing not a chance.

Not doing it hasn't worked out so well either, as the story points out. I think in a similar situation we'll do it again. Takes a little pre-planning to be ready when that situation arises, though. Can't really time it right and all if the team hasn't worked on it at least a bit.

Rather than say it almost backfired, I think you could make as strong a case - or maybe stronger - that we won BECAUSE we fouled. Had we not fouled they could have used up the remaining clock and had one of their very able sharpshooters put the game into overtime.

The play may not have worked out exactly as Scott was hoping, or had planned, but I think executing it like he did gave us a greater opportunity for an outright win.

At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I was impressed by Sutton's call to foul. Sure, he may have been the goat if Stanford ended up winning but the lesson in all of this is PUT A BODY ON THE FREE THROW SHOOTER. We have lost our share of games as Brown's article pointed out because we did not guard the 3 in the closing seconds. Never give them a chance to beat you.

TheEagleman agrees with the strategy to foul with a 3 pt lead late in the game but NOT with 10 seconds left on the clock....too many things can happen in 10 seconds....i think it's good with maybe 5 seconds or less.....yeah, Scott probably won't try that again.... |(

I agree, but we didn't lose to Creighton because of not fouling. We were only up 2 with 30 seconds left...

I liked the call to foul them last night, the way we defended the 3 in the second half made me nervous, and we had the double bonus.

But, then our guys would have to hit pressure FT's with a 1 pt. lead.... tough decisions. Glad I don't have to make that call!