Women come up short in Lawrence

tmh8286

Janae Voelker had a career high 29 points and Kevi Luper 24, but the Lady Golden Eagles came up short, losing to KU 106-80. I forgot about the game until after it was over, so I missed out on getting to listen, but it sounds like the team put in a great effort - just couldn't keep up with the Lady Jayhawks. Looks like they can still score, regardless the competition.

That's a lot of points on the board for the ladies....both teams must have been running and gunning!..... :wasntme:

So the Jayhawks put 64 points on the board in the first half?.....geez....sounds like Coach Finkbeiner needs to work on the defensive drills in practice this week..... |(

So the Jayhawks put 64 points on the board in the first half?.....geez....sounds like Coach Finkbeiner needs to work on the defensive drills in practice this week..... |(

Now see; that's just plain stupid.

We lost to a Top 20 team on their home floor, and we play an up tempo style this year.

Would you think better of the effort if we had lost 75-50? :@

Needs to work on defense????????? are you serious????????? Lets see, we play the number 20 team in the nation, we forced more turnovers than they did, we had as many fast break points, we played them within 4 points in the second half, they were soooo much bigger than us (hence they out rebounded us by 20) but you think we need to work on defense, I was at the game in KS, so unless you were there to see the effort these girls put forth. Keep the ridiculous comments to yourself please!

Needs to work on defense????????? are you serious????????? Lets see, we play the number 20 team in the nation, we forced more turnovers than they did, we had as many fast break points, we played them within 4 points in the second half, they were soooo much bigger than us (hence they out rebounded us by 20) but you think we need to work on defense, I was at the game in KS, so unless you were there to see the effort these girls put forth. Keep the ridiculous comments to yourself please!

Yeah - what he said!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Obviously, some of the people on this board don't know much about basketball....TheEagleman is pretty sure that if you chatted with Coach Finkbeiner this morning, he isn't very happy about giving up 106 points in a game no matter whom it's against....still, I didn't see the game so I'll reserve further comment.....I will agree that the 2nd half was a lot better than the first....still, no reason to be hating on TheEagleman.....I will let it go again, OT.....especially since most of us are tired of your act anyway.... :P;):wasntme:

Obviously, some of the people on this board don't know much about basketball....TheEagleman is pretty sure that if you chatted with Coach Finkbeiner this morning, he isn't very happy about giving up 106 points in a game no matter whom it's against.

Yeah, I'll be sure to ask him that for you, since I run into him once or twice a week this time of year. |(

All I know is that on Thursday, he and his staff were in great spirits and looking forward to the challenge of a tough non-conference schedule. They know they have some great talent, and they are excited about what this season may bring.

And, while I certainly can't speak for them, I would imagine they won't waste one second of their time this morning wondering what defensive drills some "fan" 2000 miles away thinks they should be running at Monday's practice.

Finally, as for "people on this board who don't know much about basketball", I must point out that the women's game has a number of rules that are different than the men's game, which in situations like this one can lead to higher scoring and more lopsided victories, not the least of which is the girls play with a 30-second shot clock, instead of the men's 35-second clock.

But then, I'm sure you knew that already... :doh:

Eagleman, I will respectfully have to disagree with you! I have known Finkbeiner for over 20 years, followed him at Southern Naz as well as ORU. I do talk with him at least 2 or 3 times a week. I would bet that he was happy with the effort his defense put forth. forcing 20 turnovers against the number 20 team in the nation is not an easy task. KU shot 66% from the field in the first half and the majority of those were contested mid range to outside jump shots. I would be willing to bet the KU women will play for the Big Xii championship this year, they are that good! And as for knowing anything about basketball, I did play in High School and College and also have Reffed plenty of games, I may just know a thing or two

When you are outmatched you are just outmatched, what can you do

The point of playing these early season games is to learn something about your team and prepare for league play. The great thing about college basketball as opposed to college football is that one loss doesn't ruin the entire season.

Luper looks to be a very significant scorer for an incoming freshman and will help against teams like SDSU.

TheEagleman never said that the ORU ladies didn't play hard vs. KU and that they didn't give a 110% effort.....I'm just pretty sure that Coach Fink can't be pleased with giving up 106 pts especially 64 in the first half....yes, I know about the 30 second clock...it does make for a quicker game....and TheEagleman never said that EVERYBODY didn't know anything about basketball on this board....so listen, OT...when you run into the Finkbeiner this week, I will trust you to ask his thoughts on the game and report them here honestly.....I am sure he's proud of his team's effort....but he also is probably a coach that wasn't pleased with the end result.....a 26 pt. loss....and I am also guessing that he would agree with TheEagleman and others that you should stop trying to pick fights with your guys "on your own team"...it gets old, brother....save it for the dudes from NDSU and SDSU.... |(

Hey, Jonesy....TheEagleman isn't knocking your knowledge of the game....i understand your points....and as I said, I didn't see the contest.....so perhaps I am offbase in the commenting....not meaning to offend you....but as I said above, I can't believe ANY coach would be happy giving up 64 pts in a half....let me know what Finkbeiner has to say....TheEagleman isn't saying ORU didn't try....i'm sure they gave it all they had....but you are right....just like the men losing at Wake...we were up against a better team.....no disgrace in that....as for the other guy who commented....well, he's just an.....ah, i'll just let it go....... ;)

I'm typically unbiased when it comes to the OT vs Eagleman rants but I have to say something this time. You can't jump all over the guy who expresses his opinion and on top of that question his "fan" hood. This is crazy talk.

Eagleman, you say crazy/inappropriate/questionable stuff all the time, but what you said this time should not be a big deal. 8)

Had a great face to face with coach Fink today, he was pleasantly upbeat about the performance given by his defense against KU! Said one or two of the girls looked a little shell shocked but other than that was very happy!

Had a great face to face with coach Fink today, he was pleasantly upbeat about the performance given by his defense against KU! Said one or two of the girls looked a little shell shocked but other than that was very happy!

Sounds about right.