Rotnei Clarke's 100 pt game

donkeylarry

Okay, he only scored half a hundred (51), but he scored 20 in the first 8 minutes and I said he was on pace to score 100. I think he hit his first seven 3 pointers.

In the second half, they really wanted him to get 50 and he was jacking up everything. He still finished 13-17 from 3. They took him out with 5 minutes left when he hit a 3 to get to 51.

A new Arkansas scoring record and new SEC 3-point record.

I was one of the few fans there. A highlight in what may be a tough year.

Oh, and Arkansas did squeak out the win 130-68.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=293170008

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=293170008

Probably because this isn't the Arkansas message board. Feel free to read the police reports over there :D:D:D

Probably because this isn't the Arkansas message board. Feel free to read the police reports over there :D:D:D

Then why has there been a thread about how Arkansas coach Pelphrey is "dead man walking" and how bad Arkansas sucks on the board for months with no mention of ORU?

There's a thread on New Orleans that doesn't mention ORU.

Another person posted about Rotnei's game the same time I did, so there are at least two of us who think that news regarding the son of a former ORU basketball staff member, a player who was the main topic of this board a couple years ago, might be interesting to ORU fans.

Then why has there been a thread about how Arkansas coach Pelphrey is "dead man walking" and how bad Arkansas sucks on the board for months with no mention of ORU?

There's a thread on New Orleans that doesn't mention ORU.

Another person posted about Rotnei's game the same time I did, so there are at least two of us who think that news regarding the son of a former ORU basketball staff member, a player who was the main topic of this board a couple years ago, might be interesting to ORU fans.

You make good points, TE, but it basically comes down to this: it's Dr. Cornelius' board and he pretty much has say over what goes where. He felt this topic was more appropriate in the "Free For All" category. It will still be read by those that you want to see it, though. Those that are regulars on here scan all categories.

Louisville destroyed Arkansas 96-66 Tuesday night in St. Louis.

I bring this up partly because we play Louisville in a month's time, and partly to make a point about John Pelphrey's Arkansas teams.

The Razorbacks were statistically one of the worst teams in all of D-1 last year in defending against the three-point shot.

Last night, Louisville launched 38 three-pointers, hitting 15 (40%) against Arkansas' zone. I watched some of this game, and trust me: the Cardinals could have launched fifty 3's if they had wanted to.

My point is this: if you have guards who can shoot the three, yet are so poor on defense that they give up as many (or more, in this case) threes on the other end, what have you really accomplished?

Look, we may lose by 30 points ourselves when we play at Louisville in December - they're a really good team in a lot of ways.

But, I feel pretty confident we won't give up half as many three-point shots, because our guards actually play on both ends of the floor.

Anecdote regarding Oscar Schmidt, great Brazilian basketball player:

During the 1992 Olympics, a reporter asked him why he shot all the time, while his teammates were forced to set screens for him and never got the rock. Oscar replied, "Some people, they play the piano. And some people, they move the piano."

Rotnei is a piano player, not a piano mover.

Even when the hogs get Fortson back, starting two guards under six feet tall is not a great way to defend the 3, no matter what the effort.

Anecdote regarding Oscar Schmidt, great Brazilian basketball player:

During the 1992 Olympics, a reporter asked him why he shot all the time, while his teammates were forced to set screens for him and never got the rock. Oscar replied, "Some people, they play the piano. And some people, they move the piano."

Rotnei is a piano player, not a piano mover.

Even when the hogs get Fortson back, starting two guards under six feet tall is not a great way to defend the 3, no matter what the effort.

That's a GREAT line!! It may illustrate why Rotnei, as much as we wanted him, may have struggled on a Scott Sutton team. Most of the time, the guys that get the PT on Scott's teams are the guys that are the movers . . .

Ark. is pretty bad right now and need those other guys back fast.

I have to admit watching Rotnei play last night he is a lot better than i thought he would be. He was hitting 3's and getting to the basket pretty well also and i wasn't sure he could do that.

He is not a point guard at that level although would be able to play some here at point. He does not use a lot of energy on the defensive side but he is pretty much their only scoring option right now so that may part of it.

Put him at the 2 guard here with his shooting ability and that would open everything up for everyone else. He would make a big difference.

Going to lose out on those type of players almost every year as that is what happens to smaller schools. The coaches have done a great job to just keep working hard and getting the next guy.

Craion and Niles are pleasant surprises as i think Javier will be also.

Ark. is pretty bad right now and need those other guys back fast.

I have to admit watching Rotnei play last night he is a lot better than i thought he would be. He was hitting 3's and getting to the basket pretty well also and i wasn't sure he could do that.

He is not a point guard at that level although would be able to play some here at point. He does not use a lot of energy on the defensive side but he is pretty much their only scoring option right now so that may part of it.

Put him at the 2 guard here with his shooting ability and that would open everything up for everyone else. He would make a big difference.

Going to lose out on those type of players almost every year as that is what happens to smaller schools. The coaches have done a great job to just keep working hard and getting the next guy.

Craion and Niles are pleasant surprises as i think Javier will be also.

I just don't think an SEC team can do worth a darn in league play without a really quick guy at the point, and a really long athlete at the 2 spot, for offensive and defensive purposes.

Any SEC team who doesn't have that combination on the floor for most of the game is going to finish about like Arkansas did last year...