Perez signs to play D-I baseball

ORUalum

corpus christi pipeline...david castillo and rene recio worked out pretty well for ORU

20091111-230021-pic-856622008_t160.jpg

(excerpt)

CORPUS CHRISTI — It took about eight years before Steve Castillo had Division I scouts sniffing around the Moody baseball program.

The noses arrived much sooner at John Paul II.

Senior Joey Perez on Wednesday signed a national letter of intent with Oral Roberts University in Oklahoma. Perez is the school’s first baseball player to receive a scholarship.

“It took me a little longer at Moody, but Joey deserves to be a Division I player,” said Castillo, whose team will field its first senior class this season. “Being a new program it’s kind of hard to sell. He’s leading the way for the rest of the program. That’ll help because the younger class is really good.”

http://www.caller.com/news/2009/nov/11/perez-signs-to-play-d-i-baseball/

Perez hit .451 — .468 during district — and led South Texas with 14 home runs. He finished with 61 RBI and a .918 slugging percentage.

:o

The proof will be on 1) if he is drafted in the MLB Draft and 2) if he is, whether he comes to ORU. If #1 comes true, then he's playing some good competition to get the stats that he's achieved. If #2 happens, then we have a three-year potential star on our hands. I hope he's a #2!

Nice pick up...will he play OF or pitch for ORU?... :)