ORU v. SEOSU

Bogus Smith

After starting the game in the hole against SE Oklahoma State by a 9-0 score, the Ladies took control of the game and is currently ahead 73-41. Kevi Luper looks really good (albeit against D-II competition), but currently has 22 points. I predict at this time that Kevi will be the Newcomer of the Year in the Summit League. Pretty early for a prediction like this, but she is very active on the floor and now I understand why she was the Gatorade Player of the Year in Oklahoma last year. Dominique Allen has improved and Crystal Turner and Georgia Jones are picking up where they left off last year. If you're in town, you need to take the opportunity to see the ladies play against Texas-Pan America on the 13th.

Excellent recap, Bogus. Jerry's been "snakebit" by injuries and other challenges in the past few seasons - I'd sure like to see this team do some damage. I know we weren't playing Tennessee - but any time a team hits the century mark, you know you've got some talent.

Three names - Luper (FRESHMAN!), Voelker, Jones - worth the cost of admission. Those three showed true star quality last night. But this team is LOADED with stars - FRESHMEN Jaci Bigham and sophomore Jordan Pyle, Turner, Allen and Quintas all played really well. Also, for the first time that I can remember we have a forward that has the size, power and SKILL to dominate in the paint in Alex Adekunle, another FRESHMAN. Expect BIG THINGS from this lady over the next four years. She came in and in only eleven minutes of play scored ten points and absolutely dominated at her position. Granted, the Southeastern team was a bit undersized, but this gal showed tremendous skill in the post already.

The other noteworthy thing last night was that this team pushed, pushed, pushed the ball up the court on EVERY possession, resulting in quite a few easy buckets. I have to give credit to Southeastern, though - they were back on defense on just about every ORU possession - not that it helped them much. But ORU was looking down court on every rebound, and just about every outlet pass was made on the run to a streaking player well down court, and I'd say that about half the time resulted in a direct drive to the bucket. Very fun to watch.

There have been a number of women's teams that I've enjoyed, and some players that I thought were truly great, but I don't think that Jerry has had a team like this one since he's been here. It will be interesting to see how durable they prove to be in terms of injuries, and how they do against larger, more athletic teams. Last night they looked very, very impressive. I suspect that this team has the ability to dramatically increase the fan base for women's basketball.