ORU's great challenge - Tulsa World (2-5-2006)

ORUTerry

ORU's great challenge

By JOHN E. HOOVER World Sports Writer

2/5/2006

The Golden Eagles must replace eight key seniors from last year's squad.

It's a rebuilding year at Oral Roberts. In more ways than one.

ORU, the most consistent and successful college baseball team in the state for eight years running, will look significantly different in 2006 -- on the field and off.

On the field, the Golden Eagles lost eight important seniors -- guys like Dennis Bigley, Rene Recio, Michael Hollimon, Jon Tackett and Brian Hanson -- who can't simply be replaced by a sparkling recruiting class.

And off the field, venerable J.L. Johnson Stadium -- cutting edge when it opened in 1978, still shiny in 1998 -- has gotten a $1.5 million facelift.

"It's one-of-a-kind," ORU coach Rob Walton said of his stadium.

He could say that about his ballclub, too.

While one-time powerhouses Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have languished in the middle of the rugged Big 12 Conference since the league's inception in 1997 and have routinely fallen short of the NCAA Tournament, ORU has dominated the baseball-challenged Mid-Continent Conference and has seized a regional bid every year since 1998.

This year, though, the Golden Eagles face their greatest challenge: filling the cleats of some of the school's most decorated stars.

"It's a new group," Walton said. "But I don't think we're rebuilding by any means. It's kind of regrouping and going forward."

Walton's first year was a raging success, a Division I-best 50-11 record and a near regional upset of eventual national champion Texas in Austin. Last season, the Golden Eagles endured an unparalleled string of injuries but still finished 42-20 and put a regional scare into Clemson.

But those teams were led by talented and seasoned upperclassmen. Walton's club this season could find itself leaning on as many as 10 newcomers.

"I like our athletes," Walton said. "But they haven't played at this level yet. There'll be some growing pains, I'm sure. But when it's all said and done, we'll get better. And we'll have a chance to be better."

Foremost, Walton must replace Bigley, who shattered the school record for pitching victories (41) and ended third in strikeouts (319). He was also a clutch hitter, driving in 146 runs in his four seasons.

"We'll miss Bigley. That's a guy that's impossible to replace," Walton said. "But we're hoping we'll make up for him in some other facets of the game, maybe by scoring a little more or some other guys stepping up out of our bullpen."

Walton said an unsettled bullpen is his greatest concern. But if relief ace Daniel Greenwalt (team-high 27 appearances in 2005, 2.38 earned run average) gets only a little help, that should be fine.

Starting pitching seems to be a strength, with Edmond Santa Fe left-hander Taylor McIntyre (8-6, 3.27) and Union righty Nick Jones (8-2, 2.30) returning as seniors. Jones shut down Division I-leading College of Charleston (.364 average) last year at the Clemson Regional with a two-hit shutout, and McIntyre did it to Texas in 2004 with a three-hitter at the Austin Regional.

"We've got two (aces)," Walton said, "and we'll roll them out that way."

Not all the news is good. Memorial freshman Marcus Tackett was penciled in as a starting pitcher and the primary third baseman, but shoulder surgery will force him to miss the season.

ORU returns '05 freshman All-American outfielder Kelly Minissale (he moves from right field to center) and senior shortstop Tim Torres (who comes in from center field). Behind the plate, sophomore Brian Aguailar is back. Platoon slugger Travis DeBondt is also back.

But they'll need help from a lot of newcomers -- newcomers who might not fully comprehend the standards that have been set by those who came before them.

"(ORU's tradition) does matter to them," Walton said. "I think part of the reason why they chose us is we have a winning program and they want to be a part of that kind of tradition. And these guys are good players."

And they'll be playing in a souped-up stadium.

Down the right field line is a 2,500-square-foot, state-of-the-art weight room that overlooks the field. A floor above that is the Jim Brewer Hall of Champions, a luxury suite and hall of fame that is expected to be complete by April 1.

"It's a great view from up there," Walton said. "It's a one-of-a-kind facility. I don't know of anybody that's got one with that kind of weight room and that kind of facility in the stadium."

The ORU bullpen now spans the right field fence from the foul pole to the gap. A second phase of construction that includes a multi-purpose indoor practice facility just outside the left-field side of the stadium is a few years away.

"It's just made it that much better of a park," Walton said, "and I think it's already one of the best parks in the country."