ORU lays off 124 while outsourcing services TW (10/10/09)

vcboy2000

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20091010_11_A9_OralRo6845

Wow! I don't know the details of this situation, but it looks like Rutland is not afraid to make the tough decisions early. We're getting to see his business side right away. I'm sure that making this decision and announcing it to those departments was no fun. I hope it was done as tastefully as possible, and that they're giving the campus post office, facility managment, and copy center employees a decent severance package. This announcement was probably strategically placed to be made at the start of Fall Break to minimize the negative publicity and impact on the employees and students. Does anyone have any history of knowledge or experience related to these types of decisions in business?

I've heard from several sources that Rutland, while extremely thankful to the Green family for all they've done for the University, wants to cut reliance on their largess as quickly as possible - actually shortening the timetable for reaching "economic sustainability" set up by Mart Green and the Trustees. The reality is, in spite of the tremendously improved situation at ORU now over two years ago, the University is still operating at a deficit and Rutland intends to remedy that as quickly as he possibly can.

It appears that at least some of the people affected by the layoff will be eligible to be re-hired by the contracted service providers. I hope that that includes the majority of them.

Also, keep in mind that, with cuts as deeply as they are at the University, athletics is not immune. I think we're still waiting to see how the athletic programs will be effected, but at least some changes are not doubt coming.

I might use this opportunity to say, your Golden Eagle Club membership, as well as your donation to the program, is needed more now than maybe at any time in the past. Be sure to support athletics to the very best of your ability!!

folks the good drclean was one of those cut however it is good we will be working at ORU and we will be on campus even though we are work for another company, Suduxo still lots of question to be answered but this is for the better of ORU.

folks the good drclean was one of those cut however it is good we will be working at ORU and we will be on campus even though we are work for another company, Suduxo still lots of question to be answered but this is for the better of ORU.

So sorry to hear that, drclean. I hope that things work out for you with Sodexo. I know that you relocated from Iowa to be at ORU - hopefully this ends up being a smooth transition for you. Please keep us posted.

With such a large number being affected by this staff reduction it only stands to reason that we would know someone that was. I trust it will all work out.