TU Hosting UALR - @ 1:00 PM On A Work Day?

Old Titan

Here's a head-scratcher involving two upcoming ORU opponents:

ESPN Set To Televise UALR-Tulsa Game

By Jeff Slatton

Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

Friday, August 28, 2009

LITTLE ROCK - The UALR men’s basketball team is expected to make its first national television appearance in more than two years this November.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette has learned UALR and Tulsa have agreed to meet Nov. 17 as part of ESPN’s College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon. Game time is set for 1 p.m. at the Reynolds Center on ESPN.

UALR Coach Steve Shields confirmed the teams had signed a contract for the game but did not want to comment further. Neither UALR nor Tulsa has released a 2009-2010 schedule.

National television remains a possibility for UALR’s Dec. 12game against Memphis at Verizon Arena. UALR also is being considered for a nationally televised game during Sun Belt Conference play. The Sun Belt Conference will release its television schedule in October.

UALR’s last national television appearance came Nov. 14, 2007, as part of the Coaches Vs. Cancer Classic at Lubbock, Texas. UALR lost 93-59 to Texas Tech in a second-round game broadcast on ESPN2.

Last season’s marathon lineup began with Memphis hosting a game at 11 p.m. Central. It continued with 14 games - some matching women’s teams - on three networks around theclock, wrapping up with a game between Kentucky and North Carolina.

The 2009 lineup has not been announced by ESPN. It was announced last year on Sept. 24.

For UALR to participate, it apparently took a scheduling swap and the cooperation of Ole Miss, Alabama State and Tulsa.

Ole Miss released its schedule last week and was to open the season against Alabama State on Nov. 13, followed by a home game against UALR on Nov. 16. UALR and Ole Miss signed a two-year home-and-home contract this summer.

UALR already had signed to play a two-year home-and-home series starting at Tulsa. But when Tulsa had the opportunity to play at home in the Nov. 17 event, it apparently sought out an opponent and found the Trojans to be a good fit.

The Trojans needed to rework the first week of their schedule, though. Ole Miss Coach Andy Kennedy was able to get Alabama State to swap dates with UALR. Ole Miss then released an updated version of its schedule Wednesday.

UALR now will open the season at Ole Miss on Nov. 13, while Alabama State will play at Ole Miss on Nov. 16.

Once that was settled, UALR was able to sign its contract for the game with Tulsa.

Tulsa finished 25-11 last season and figures to be picked near the top of Conference USA this season. UALR finished 23-8 and won the Sun Belt Conference’s West Division championship but is in a rebuilding mode after losing four of its five starters from that team.

UALR and Tulsa played a home-and-home series in 2007 and 2008, with both teams winning at their home arena.

UALR will open with consecutive road games for the second consecutive season. Last year, UALR won games at Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo and Pepperdine before returning home to defeat Louisiana Tech.

UALR’s only other national television appearance in the Shields era came Feb. 26, 2005, when the Trojans defeated Louisiana-Lafayette 64-63 in their final game at Verizon Arena (then Alltel Arena). That game was also on ESPN2.

UALR has made several appearances on regional television through Comcast Sports Southeast, Cox Sports Television and ESPN Regional Television.

You know, I get it that it's tempting to accept any crumb ESPN will throw your way when it comes to TV exposure. Heck, if ESPN, ESPN2, or even ESPNU asked ORU to host a televised game at 1:00 p.m. on a Tuesday, I guess we would take it in a heartbeat.

But I highly doubt this was the big-time game TU had in mind for a coveted slot on The Mother Ship. For ORU fans, though, it provides an excellent opportunity to land some choice tickets to preview both teams before we play them - can't imagine this game will be anywhere near a sell-out.

And I'm glad I'm not the marketing guy responsible for filling seats to an early season match-up between two mid-major teams, in the middle of a work day, while secondary schools are still in session but letting out for the afternoon, in a game that's being televised to anyone in the area that gets ESPN. :sweat:

I will try to be there to scope out future opponents. I also assume that cheap (free) tickets will be everywhere as TU tries to fill the arena.

Sounds like the perfect time for a TU Dollar Dog Day in order to help sell some tickets..... :yawn:

For a Tuesday afternoon game at 2:00 on the east coast and 12:00 in the Mountain (sparcely populated) Time Zone, TU and UALR will be lucky to have 100,000 viewers watching their game. If the game is interesting, they may have highlights played, but otherwise, ESPN will move past it for more intriguing matchups. Tough way to get TV exposure. I think I'd rather have our FCS and Bracket Buster opportunity.

The article mentioned that UALR has lost 4 out of 5 starters from last year's team and are in somewhat of a rebuilding mode. I hope that bodes well for a Golden Eagle victory at UALR in late November.

Heck....we should have beat UALR last season....we blew that game at Mabee in the last 2 minutes..... :doh:

Yes, but like OT said, we would have jumped at the chance to do the same thing. All of the negatives don't outweigh that one positive of the national marketing and publicity from the Mothership. I'm sure our coaches will enjoy having having that opportunity to scope them out early in person though.

I did not mean to sound like I was criticizing TU decision to schedule the game. Regardless of the time or date, I think you have to schedule a game that is nationally televised. You can't beat the marketing aspect - even if the stands are somewhat empty.

I did not mean to sound like I was criticizing TU decision to schedule the game. Regardless of the time or date, I think you have to schedule a game that is nationally televised. You can't beat the marketing aspect - even if the stands are somewhat empty.

The underlying story here is that even higher mid-majors (like a TU) get led around by the nose by the TV lords, just like Summit League teams do in the BracketBuster.

That's why I have a lot of respect for Scott Sutton saying "No" to the BracketBuster TV exposure last year, after the league wouldn't budge on rescheduling our two conference games that week.

TheEagleman thinks that this game could have a huge crowd because people just love a reason to take a half day off from work and students would just blow off a class or two...maybe TU would even suspend classes that afternoon...I am sure ORU would if it mean a large crowd on a national TV game....how about ORU-TU on a weekday afternoon on ESPN?...think the University and students wouldn't love that?.....it would have my vote!.... :clap:

Hummmmmmm...."Played by ESPN"...???...TheEagleman is interested....tell us more, Gold..... :x

I think this is a great opportunity to bring out last year's Jamaican night promotion. :drunk:

I would be surprised if the current administration did things like cancel classes for basketball games.